Sewing spending spree no.1

I have had a bit of a splurge at the end of last month.  I can’t seem to keep the pennies in my purse, or the extroversion of my credit card & (paypal) in check.  So let’s assuage the guilt with delight in what I’ve gathered & the plans I have for transforming them.  You up for being my confessor?

It started with some new patterns, around payday….  New to me anyway.  I stopped by Sewbox as I really want to make a summer dressing gown (inspired by Amy’s of Sylko Twist) – mine is too short for anything but a heatwave. So I bought the Buchanon by Gather.

And then, because I was there, I added in the Derby dress by Christine Haynes.

Derby Dress

These purchases were made on one of the sunnier days & I was thinking that the Derby dress (belted ruffled neckline version) would be the perfect summer sundress.  And remembering from a couple of summers back, Flossie Teacakes’ gorgeous rendition that totally changed my mind about how I saw its possibilities.  Whilst the Buchanon was a spontaneous purchase, the Derby was completely justified because I really do not have any sundress patterns that are like this – strappy with a flounce, a tie belt with enough flow of fabric around one’s bod in the heat.  And although I bought other fabric to make it with, this daisy viscose from Croftmill, I have actually cut out the fabric above that I bought at the end of last year from the Fabric Godmother – it was a roll end in the sale, but is gorgeous & will make a wonderful sundress.

I also bought some fabric (yay for fabric, we love fabric!) in a real shop. I went to Truro when I was staying in Cornwall in May, a few days after my Sewbox purchases.  We visited the relocated Truro Fabrics. Truro Fabrics is not somewhere to go for a bargain, but it has a lovely range of quality fabrics, haberdashery & also a furnishing fabric department (& craft cottons, wool too).  There were some lovely Joel Dewsbury viscoses which I was drawn to, but at £14.99 per metre, too expensive for the lengths I had in mind to make either of the patterns I had just clicked to buy. So I let my heart lead me, searching out fabric that was new to me & gave me a fuzzy buzz.

I always look at the knits, especially sweater knits & found some purple sweater knit at £9/m (good value I thought) & my Mum was so interested in it that I snapped up two cardigans’ worth – one to be a pressie for my Mum & the other for me.  I can’t find it on the website- sorry!  But it’s yummy.

Purple sweater knit

Then there was this lawn with garden birds on it – this was maybe £12.50 per metre & I got enough to make a summer top.  And I might copy Florence again (if I have bought enough) & either make the Hey June Biscayne blouse or some simple version of the Deer & Doe Datura.  Or a camisole.

Finally I love this Makower print (£12.50 also I think) – with its river scene in horizontal stripes. This will be a full summer skirt.  But I cannot find it on the website either.

Summer scene

There. Since then, I have located some fabric for my Buchanon dressing gown.  I might use the  daisy viscose from Croftmill.  Or I also ordered some of this too, it’s a beautiful grey vintage floral, very much a chiffon & would make a special floaty kind of gown.  Maybe.   But it’s more sheer than I really wanted for a mid length gown over summer PJs.   I am still deciding.  I will of course, report back. I think that the Gather kits looks pretty good value, if you haven’t already bought the pattern. I liked the grey …..but had already bought the pattern….

But then I also (intake of big breath) see I told you I’ve been on a roll…bought another piece of fabric.  I think it was also because I got paid for some casual work I did…..(spot the guilt!)  I could not resist 20% off Liberty at Whitetree Fabrics  using the Vintage Pattern Pledge discount that runs this month.    See sidebar in Kestrel makes.  Only for June though.  If you read this later, sorry!  So I bought some beautiful Tana lawn – Lodden.

Lodden

This is  the perfect fabric for a dress I ripped out of a magazine at the beginning of the year & will become one of my “high hitters”.  A shirt dress of some description.

Speaking of which.  Yes, you’ve guessed it.  “I just couldn’t help it”  I took advantage of the introductory discount & bought the new Sew Over It pattern – the Vintage Shirt Dress.

And shhh.  I have nearly finished my first one.  Just the buttons to buy….And exactly what i made it out of will remain a bit of a surprise for now.  I have maybe incited enough excitement for one day.

And the detectives amongst you will also realise there is another confession to come.  This time with some interesting tools, gadgets & haberdashery I have also recently bought.

So, have you enjoyed any recent sewing shopping sprees? Is it a symptom of the slow start to the summer?  Help.  How do I stop!??   (No it’s OK, don’t worry about me.  July will be enforced cold turkey as far as purchasing goes.  & Lots of sewing :-)).

41 thoughts on “Sewing spending spree no.1

Oh wow…great stuff you bought. I love the river fabric and the cardigan knit. I saw some fab hairdressers in lieblingallsorts shop website and have been shirt dress dreaming since then. Last month I bought a piece of liberty and a piece of spectacle fabric. And an Ohlulu pattern. That’s a spree for me!! Xx

2. ParisGrrl

Those look like some gorgeous projects, especially the luscious Liberty and the daisy kimono. If you’re looking for company in guilt, between what I spent in the three days of the offcuts sale here in Paris, or in less than one hour at Shaukat (ye gods!) in London, you should feel much much better. Say three Yay I’ve Got Fabrics, make four projects, and you’re absolved. 🙂

Oh it’s good to share isn’t it? It makes me feel less guilty to know I’m not alone 🙂
      And also strangely satisfying to hear about other people’s spending sprees! Shaukat- yummy!!

3. Gill

We have similar fabric tastes, I made a Merchant and Mills Camber top from the birdie print, and I have my eye on the landscape fabric that I’ve seen I in my local fabric shop.
    Can’t wait to see the finished results x

Awesome!! How cool is that, it’s great to hear that you loved the birdies too! I see fromthe website that it comes in different colourways with different backgrounds – I only saw the cream in the shop. I need to get a move on to make it as it feels like it must be a summer top. As too is the skirt, but that should be a relatively simple make. Hoorah! Feeling less guilty already – focus on the outcome I say!

4. Jennie

Oh love your haul of goodies, I think it is the season for a splurge, although mine is mostly on childrens patterns, which they have just told they would not wear as they only wear princess dresses, may have to modify the patterns I brought then! I have also brought some lovely knit fabric for moneta dresses for me (note plural!) so I will be a busy bee for now x

5. Vicki Kate

I think they’re all wonderful purchases! You have plans for nearly all of them so they aren’t really ‘whim’ purchases. I have to admit that I’m seriously holding back on any form of purchase at the moment, but I had to make an exception for the Sew Over It Shirt Dress pattern! Oh, I have such plans! I just need some time! It’s fun living vicariously though and I’m looking forward to seeing what you’ve come up with!

The Sew Over It shirtdress is AWESOME! I fell for it big time, and then I made it. And seriously. It’s love. I hope you manage to find time to sew it for yourself 🙂 And of course I will keep my sewing going for you to dip into & see what the finished garments turn out like.

6. Emily Kate

I’m glad I’m not the only one! this sunny weather we’ve been having has made me realise I really don’t have many summery clothes after not buying any for the last couple of years and so I’ve been going a bit crazy on the pattern and fabric front. Great to see you also bought the vintage shirt dress from sew over it, I bought mine yesterday, but being very indecisive over fabric!

I’m still laughing about the hairdressers! I absolutely love that river scene fabric and I know you will make a fabulous skirt from it. It is always a relief to read about other people’s fabric splurges!

Hairdresser fabric!! yes, it would be awesome! I am seeing a 50s style hairdryer, & ladies with rollers in reading magazines dressed in a floral gown to protect their clothes…..

8. Katie

Wowee what a haul! But such beautiful material. The Buchanan pattern is awesome – I’ve been parading around in mine like there is no tomorrow, and have also made ones for my lovely mama and mama in law! Enjoy!

Hi Katie! I have cut my first one out (as I also think they make ideal pressies!) But first is for me – a road test & because I need a longer summer weight dressing gown. It’s going to be ooh, lovely!

9. Sarah H

I have the exact same purple sweater knit from Truro Fabrics! It’s lovely (and so is Truro Fabrics!). I made a cardigan and the stitches just disappeared into the knit, so great for an ‘invisible’ hem. Enjoy!

OOOOh what a lovely thing to know before making it up! Thank you! It will be one of those makes that will be a pleasure – I can feel it – especially as one of them will be for my Mum 🙂

10. Berte

Great haul! Fabric shopping is the best kind of shopping. I’ve recently dragged home loads of jersey. I have to make tees, my man’s are more or less worn to shreds, and no buying rtw this time. I must admit I’m a wee bit envious of your sewing time. Mine seem to be reduced constantly. Even when I think I can sew uninterrupted something happens to change that. Oh well. It is what it is. And I do look forward to see what you make with your haul!

Oh Berthe, i am frequently a compulsive jersey buyer- nothing quite like it! I find I buy more of that from visits to shops as you can get a better feel for it rather than online. And it can be pretty heavy to take home!!! I hope you find some sewing time soon, & enjoy the making 🙂

11. RenataLaura

Yours is one of my fave blogs because you find cute prints and also exercise / work practical. The shirt dress looks well worth making espec with the vintage style collar. Fabric is an investment, so I only feel guilty if I don’t use it!

12. Lisa bartup

Love your posts they make me chuckle and open my eyes up to lots of new pattern brands I’ve always been a vogue/butterick kind of girl up till now but am just finishing off a grainline pattern now and really enjoying making it ??❤️?

Well that’s great Lisa! I am always looking out for interesting patterns, wherever they are designed. I must be getting to the point where I don’t need to buy any, or very many more …..??

13. Florence

I’m so flattered to have inspired some of your purchases this month, Winnie! The bird fabric would make an absolutely beautiful Biscayne! I don’t know quite what it is about the last four weeks, but I too have gone on some kind of wild fabric purchasing spree and want to make everything. And there is still so much more on my ‘would like to buy’ list too that I’m trying to restrain myself from purchasing.

I just finished a Miz Mozelle dress (by Jamie Christina) last night and I’d now like to make about ten more..unfortunately my cupboard is completely bare of any more suitable knit fabrics, which I’m worrying could lead to more purchases. Oh dear.

I can’t wait to see all your new fabrics sewn up, Florence x

Oh Florence the things you make ALL inspire me – in fact it was your first Miz Mozelle dress that still remains as another memory!!! I can’t wait to make the Biscayne but sadly I don’t think I bought enough of the birds fabric – not expecting such a lovely blouse to come along. I will see if I can eek it out- depends on the width I think…but yes, i just want to make them all up right now!!! I shall have to tune in for your next Miz Mozelle ….& try to resist 🙂

14. Kerry

That Makower fabric is so fab! It seems so 50s to me. Also happy to have enabled you with your Liberty purchase. The 20% and free postage is a great deal, isn’t it?

That’s what I thought Kerry- probably why I liked it so much! The 20% off is such a great offer…thank you for enabling me spending *even more* money this month !!!:-)

15. Hilary

Totally sympathise with the splurging. Often the only way I can avoid indulging is by not going into the shops! It makes buying corresponding haberdashery very tricky. Ever tried ignoring the fabrics as you go to buy thread, buttons or zips? I always fail. A lack of money has encouraged me to delve into my fairly substantial stash of fabrics and patterns a little more. It’s quite a good challenge too – creating with what is available rather than “buying to requirement” is boosting my adaptability.
    I do still succumb to temptation on occasion, though. Ah yes, those feelings of guilt…..
    Look forward to seeing your makes 🙂 Hx

Hello Hilary! Yes we know what it is like and I can be safe in the knowledge that we are not alone! I am lucky only in the fact that my haberdashery is actually just that, a market stall (rather a large one) that doesn’t sell fabric. BIG saviour of mine!!!

16. Pingback: Elephants +Vintage Shirtdress = delight of the highest level - Scruffy Badger Time

17. Pingback: Derby dress by Christine Haynes - Scruffy Badger Time

18. Sylkotwist

I can’t believe I missed this post… Me inspire you with my little Buchanan?! Wow! Can’t wait to see yours Winnie, a longer length would work beautifully, I may try that. Lovely fabrics, especially the Liberty!

19. Pingback: Summer river scene skirt - Scruffy Badger Time