At last, the light is better & I can take better pictures. It’s almost as if weather conspired against Me Made May to scupper all thoughts of summer dresses & sunny photo opps. Oh well. Anyway, this is just a quick one – both blog post, & make!
I’d mentioned in my last post that I had a bit of a sewing fever (when I actually managed to find time to sew that is), but my sewing fever was fuelled by a need to fill some wardrobe gaps left by my summer clothes not fitting anymore. Enter Colette Patterns Ginger skirt. Now anyone who’s sewn this skirt knows it’s a quick make, especially unlined.
With a high sewing temperature I struck, easing my fevered brow by thoughts of a new skirt that would actually fit me & would mean no gaping waistbands as I sit down, no chance of someone taller than me (& let’s face it, there are plenty of people taller than me – the majority of adults & teens over the age of 14 I’d suggest) being able to see my knickers just by looking down the front of my skirt as I stood there.
I’d bought some deeelish peacock feathered cotton in Birmingham at the Fancy Silk store last year. I’d only bought a metre and a half, & hadn’t any designs on it except having designs on it to be taken home with me. I love peacock colours, just love them. This fabric came in different backgrounds & I opted for the turquoise one….
So, as I said, I was in a sewing fever & quickly cut out the Colette Ginger pieces, identifying which would be the correct size for me now. It’s been a while since I’ve sewn this skirt & I’d forgotten that it is not *just* an A line skirt. This skirt has no darts but is shaped with a slight curve from hip to waist. Its hem is also shaped so that it has the wisp of a bell effect. Now I could have cut it so that the front was all one piece, but then, as I said, the centre front seam curves slightly over your belly area, thus making it not a straight line to hug the folded fabric. I cut it in two pieces & made the seam.
Sorry for the creases, it has been sat around in when these pics were taken. Anyway, not sure if you can see there, I undertook absolutely no pattern matching. I thought about how the rows of feathers lined up when I cut, but that was it. I retro thought how to compensate for a clumsy and dodgy centre front seam, right obviously through all those glorious feathers. Edge stitching! Ta na! It made it a little more casual, but deliberately so. It meant that I also needed to edge stitch the waistband once that was all attached & sewn down, to match.
I also failed again to find an invisible zip in my stash, therefore sewed a lapped zipper. Now, I didn’t think this through properly, but did manage to recover my mistake. Lapped zippers require extra length in the back waistband to pop behind the lapped edge. Somehow I eeked out enough with what I’d cut, sewing thin seams & taking a bit extra in at the waist. It’s fine. Not worth a pic.
So this is the skirt at the end of the day. I am so happy not to be wearing a grey cardigan! It’s been great to get my legs out too. It was work appropriate- score! And I fashioned my necklace in its honour…
This is a silver / glass locket. You can fill it with what you want & over the years it’s had glitter inside, strands of vivid silk threads (sounds more effective than it actually was) & for the last 10 years or so, a pressed daisy. To bring it more into keeping with my current needs I recovered a single peacock feather earring (the other had long been lost on a night out, in days when my hair was longer & such danglies were more in keeping with my rats tails of a hairstyle). Quickly trimming off the excess I’d refashioned my locket into a glowing eye of colour. I think it’ll get lots more wear now! As will this skirt. Oh, it feels good to be in turquoise again, it means *those* shoes come out to play! 🙂