Arielle skirt – two times

Have you seen the latest pattern by Tilly and the Buttons?  It’s the Arielle Skirt and I was one of the testers this time.  I have to admit to copious amounts of glee when I saw the line drawings as it is rather a cutie- a skirt than can be sassy or sweet depending on how you make & style it- slimline pencil skirt, buttoning up distinctly off centre.  It can be lined or not lined and comes in two lengths (although you can make it the length you want if happy to decide as you are sewing- that’s what I did).

Arielle

So I made two versions, wanting to be a diligent tester, but using fabric I already had in my stash (isn’t that what’s so great about fabric stashes – almost spontaneous sewing?!)  I made a lined denim version first (using a poly satin lining) , followed by an unlined jumbo cord dusky pink number (with pink flower buttons – wheeee!)  None of the fabrics had any lycra content, but I could imagine it being one of those skirts you don’t know you are wearing in a stretch sateen or a stretch denim.

Arielle skirt

My measurements came in between sizes, so I blended between sizes & fit as I went along, basting the side seams until I was happy with fit.  The photos you see are of my tester versions and how I sewed them to get the fit I wanted.

Arielle

I have since changed the buttons as these were *a bit inferior* – were they even metal I have to ask myself. More than one popped off at times of strain!

It is such a flattering style & I have to say I have worn the denim version a lot – it makes me feel quite parisienne & in denim is super useful – dressing up or down (eg it looked awesome with my suedette jacket and sixties blouse on Friday evening with heeled booties).  The cord version a bit chunkier & is one of those fabrics that will come out again for winter & will be worn with something big & incredibly fluffy.

So it’s slim fitting with a high waist, no waistband, but a curved facing.  It reminds me of the Colette Patterns Beignet but it is different in a number of respects.  There are far fewer pieces – the Beignet is made up of lots of panels – three backs and maybe four fronts – plus th linings & facings.  I can remember how many seams there are to sew….the Arielle skirt has one back and two fronts, plus facings.  And Lining too if you go down that route.  I also think the shape of Arielle is a little more pencil skirt & less A line than the Beignet too.  Plus of course, the button front is very much off centre over your hip.  And no belt loops/ tie belt.

As I mentioned earlier, I went a bit off road with the length- Tilly provides finished measurements & I saw that my usual above the knee-but-not-too-mini length fell in between the two, so I veered from the pattern in just this aspect.

Here is a shot of the lining & the beautiful curved seam that this involves.

Arielle skirt lining

This is probably the most complicated part of the process, but Tilly’s instructions offer lots of detail about how to achieve this, and if you don’t feel up to it, you can always make an unlined skirt (like my pink one).  But if you do go for it, make sure you allow time to admire. We sew such a lot of straight lines usually don’t we?  Well I do anyway.

So what do you think?  I think it’s really cute & just right for seeing in the beginning of Spring.  I also love the ideas Tilly has put together for using different fabrics here.  I feel quite pedestrian making mine in solid colours!

Outfits styled with:

Maria Denmark Birgitte basic tee (cream) with Brigitte scarf and my Breton Tilly and the Buttons Coco Top

23 thoughts on “Arielle skirt – two times

1. Hélène

Love your two Arielle. The pink one is particularly attractive. Both are convincing, but still, you have such a great silhouette!

Oh thank you ! I think it’s a nice skirt to fit – and I’m glad I basted the side seams to make tweaks as I think both skirts have probably achieved a good fit around the high waist – I usually get that a bit out – resulting in more of a gape. It was satisfying!

2. Andrea

I am not usually tempted by patterns by testers reviews but this one has grabbed my attention. I am not sure whether it is your styling which is so me or just that going into winter this skirt fills a need but they are both lovely and making me sorely tempted.

Thank you! This is a good all rounder, there was I thinking it’s good for spring, but made a wintry version too! I hadn’t realised that version might be more appealing to Southern Hemisphere readers….

3. Amy G

Winnie I am sooooooo in love with your pink cord version! I realise it’s totally seasonally inappropriate but I envisage you pairing this with the fluffiest, most luxurious snow white sweater and gliding through the winter streets of Paris wearing enormous shades, trailing admiring glances from all angles. Sigh, heaven.

‘Newpatternwant’ can be serious! I hope you are managing it & are not having too many disturbed nights! 😉
      ANd thank you, it was nice to make two different versions to see how it looked both lined and unlined as well as using different fabric weights. Two lovely skirts to show for it too 🙂

4. Kelly

These are gorgeous Winnie, and that lining seam line is a thing of beauty! I have the issue of sewing world with the original Marielle skirt in which I’ve been meaning to make for way to long – I really must get on with it, yours look stunning!

5. Marina mcpherson

I need to buy this pattern; the pink skirt is so pretty. I have a daughter who loves pink so you have given me an idea for a birthdsy present! On a different subject I was wondering how you are getting on with you cover pro machine ,especially with some of the jersey and Lycra fabrics you have been seeing. I would love you to write a post about that; problems and solving them etc. I have the same machine and find it almost impossible to hem light Jersey (the very fabric I bought the machine for) . Have you any tips for using this machine?

SOunds like a very special birthday present! I am sure your daughter will love a pink Arielle!
      As for my Cover Pro, it’s funny you say this, as it is something I had been thinking of writing about soonish. So thank you for encouraging me down this path. Can’t promise when, but it’ll be on my list of blog topics to discuss!

Ooh fab! They’re both goy-jus, but as I have a denim Arielle cut out and ready to go, that gets my vote as favourite! I can’t for the life of me decide on buttons though, I think I’ll recognise them when I see them! You got such a great fit with both of them – very inspiring. xx

Thank you Jane!! Denim is a killer as an Arielle, deffo! And the buttons really do have to be right, they are the focus after all so choose some amazing ones. It’s a nice skirt to fit I think…..

7. Jennifer Hill

This is gorgeous; not sure it would look quite the same on me, hehe, but I think I’ll definitely add to my looong queue. Love both your versions, and your styling! Jen

8. Sophie-Lee

Oh these are nice! I admit I am a fan of this pattern, although it’ll take me a while to buy anything new (we have a big move coming up). Thanks in particular for outlining the differences between this and the Beignet skirt!

Thank you!! I thought it was worth looking at the differences because on first impressions they are a little similar. I love wearing it – it is so cute!! Keep it on your wishlist 🙂

9. Kyema Bialick

So i’m forever a lurker but I love your versions of this skirt and I just love your blog in general. It never fails to make me laugh! I just thought I’d come out of the woodwork to tell you that your efforts are amazing and I appreciate your projects! <3