Clearing the air: eating & juicing to stay on track

So the heat has abated, last night (or even early morning) it seems as if most of the UK had thunder storms to clear the air. After a period of prolonged sunshine it is still dry & warm & beautiful outside, OK with more clouds. But for us Brits who seem no good at coping with any form of extreme weather, snow or heat, yet moan relentlessly about grey, dull, uneventful weather, does this mean our lives return to pre-heatwave form?

To me it feels as if we have come out of a dream, emerged out of a blissful (but warm) cocoon, reinvigorated by the experience, ready to take on the world. I will readily admit that as well as the huge joy that comes from waking up to the most fantastic blue skies and knowing (any certainty about good weather is rare in UK) that it was here to stay more than 6 hours, has impacted on my day to day:

• more time in the garden, less time on-line blogging and visiting blogs but the deepest tan I’ve had in years
  • I can now sleep through the dawn chorus with the windows open. Or are the birds affected by the heat too?
  • My lower legs & feet swell as if I’m preggers! On a daily basis! Maybe I am sitting down too much at work…
  • Life’s pace has to slow down- the walk home uphill is now a stroll and not a power walk, it ends with an iced drink in the garden. This has to be good for us, right?
  • But I have had some dreadful running experiences. I am not good running in the heat at the best of times, but have been demotivated and disheartened how I’ve missed runs “because it’s too hot”, or suffered dreadfully trying to maintain our usual type and timing of runs & ended up performing badly, struggling to run full stop. I will not tell you any more about the nadir except it was a 14.5 mile hilly run with little shade ending just before midday. Mad dogs indeed. But when you’re training for your first marathon this gets in your head & I have been forever berating myself for still not feeling “on track” & it’s my commitment at fault that I’ve not completed all of my weekly planned runs. So although workarounds were needed (eg getting up earlier for the weekend long run) I kind of knew that this particular issue would be short term. It’s UK, right. Our usual summer will return – & I feel as though it has today. I can enjoy the rest I’ve had & look forward to a fresh start.

Run skirt

Check out this running skirt (Jalie 2796) – too hot yet to wear as it is lycra that is in no way technically cooling or wicking.

Run skirt

The shorts are organic bamboo & quite thick too. So not worn or tested yet.  Don’t ask about the main fabric except that it is wild, man.

So anyone who’s interested in general healthy stuff you might have some views to offer on this bit: my healthy eating approach to support my training, my running diet has had a review. Now I don’t eat meat (but fish, sometimes, yes) and I’m careful about what I eat with the weekend being for treats: a few beers, crisps, bombay mix (my weakness), & post long run extras as required. But whilst I am careful I was suspecting that I might need to revisit the fab & informative book, “Go Faster Food” by Kate Percy. This contains a load of advice & information about nutrition for running & heaps of wonderful tasty recipes for all meals of the day, plus juices, cakes & even some example meal plans to support training & pre race nutrition. The recipes all give a breakdown of the nutritional value and are also identified as suitable for recovery, pre exercise or for general training diet.

I have frequently made the Melon rescue remedy (so simple- Melon blended with ginger & ice) to hydrate & refuel after long runs. This weekend I made a batch up of slow roasted tomato sauce for pasta, as well as some awesome spiced sweet potato, chick pea & spinach soup – it’s divine. Oh and some date & walnut muffins (:-) )

So OK, I have gone through & got a load of recipes to try from this book. But I have been saving the best for last. My latest enthusiasm is juicing folks.

Juicing

I’ve had spells of trying this in the past, but am hooked again, thanks to a running friend who has been sharing her experiences and sources of great inspiration. Juicing’s a bit popular at the moment, isn’t it? Did anyone see “Fat, sick & nearly dead” ? Worth a look – I am always inspired by people who turn their life around by changing their lifestyle & eating habits. I do believe in the healing power of so much of what we eat. My friend pointed out the “Juicemaster” website by Jason Vale. There are a number of free e-books of recipes to download. I have been excited to combine a whole load of veg: beetroot, cucumber, celery, spinach leaves with apples and lemon over ice to make the most palatable & excellent red juice that your body just knows is good for it.  You know there are some delicious juices containing veg, they might be green or even separate a bit, but they can actually taste good – promise!  You don’t have to go full freak to get some amazing health benefits – you can drink veg juice without it tasting obnoxious or reminding you of pondweed.  But even more exciting – Jason has been using juicing to support his marathon training & there is also an e-book called “Running on Juice” that not only has a bit of training advice, but also some recipes for training & hydrating juices. I have put these to the test & they are very good. The process of chopping & juicing fruit & veg standing at the juicer with post run muscle throb is weirdly rewarding!  Another site which tells you loads about the health benefits of each piece of fruit & veg, providing recipes for juices as well is Juicerecipes.   The website’s a useful place to find out what to try if you have specific health conditions too – the healing power of food indeed.  At the moment I am still fixed on recipes as it seems that when you follow a recipe you can be assured that it will taste OK. I find that going off piste, off recipe is at your own peril.

Luckily for me I have a market on a Saturday morning that sells cheaper fruit & veg – some only good for juicing to be honest, but worth a weekly trip. Supermarket prices would be restrictive I think.

So there, my latest thoughts on training and what I’m trying to do.  It’s not only the domain of runners though, maybe you are a juicing addict?  Any resources to share?  And any marathon vets out there, any training nutritional resources that you’ve used in the past that you would recommend?   I feel I need all the help I can get!

32 thoughts on “Clearing the air: eating & juicing to stay on track

The nicest thing about juicing is that you have so many fewer dishes to wash up, lol. (Just remember about beets all those times you’ve changed a baby’s diapers after feeding it beets, and don’t have a conniption fit, thinking that you’ve got a bleeding ulcer or something equally horrible.) Glad that you’re slowing down a bit for the heat — it’s why us U.S. southerners have a reputation for laziness. “Mad dogs and Englishmen” and all that surely rings true where I live.

I was sure that my darling little baby was hemorrhaging to death before my very eyes, succumbing to The Bloody Flux or some such mysterious ailment. Such are the fears of the first-time mother. She still likes beets.

O Winnie…tell me about the swollen feet!!! I love this weather and will not complain, but the swollen feet at the end of each day are horrible…I’ve actually had to soak them in icy water a couple of times to feel better. It was painful, but well worth it! As for juicing, I dabble and I only dabble as it’s too pricey to do all the time. But I do love a good juice and our local market comes in very handy for ingredients. Running wise, please don’t beat yourself up! You’re incredible and you’ll achieve exactly what you want to…it’s not your fault that this weather has been exceptionally warm, something your body won’t be used to! So don’t despair!

Oh you sweet heart Marie! Thank you.
      I’m not the only one with puffy feet then? It’s a new one on me – never felt the need for “soft shoes” before, & wearing shoes with closed toes? AArgh! Nightmare!!

3. Ali

Yes, I watched the programme. It inspired me so much I’ve ordered a new juicer!! I used to juice a lot but my son dropped my juicer (don’t ask!!) and it broke into many pieces. For some reason it never got replaced.

Re running and marathon training nutrition, I’ve recently converted to using protein shakes after a training session (run, cycle or gym) I resisted for years but too many of my running friends raved about it so I tried. It appeals to my lazy side when I can’t be bothered to think of something healthy and nutritionally balanced to eat after exercise.

If you’re on FB there are lots of running/fitness food groups. I like Fitness Recipes and Coach Connie.

Good luck with the training. I’m impressed with both your running and the fact you make your running gear. I have the Jali pattern but am too busy with the move I haven’t tried it yet. I’ve only done 1 marathon (New York 2002) and vowed never again. I just run to keep myself mobile and keep my weight down, rarely race now as I hate the stress.

Mmm, the melon rescue remedy sounds lush!

I am so ready for this hot weather to be over. The heat restricts my breathing when I’m doing nothing, so I can’t imagine what it must be like to try and run in this heat. I truly admire you for sticking to your training.

The heat makes me work harder but am slower with heavy tired legs. It’s really demotivating, but luckily I’ve had some better runs since so more back to plan – and am enjoying it again!!
      Must be awful for it to affect your lungs on a day to day basis. I hope you’re feeling better now the weathers cooling

5. Amy (quixoticpixels)

I’m really inspired by your running! I’ve recently started the couch-to-5k program. I’ve been “couch-bound” for years. It feels really great to get out and move. Love your running “skort.” I bought some supplex to make leggings for when it gets back to our usualy drizzly weather here in the Pacific NW of the US. I suspect it’s a lot like your weather 🙂

6. Barb

I do like the idea of juicing but the only juicer I’ve ever used seemed to have hundreds of bits that needed taking apart and washing up, which put me off enormously! Is this still an issue???

I think it depends. Mine is not as bad as some. It’s the perforated “foil” bit that works as a sieve that is a real pain….and I usually wash it straight away, or soak it, so that it’s easier to clean too.

7. Rachel

I read recently that if a run is missed, not to worry about trying to make up for it next time or spend time beating yourself up about it, BUT to consider why it was missed and what to do next time to avoid that happening again. Which you’ve already done by getting up a little earlier. Good on you. I went for a run at 11am on Saturday morning because I had been catching up on blog reading (or sewing p0rn as my husband calls it). He went for his run at 9:30 am. Let’s just say that he looked a lot more comfortable at the end of his than I did at the end of mine. This heat is lovely, but oppressive if not treated appropriately.
    The Melon Rescue Remedy sounds delicious – is a smidgeon of rum allowed in it too? 😉

8. Tabatha Tweedie

I love juicing! I have a veggie juice most days for breakfast and I also do a week-long juice only detox every three months. Three weeks ago, though, I started running, and I can tell you that at the moment I really don’t want to make myself a juice when I get back! All I can think about is sitting down and drinking water! Also a part of me thinks it would be overly virtuous to run & also drink a healthy juice!! But, I am a running newbie, so maybe as I improve I’ll feel more desire for a post run juice!

Nice to hear about your running/ juicing journey. So you are an expert juicer ! And a newbie runner. You could always make a juice before you run and keep it in the fridge for your return…

9. Susie

I do wish I could still run — I love to read your running posts to live vicariously through you! My knees gave out years ago…

Haven’t done the juicer thing, but we do own a Blendtec and make smoothies and juice with it. Kale may help with your swelling. You may want to see your doctor if that continues — just to rule out peripheral artery disease or another circulatory issue.

10. Nicki

I have found I have actually spent more time online because I am too hot to actually do anything remotely useful. I’ve been in the house more, as I am scared of frazzling up to a crisp if outside for more than 10 seconds, back rooms in the morning and front after lunch for optimum coolness. We haven’t had any storms here yet but I don’t want you to think I am moaning, loving every bit of it! Off to check out that book.

I am loving the look if your running skirt! I used to juice but haven’t kept my juicer…it had lots of tricky to clean components. I would like to start again – I feel my diet is n’t giving me enough energy. I will welcome a small break in the heat…it’s been so hot I feel mean putting the little ones in the car to go anywhere. xx

12. anne jewell

i use a Vita-Mix to make juices so that the entire fruit/veggie
    can be consumed. your ankle swelling might reduce naturally if you consume more kale (for the potassium).
    it’s actually pretty good as a beverage.–anne

You’re the second one who suggested kale. I will add it to my shopping list to try, thank you.
      And I’ve a vitamix too! So I know what you mean about using that powerhouse of a blender. I like putting the whole melon in, seeds that is, not skin!!

Just out of interest have you found a source for wicking fabric? I don’t run but I cycle and find wicking tops essential in this heat. I’d love to make some for myself but need to get hold of the fabric

Hi Jane wicking fabric I’ve found from ukfabricsonline – this is only suitable for tops though as it is 2 way stretch, sort of’mesh’. I think of it as cheap football shorts / tops fabric! For leggings I’ve used supplex from tissu fabrics and it’s good but quite thick. I’ll add the links when back on my laptop.

14. Rachel In Red

so intereseting to read about your eating habits. Last week I made lots of melonjuices (watermelon, ginger, lemon= divine!), but I haven’t completely given up sugar and coffee, and meat, haha! But I think every step towards a healthier lifestyle is a good one. My brother went completely vegetable (i.e. fruits and veggies and raw till four) since six months. He told me the other day that there are even bodybuilders that eat solely fruit. Maybe this website will be of any help for you: http://www.30bananasaday.com/