Not such a plain black skirt: Colette Meringue skirt with extras

I’ve not had a plain black skirt for years & have managed along quite happily without feeling the need.  But then you’ll see soon that I’ve made another shirt which got me thinking differently.   And when you see the shirt (later this week, I promise) you’ll understand.

meringue skirt

A little black skirt can be soooo versatile, can’t it?  Easy to pair up with a blouse or sweater of most colours (& I know that Susannah & Trinny would tell you otherwise & not to wear colour with black, but I happen to like wearing all sorts of colours with black myself…blues, reds, cream – is that a colour?) So, an urge was born.

meringue

The idea of a black skirt grew, & I knew that I had a suitable piece of fabric residing in my stash bought from the Birmingham Rag Market a while ago.  This fabric was originally bought for some Clovers as it has some stretch in it, but it has the most gorgeous drape, even if I have no idea what its composition is.  The important thing is that it feels nice & not too polyester – ridden.

meringueWould you like to know what the grey dots are on the wall to my right?  Well….they are the result of us being *really bad* at darts!

My little black skirt though was not going to be *just a pencil skirt*.  If I was to make a plain black skirt, the design of the skirt had to give back a bit of detail.  It was either going to be a Charlotte (but not enough fabric for the ruffle) or the delightful Meringue skirt in the Colette Patterns Handbook.  I have lived in my pinstriped meringue & love it.

meringue skirt

I decided that I should make it again, in plain black, with polka dot lining & a waistband again (I like waistbands, although the Meringue pattern is drafted with a faced waistline).  I learnt a lot about how to line my first Meringue skirt  through trial & error,lining the full skirt right down to the scalloped hem (read about it here) & acknowledged that this is not the best way to line the Meringue skirt.     This time I would keep the lining free from the hem & use the pattern facing.

meringue skirt

OK, the plan was hatched.  Just one more detail occurred to me: velvet ric rac.  Oh yes!  Another way to bring some pizazz into a plain black skirt.  I would add velvet ric rac to the waist seam as if it was piping: an echo of the scallops below but in smaller form.

meringue skirtCheck out the almost polka dot button! Scoop!

So it all went without a hitch.  I followed Lladybird’s invisible zipper method which has an added safety measure of marking stitching end points both sides of your zip to get balance (genius).  Now that worked even better for me, & it will be a sure new technique added to my sewing armory now.  Thank you Lauren 🙂

meringue skirt

How it’s possible to make a plain black skirt, not plain.

meringue (2)Happiness is ….turquoise shoes.  I’m telling you, it was confirmation that the Spring is coming getting these babies on!

30 thoughts on “Not such a plain black skirt: Colette Meringue skirt with extras

1. Vicki Kate

I love the Meringue skirt pattern and this is far from a basic black skirt! The ric-rac piping at the waist is gorgeous. As are your shoes! Turquoise shoes!

2. Laura

Gorgeous! I’ve yet to try the meringue but this has inspired me. On another note I follow you through Bloglovin but your posts don’t pull through! It’s not a major prob as I just go to your site but thought I’d let you know 🙂

3. aem2

Love the polka-dot lining and button. Definitely not plain. And if you don’t wear black with colour, what are you supposed to wear it with?!

4. Joy

What? No color with black? I beg to differ! I imagine your black skirt will be very versatile, but making it a meringue makes it so much more interesting than ‘just a versatile’ piece.

5. Kaitlyn

Love this. I want to make myself black skirts. The only one I own is a RTW tired peasant style one. But I have plans! Love the idea of detailing like you have. Why sew if we can’t add all those lovely pieces onto simple clothing?

6. Lauren

Yay I’m glad my tutorial helped you 🙂 Also, can I just say I laughed really hard at your dart holes. That sounds like some shit I would do, if I played darts (the answer to that: I shouldn’t. Nope nope nope. Haha!)

7. Andrea

Lovely skirt and with such bonus extra little details. I think I have commented on those shoes before – swoon! And I also have to say, your hair looks adorbs in these photos.

8. La mouette au sec

I LOVE your skirt! I don ‘t find in plain at all ! All this peps underneath is great and you can wear it with many colourful tops.
    I have the Colette book and wanted to give this pattern a whirl but was wondering also about the waist. Did you take off some of the height to add the waistband?
    I discovered Lladybird tutorial on invisible zip AFTER sewing my blue-green tweed skirt firmly planning to use it next time around too!

Thank you! It’s going to get its first outing tomorrow to work 🙂
      In terms of the waistband, I didn’t add anything or take anything away from the existing height- just used the existing pattern pieces and instead of attaching the waist facing inside, I added a waistband as you would normally. I like the fit with a waistband better than the facing.

9. Sophie-Lee

WHY would they say not to wear colour with black – isn’t the point of wearing black so you can wear more crazy colours?

I’ve been meaning to make a plain black/gray/navy skirt for a wihle but it’s just soo boring buying that kind of fabric instead of things like: polka dots, animal prints, lobsters (all recent purchases of mine). But the ricrac is genious, subtle but makes it that much more than a plain’ ol black skirt

10. Amy

This is no boring staple! I love it. My sewing teacher always taught me to mark both sides of the zipper (front and back) so that no matter how you end up inserting it you can match the seams. Maybe she knew I was fickle enough to change my mind a lot

11. Alessa

A polka dot button?! Awesome! I love the fun inside and scallop hem! Black skirts can be a bit boring but yours is such a fun basic garment! Like cake with sprinkles. 😉