The already much worn Julia Cardigan

I know I’ve been challenged by the impoverished style and nature of my me made warmers for Me Made May, my cardigan surrogates. In truth my RTW cardigans are also rather threadbare, since I’d bought most of them second hand. So yes, this month I made myself a couple of additions to my cardigan / warmer clothing, but it wasn’t just for me made May, this is for life in general.

Julia

Seeing Katie’s me made week I spied the most awesome cardigan she’d made– the Julia cardigan by mousehousecreations. Available here on Etsy. No idea where I have been to miss such an incredible design, but I shamelessly hopped over to buy it, and within 48 hours I think I’d made my own.

It’s a clever design with sleeve length options- a capped sleeve, a three quarter sleeve and a long sleeve. I was going for warmth.

Julia

It is made up with curves around its front and hem edges to form a shawl like collar and slight flared hem, whilst the bodice is nicely shaped. The collar and hem are stitched together to make a massive loop which then you attach to the edges of your cardi.

Julia (9)
You can hem these edges or you can double up all the pieces of this loop, sewing them right sides together, then turning before attaching to the cardigan edges with no hems needed.

Julia

Clever. I overlocked all of mine. I made it out of some wool mix jersey from my stash ( I am guessing it’s got wool in it based on how it smelt when I ironed it!!). It’s got some fluffy fibres in it and is just so cosy.

Julia cardigan

Being red, it is also supremely useful, because, you know, red is one of my basic colours.

Julia

Boy am I pleased with it. In this kind of weather it is almost a light weight jacket too.

Julia cardigan

I am going to make this up for my mum as I think it’s just her kind of style, especially the capped sleeves.

Julia

I’m also going to make it up in my precious black wool jersey that I have been saving for *that special make*. It seems that the *special make* has now been revealed to me at last. I will liberate it from my stash. Soon.

38 thoughts on “The already much worn Julia Cardigan

1. Philippa

Ooh, at is an interesting way to make a cardigan. It looks lovely on you. I like the curviness of the design in general and could see it looking good with trousers and even shorts too. Thank you for introducing it to me – I’m looking to make some me-made knitwear.

2. Kerry

How timely! I have noticed this pattern in MMMay14 photos and I have noted the need for more slouchy clothes for working from home and in-between days. I fancy a cropped version of this too!

3. Bec

beautiful! I almost bought this pattern last night, I was so annoyed as I bought some black merino jersey and dont have enough for a cardi I wanted to make. Does it use much fabric? Am going to make the merino into a Renfrew, but still might get the pattern….

I’d say the amount of fabric needed varies according to whether you go long sleeves & the doubled hem version. It says on the pattern that you need between 1.5 yards (I guess capped sleeve & non doubled hem) to 2.75 yards for long sleeves with doubled over hem. We shall see if I have enough black wool jersey to replicate this version! I hope so

4. Lady Stitcher

Great cardigan! I love that style, and the colour is great on you. After several years of near-continual wear, I’ve finally admitted that a similar RTW one I’ve had in my wardrobe is worn out so this post is very timely!

5. Carrie

Thanks for the introduction to this pattern! Me-Made-May has made it quite clear to me that I also need to sew more of my own cardigans and I’m loving this fun design!

I have lived in this cardi & the Victoria blazer this month – but what’s great is that they are actually better than my failing RTW cardigans, so I can see more of the Julias joining my wardrobe.

Love it! I made a navy Julia cardi as part of my May Minerva blogger network project and I’ve worn it loads. I’m definitely making more, I just need to decide on colours.

This is so gorgeous! I’ve just gotten this pattern, but keep telling myself that it will warm up soon and I won’t need a cardigan (I had to put a coat on this morning it was so chilly!). I should just bite the bullet and make it- I know I won’t be sorry!

I made it in an evening – it’s a very simple pattern. Kind of eager to make more – but am trying to be discipined with my sewing at the moment & “stick to the list”!

8. Rachel

Ooo, lovely! The shawl collar is particularly flattering – no wonder the fabric equivalent of the big guns is coming out. Sounds like a perfect match! Rachel ☺

9. Caroline Joynson

This cardigan really does look super comfy and snuggly. I agree when I saw Katie’s version I also investigated further – now seeing your maybe I need to get clicking on the ‘tinterweb and order myself one.
    The red looks lovely on you btw.

10. Kat

That cardigan looks so cosy; it made me a first time commenter. And I’d like to say thanks for introducing this pattern to me, might be one of those I’ve been looking for for some time.

Hello Kat! Thanks for leaving your comment- glad that you have been assisted to complete your quest! It’s always nice to know when you are a facilitator 🙂 I think it’ll make you happy

It’s a great big thanks to you for introducing me – I agree – I have absolutely lived in it this month, but as I said above, it’s far nicer than my failing RTW cardis, so is here to stay. Looking forward to seeing your second one …

11. Michelle

This cardigan is FABULOUS! no, BEYOND fabulous! I love love love it.

How did I now know about this Etsy designer before now? Ridiculously great stuff! Thank you!

12. Pingback: Perfect summer cover up: Julia cardigan | Scruffy Badger Time