Another pair of Virginia leggings with some details

I’ve been so low on blog battery these last few weeks.  I start off the week with intentions & vague plans, but by the time Friday comes I’ve been all ready to collapse & indulge in TV & chocolate.  Time of the year.  That’s all.  Not so chatty as usual.  But I have faith that it’s the calm before the storm that is the party season ……

Anyway, I do have a castaway post to share, but you know me, I have a thing for posting on a Friday…& then the Fridays I’ve been feeling recently have been unblogworthy.  So, watch this space!  It’s a good ‘un.

leggings

Until then I’ve some leggings to show you.  In reality I have numerous things to show you, but today it’s the leggings.

These are another incarnation of the Megan Neilson Virginia leggings.  Made from supplex for running- ye ha!

Question: What is it that is indispensable in running gear?  I bet even non runners could make an educated guess for this one.  Yes, a pocket that is secure for your door key.  Enter the lace zipped pocket.  The lace edged opti-zip from Coats.

I used this exposed zip tutorial on the burdastyle website – it certainly helped me to get my head around the process, never having done exposed zips before.

I fought with my coverstitch trying to get this pocket attached, straight & almost neat.  And how could I have misaligned my waistband seams so badly?  Showing it how it is dear folk though, sometimes it’s downright disappointing & dirty.

leggings

The pocket’s  a bit scrappy to be honest, but I am hoping it doesn’t look too scruffy if I blur the focus in the photos???  And clearly the t-shirt obscures the misaligned centre back seams 😉

leggingsYou wouldn’t guess that I actually hand basted this pocket before machining it would you?!

leggingsBy the time I’d got it set straight (after a few unpickings) I admit I’d had enough & threw in the towel, content with a finish rather than a medal….

leggings

I added these ribbon bows as an accent to set off the yellow zip.

bows

I have worn these a couple of times now & they are mega comfy to run in & the pocket does what it’s supposed to do – keep my key safe.

It’s big enough for a few other bits & bobs too, like some cash & the odd energy gel.  And I l.o.v.e. running with red leggings, it’s a fact.

I hope you’ve enjoyed the mega dork photo shoot!  The things I do for this blog ….

34 thoughts on “Another pair of Virginia leggings with some details

1. Rachael

Aw, they look amazing – don’t worry about the misaligned seams, who’s judging? As long as you can run in them with a smile on you’re face that’s all that matters!

They are a but fun, aren’t they? And in our grotty winter evenings or even rainy weekends, if you’ve got something fun to dress up in, then it makes the effort to get out for a run much easier I find…need more!

2. cathy

so THAT is how you use that pretty fancy zipper! i always saw it and wondered. now i know. your running pants look so comfortable ang good on you – have fun running!

Hehehe!! I’ve plans for the other end of the fancy zipper too, but haven’t quite got started on the sewing yet!!
      They are mega comfortable, and thank you for leaving a comment 🙂

3. Heather

Hi Winnie. These are great! Your blogs have inspired me to sew my first top in a knit. Unfortunately i got the stretch the wrong way round so its a bit tight… but i dont care, im chuffed! Thanks for the inspiration 🙂 x

4. Elizabeth Connolly

Lovely leggings. Are these better for running in than the other style you’ve made?
    Where do you get good running fabric from?
    Love your ideas.

5. Andrea

All this action shots are making me feel extremely lazy for having skipped the gym since… er… a few weeks ago. No matter about the pocket, you’ve got the right attitude for sure: Run, Winnie, run!

Well Andrea seems you’ve had lots of other things keeping you busy with all your making…! How I prioritise my me time is a constant source of challenge, I just want more of it to fit in everything I want to do !

6. Barb

Ooh, loving that red with the groovy yellow zip! So stylish and so sporty that you’ve inspired me to put the kettle on and settle down with a cuppa, a piece of home-made fudge and the latest Wimpy Kid book…

7. Joy

These are fun running pants with such a great pocket!

And…I suspect actual seam alignment in supplex is rare. (That goes for RTW, too.)

8. Noelle

They are very cool! I have a store bought pair of 3/4 leggings and want to make myself another pair of running pants but am too scared of tights…I haven’t had much experience with knits! Have you seen any good patterns for running shorts?

I’m sorry, the only running shorts patterns I’ve seen are of the 1970s ilk with curved side hems! But dont be scared of making tights, theyre straightforward & very forgiving!