I hadn’t intended to run update number 4 right next to update number 5, but that’s the way it goes sometimes. The final update for Me Made May 2013, needs to be made, as it is now June. But can someone tell me who put an extra day into May? I truly believed that Thursday was the last day of May…as you’ll see by my desperate picture for 31st.
I’m afraid the pics are not up to scratch – we have not had the light this last week really & I’ve literally had to grab moments to capture the daily outfits. But hopefully at least one will amuse you …not the most scenic of surroundings – can you guess?
So, where did we leave off? Let’s get back to Monday ..
A bank holiday, day off work. Lots of cooking and not as much sewing as I would like, but I thought I’d show you my temporary arrangements…I’m experimenting with my machines downstairs in the conservatory since this room is my favorite in the whole house. I’ve found a picnic table, but it does seem to be bowing in the centre. It also judders uncontrollably if I attempt a faster speed on my overlocker. Drinks have to be placed elsewhere!
Back to work. So I have already said that my Robson Trench coat has been a star this month. Well, this week was a week of deluges, and the coat I am glad to report is most definitely waterproof. Ye ha! But this day it did not stop raining. I got wet four times. This is the result at the end of my walk home…
- Cowl neck dress, Simplicity 2580
- My new grass green cardigan, McCalls 6708. I will blog about it soon, promise as there is a lot to tell! (The reason why it has made its appearance so late in May …)
I haven’t ever worn this skirt into the office and was tempted to pair it with the green cardigan, but that felt a step too far in terms of colour. I need to be more bold at work. But I was bold in terms of photo backdrop. Delightful, I hear you say! I took this at the end of the day before leaving to go home (trainers on, you’ll note). I was on tenterhooks hoping that no one would burst in & catch me, posing around, taking photos in the ladies‘ ….it was this shot, only this shot. No contingency for failure.
- Anna Marie Horner skirt ( my own pleated basic skirt)
- Colette scalloped Violet blouse
- Wisdom cardigan
- And yes, tights (bought)
A big event to manage at work today. I needed something corporate yet layerable, as being too hot does not help in times of panic.
- Maria Denmark, Day to Night drape top
- McCalls 6708 cardigan
- Secret Sari pencil skirt (now too big)
- Oh yes, and tights, at the end of May – not made by me I hasten to add!
The extra day in May that surprised me. I got dressed without thinking I needed to take a picture. I would be changing at work (in those very same toilets you see above) for gym afterwards. Photos at home would only be possible if I re-dressed or dressed up Barbarella. Therefore I settled for the lazy sneaky view …
- Grass green McCalls cardigan, as above.
- Black day to night Maria Denmark drape top
- Polka dot Deer & Doe Chardon skirt.
- Bare legs – woo hoo!
So what are my reflections on this month’s challenges?
- First of all what totally crappy weather we had – I have a wardrobe of un-worn summer dresses. But on the plus side, the Robson Trenchcoat is a star.
- I have other things not worn this month, some tops for example. Being limited to a few cardigans restricted the tops I could wear under them. Plus, these cardigans on the whole being grey I found limiting in terms of brightness & colour potential sometimes ….
- I did achieve what I set out to in Me Made May which was to put more effort into how I dressed, and to cheer up through my clothes and a bit of slap. Well, I have already admitted that “Make Up is not all it’s cracked up to be” (my favorite quote from the comments, thanks Liza Jane!). So I wear make up to work & for going out. I only have one red lipstick, which seems to stay in my bag (thinking erroneously that I will reapply it during the day). I need another – one for the morning as I leave, the other to kid myself that I will undergo lip maintenance during the day.
- In races I did wear me made running clothes, which was fun & ensured that I was visible to my wonderful cheerleaders in the crowd
- I wore me made undies (pants) for about 70% of the time & am now very clear about which are my favorite pants & those that I dreaded wearing (ha ha ha!!)
- I have plenty of me mades. There were no outfit repeats. But many of the things I wore are now too big. I was forever pinching the back waistband & looking at the “jodphur effect” hips. These have now been “moved sideways” to hang in the “wardrobe in the spare room”, a fate dreaded by all loyal garments since they are desperately unlikely to receive the alterations they need to bring them back into use by this sewster who likes the buzz of a new project!
- In discovering that much of my carefully constructed and coordinated wardrobe is now too big I have been sewing this month without a plan, but with a certain amount of desperation to fill some essential gaps (eg casual trousers, skirts…more you’ll see soon). My desperation sewing, by not being planned is less likely to produce the coherent and coordinating look that I achieved last year. Unless of course, by sewing from my fabric stash, which has been bought at least with certain key colours in mind, & adhering to certain rules, I have already ensured this from the start. We shall see!
- My photos were on the whole rushed & grabbed rather than in beautiful surroundings. I had started off well & actually did take camera with me to work, but the weather was so crummy, & work so busy, that it was just too dreary to go out for photo shoots. That would be something I wanted to improve next time.
So how about you? Did you enjoy your own experience? Any requests of me next time I do it ? I’m sure there’s some wacky ideas out there (Can’t promise to deliver, but I aim to please!!)
Here are links to the rest of the month’s daily outfits ..thank you for all of your support during the month
- Me Made May update number 1
- Me Made May update number 2
- Me Made May update number 3
- Me Made May update number 4
Now, believe me I have a lot to show you and to discuss with you over the next few weeks’ blog postings. Can’t wait!!