Liberty Moneta

Time for something lovely.  And that should be loverly with a capital L for Liberty!  Yes, here is my Liberty jersey Moneta, promised after making my polka dot Moneta earlier this year.

Moneta

And what good timing as the Moneta is Colette Pattern’s pattern of the month.  And apparently there is a 20% discount if you want to buy it this month too- excellente! Follow that link!

Moneta

OK Kilburn Rose Liberty Jersey is one of my high hitting fabrics this year.  Bought in Shaukat when I visited last year, this was the most expensive length of fabric I have ever bought for a dress.  (But you know I am a bargain sniffer, it’ll take a big shift to change me into a quality gal) .  But this is so worth it.  The fabric is just *amazing*.  Its drape, the colours, the beautiful roses (designed by Tamsin Greig don’t you know – read about it here).

Moneta

Having made Moneta once, I knew what was in store.  I shortened the bodice slightly & think I got it just right.  This therefore impacted on the overall length of the skirt too, making it a tad shorter which is a good thing.  I also opted for the tie neck, because, *of course!*  It’s a tie & a collar & as well as looking dreamy & classic & vintage to suit the beautiful fabric, I also did not like the neck just turned under, which is how the basic Moneta is designed.

Moneta-003

The back of the neck scoops & has a scooped collar, which I love, although, currently wearing under cardigans squooshes it up a bit at the back.

Moneta

I don’t think I made any other changes to how it was put together – I really like the gathered skirt, I love the way it swings & feels super girly.  I kept the sleeves at elbow length which I also think is very feminine & surprisingly doesn’t bring me out in goosebumps with my wrists only covered by cardigan at the moment.

Moneta

I am really into wearing dresses, tights & boots & this dress is getting worn a lot.  It is yet another of my dresses that is super easy to care for – no ironing people!  Just wash, dry naturally & wear again.  Score!

I tell you what.  Spending more on fabric, to make less really does create some amazing clothes that become firm favorites.

Moneta

Like….der!

It’s clearly obvious, that if you spend at the very top end of your budget, your spending decision is going to be far more sound & long lasting than bulk buying because it’s a bargain.  I am learning.  Honest!

29 thoughts on “Liberty Moneta

Aw I love that fabric so much and it’s perfect for your girly, twirly Moneta. Really like the collar detail too, it elevates it from a simple jersey dress to something more special. And I’m all for spending more on fabric and making fewer things, they last longer too! x

2. Marilla

This would definitely be a favourite if it was in my wardrobe! A perfect marriage of pattern and fabric that I’m sure will get a tonne of wear. It looks divine! X

3. Sophie-Lee

Haha I love the “Like….der!” face. It’s taken me a while to get to that stage as well! I still baulk at spending on some fabrics (recently I’ve been working on buying enough yardage of things rather than just saying “2m will do!”).

But, this is SO nice. I think I’m almost at the stage where I feel comfortable buying some liberty fabric, and it’s good to hear that the jersey is so lush

4. Hélène

Yes to quality fabric, but only for TNT patterns. Cheap fabrics are better suited for trying out and adjusting new patterns. You Liberty dress is awesome!

5. Elizabeth

What a beautiful fabric to display Liberty. Everything is better in Liberty if you can afford it, but as you say, spending more to make less yields some fantastic results, and this dress is no exception. Lovely, lovely work!

6. Alecia

This just looks absolutely lovely! Just a beautiful combination of the fabric and pattern, this inspires me to try more knit projects! 🙂

Oh my gosh, this is the perfect knit project! I think it shows that knits are really not just about sloppy style or just lounging (whilst they are perfect for both of those!)

7. Mandykatt

Isn’t this dress just a dream? I have made it twice now too, and am considering a few more just because of how comfy and easy to wear it is. I always feel so glamorous in it.

Your fabric choice is beautiful! The colours, the flowers, mixed with the simple lines of the Moneta means that the fabric is the showstopper.

Between “bargain” and “luxury” cottons, I have been noticing a difference in the ease of pressing. A bargain one doesn’t hold it’s creases and shaping, but holds the wrinkles steadfastly, whereas the luxury ones press wonderfully and really make it all easier. Probably not always true, but seems to be generally true in my experience.

Thing I love about sewing #13 742: You had to shorten the bodice, I had to lengthen it. Advantage over RTW: we could both do that and have a dress that fits wonderfully!

Hi Mandykatt!
      Great to hear from you & love things I love about sewing #13742! It’s an incredible skill to have, really, isn’t it? Sometimes I take it for granted.
      Interesting what you say about the ease of pressing – I shall be thinking about that in future too, I’ll do some informal testing of your theory with you!

8. Jan Brandt

you are seriously too cute! Great dress! I agree with your philosophy too. I always enjoy your posts and the variety of your projects. Thanks for sharing and inspiring.

Thank you Jan, I’m super glad to tickle those inspiration buds! And I am slowly going to buy more wisely! (We still need some cheap purchases to practice on though, don’t we 😉 )

When you do make the investment, I am sure you will more than realise what the fuss is about- it’s funny, but it took me a really long time to buy some, but it’s so worth it, for special makes.

9. Pingback: Fancy Miette skirt and Fancy Moon Giveaway - Scruffy Badger Time

10. Pingback: Moneta Monday? - Scruffy Badger Time

11. Pingback: Say no to the happy fabrics come over to the dark side. Colette patterns moneta. | coolarama

12. Phoebe

Not sure if you’ll see this, but I just cut out the Moneta also in a liberty jersey and also with the tie collar! I was wondering if you used interfacing on the collar like it instructs? It appears that none of the other collar variations call for interfacing, so I was considering leaving it out. Your collar looks lovely, so I’d live to know whether you interfaced it or not. Thanks!

Hi Phoebe
      Thank you for the question! I am pretty sure that I did interface the collar pieces, but with a lightweight interfacing. I cannot remember if it was specifically a knit interfacing ( probably not!)
      I hope you enjoy making and wearing your Moneta. ?