I have spied some wondrous New Look 6000 Polka Dot Frocks coming out of the woodwork. Take this one here by Sue at Sewin’ Steady & this one also by Pixie Sam at a Little of What you Fancy ….I suspect there might be a last minute flurry of February activity.
I am keeping my eyes peeled on the Polka Dot Frock Fest Flickr Group ready & waiting …I am looking forward to doing a round up post before I update the gallery, but first, I have finally finished my very own New Look 6000 to show you.
I thought I would show you the finished pics today, & then present another post explaining how I got myself out of rushing headlong into lining without thinking through the order, or looking up any advice (typical me!) later this week, in case it can help anyone else.
Now remember I’ve made this for an April wedding (untypically this February challenge meant that I didn’t leave the making until the last minute! Nice feeling !)
It’s made out of a sort of crepe de chine (polyester) that I bought at the Birmingham Rag Market & is the same used for my Eliza M Pussy Galore blouse. I sewed them in parallel which was handy, same thread on the machine, two garments on the go at the same time. When I had to pause sewing this dress due to zip inadequacies, it meant I could go ahead & sew the blouse with minimum fuss!
So I chose to make View A with the side gathers & cap sleeves. I may make the fabric rose to attach for the wedding itself, but for now here it is. You’ll notice that my gathers are on the right, not left side, this is because the front piece is cut as a whole (not on the fold) & I got my right/wrong side of fabric in reverse to what I should have!
I’ve lined it with mustard polycotton to hopefully give it more structure & make it comfy to wear. It also dispenses with the need for facings (hurrah!) (I used the plain darted front to make the lining with the same back piece).
I even found some red spotty ribbon to make bra-strap holders 🙂
So I fitted this dress as I went along, not really sure how this gathered waist would work. How can it produce the right shape for girly lumps & bumps when it sits on one side only at the waist? I clearly need to go on a dart manipulation crusade & I might have a chance of understanding. For now though, I trusted & tried. I was keen for it not to have too much ease though as the gathers over the stomach might have appeared balloony? I therefore made it a bit smaller in the bust & hips than my last New Look 6000, which is pretty roomy.
Therefore when I could at last wear it, I felt it needed to be put through its paces, albeit gently, no hoovering to be done in this frock!
It’s a very close fit at the back, I’ve just about nailed the right size for my back. It’s a shame that the sleeve lining is poking out though. The zip? Now a 22″ & that’s not too long I tell you. I used a lapped zipper (like I describe here) but you can bet the first time the 14″ zip went in SO perfectly. The 22″ zip, of course, did not behave, resulting in a couple of unpickings.
Oh look! We’ve a visitor! She’s returned to rekindle the original Frock Fest. And she’s still got a thing for botany ….
Now the thing is, I’ve got these white shoes (vintage Bally T-bars) but absolutely nothing else to wear with it: no handbag, & no jacket. I am currently trawling Pinterest for inspiration for what needs to be the right kind of 60s style jacket.
Phew, I can bend forward & water “that” plant with out any over exertion on the seams!! “Love Train” here I come!!!
So that’s me & my Polka Dot Frock! Let me know when you’re there & ready to show off yours. My blog hosting doesn’t always pick up incoming links, so I I can’t rely on that guiding me to your makes – just let me know in a comment & I’ll come visiting 🙂