Rural Hudson Pants

Gawd When I saw these casuals appearing across Instagram even during pattern testing I went weak at my (rural) knees. Is it the unfulfilled dancer in me that could imagine looking all hip & super caj in sweats with style? I envisioned Irene Cara style off the shoulder cut off sweat top (ironically emblazoned with “RELAX” perhaps) & some of the coolest sweats adorning my undancer’s pins.

hudson pants These Hudson pants have been created by   True Bias, who describes her blog as “urban sewing” & therefore I guess in the case of True Bias “urban” reads “uber cool”, because she is.  She has what I think of as nonchalant style – she doesn’t look as if she has to try – to look amazing  – & in inspirational handmade clothing too.  Anyway, in case I appear sycophantic, I’ll move on!

Floral hudson pants

These pants have two lengths: full length & calf length with neat front pockets, wide waistband & leg cuffs. They are described as “The piece of clothing that you will wear all of the time.” (Agreed) and have an “urban fit”.   Being from the West Country I wondered if I qualified, if I could carry it off. Coming from the West Country therefore I brought a rural them to my urban Hudsons. Yep. I went floral.

hudson pantsI went off map a bit & used some light weight jersey that I had bought ages ago from Birmingham’s Rag market. It was destined for a wrap dress that was never fulfilled.   The instructions advise using a mid weight knit with 40% stretch so I knew that I was taking a risk as this could potentially be a bit too light. I think I got away with it though. I’d say the waistband is a little fluted & could do with being made out of something more robust, but I’m not bothered…

hudson pants

I was overjoyed at how easy they are to make. Even including the pockets they whipped up in a couple of hours – but with details like this look far more involved. I used my overlocker for everything apart from the top stitching along the waistband (performed using a narrow zig zag).

Hudson pants

I fancied contrast bands, & originally made these up with a nice flash of red at the top of the pockets (retained) & at calf cuff & waistband. But that only made them look like pyjamas & definitely not “urban” – more nocturnal!

hudson pants

I hastily took off the offenders & replaced with black. I think they look a lot better for doing that (despite fluting mentioned above). I’ve threaded black grosgrain ribbon through the waistband as the waist tie & fasten with a bow. Because.

hudson pants

But am I wearing these all the time? You bet! They have become my go-to change from work garb, my getting up at the weekend but not quite ready to put running clothes on yet garb too.

They are exceedingly comfortable – having a bit more room around the low slung bum than leggings, & with a slightly more relaxed fit than leggings around the thighs too. Worn with my Drafting Top I feel a spot of street dance brewing. And you would be seriously scared (heebie jeebies guaranteed) if I told you the acrobatics I avoided doing when wearing with a simple vest (tank) top!

hudson pants

This is the first time I have brought out my tacky (plastic) boots to wear them with though- just for the photos you understand. Trying to look more …..”urban”.  Just for the poor quality pose.  Normally?  I’ve been wearing them bare foot, padding around the house. Or with flip flops….

There will be some more of these I promise. I will make some up in ponte next, long length for the winter, & by virtue of more limited colours & designs available in ponte they are likely to be more urban (oh dear- I am mixing my definitions of “urban” here, confusing perhaps with “industrial”?!) & less rural. But I shall see what I can do to bring a touch of the country to them J

Have you succumbed yet to these pants/ trews?    What do you think?  Aren’t they just the business?!

25 thoughts on “Rural Hudson Pants

Gah, these look so cute on you! And quite “urban”! 😉 I keep forgetting to make myself a pair- I’ve made two for my sis, but got distracted and never made them for myself! 🙂

2. Eliza-sew-little

Spooky! I’ve just made some of these from a burda pattern with the contrast jersey waistband. I reckon they are PJs for the outside. I can’t believe I didn’t discover this pattern earlier. I did mine full length in a light weight cotton but will deffo have to try this urban length. And jazzier fabric.
    Gotta keep up with badger…
    Yours are fab.

3. Amy

I love the floral! I’ve now seen a couple floral pairs, and every one is better than the last. Now if I could only find some floral knit as awesome as yours!!!

4. Tempest

I love the floral…this pattern is intriguing and beguiling me and other versions of temptation. EXERCISE TREWS WITH POCKETSES?!! HOW FAB?!! I’m on the edge of going back to yoga classes and the pathetic excuse I keep using is ‘I have nothing to wear’….perhaps I should follow your lead and rid myself of excuses (whilst looking fab)

Yes!! I think they could make great exercise pants, but you might want raise the depth of them a bit as they are low slung and I can imagine bending over doing the downward dog and showing some cheek!

Hurray for a great pair of Happy Pants! I shall not be making any calf-length trews, nor shall I purchase any in that length. If my legs were proportional to my four-inches-longer-than-average torso, I would be six feet tall. Short pants make me look like a fire plug, which is a look that I try to avoid unless I have chosen to be a fire plug for Halloween. Go thou forth and wear-eth all the floral prints thou wisht.

6. Anna

I really like these! Do you think they’d be comfortable as an outer layer when running? I’m trying to improve my cold-weather running wardrobe, and I don’t have nearly enough long pants…

I have been wearing and thinking about your question before answering. I could imagine they’d be good as running wear, however, I would caution about the low slung ness of the fit, you might want to lengthen the torso part so they sit higher up your hips….maybe, you’d probably want to see for yourself! But I might give something similar a go myself now, thanks for the idea’!!

7. Tami Von Zalez

Your blog just popped up on my Google+ home page. Love the blog name, not too keen on the knickers, but that’s just me.
    You look like my kinda people, following you now ~

8. Amanda

Lady, you look like you should be break dance fighting in these! I’m going to go dig out my cassette of Run DMC and a boom box and let’s get this party started! (these pants are tops!!!!)

9. True Bias

you look awesome and i really love these floral pants. i want a floral version too now. im laughing a bit now at my use of the word urban. i actually grew up in alabama so i understand living in rural areas. and i think your pants are uber cool no matter what kind of area you live in.

Hahaha!! That’s so kind of you, & funny about the urban thing. Nice story about your rural background too! I can say I have worn these with pride to the local shop on a grocery mission & felt a lot cooler than the rest of the shoppers! Well that’s what I thought anyway!!

10. Pingback: Dolores top and dress- batwing perfection! - Scruffy Badger Time