Day to Night Drape Tops- compulsive!

OK, confession time.  I am a Maria Denmark super fan.  Apart from enjoying her blog tremendously & having a stackload of admiration for her giving up her day job to live her dream designing & drafting sewing patterns, I absolutely love every single pattern that I have made that she has produced.  I am particularly keen on the knit patterns she has crafted – the style & fit are perfect for me.  They are distributed as pdf downloads, but don’t let that put you off – I’ve seen that she is making it even easier to download & construct all those pieces of printed A4 with her new Audrey dress pattern (yes I have it 🙂  ) Anyway, I have to say also that her instructions are also very well documented with photos to help explain the steps, and are easily achievable makes in my opinion.  Anyway, this post is about the Day to Night Drape Top pattern.

Folks, this is a speedy stylish sewing fix – seriously this pattern is sooooo easy to make, especially the sleeveless version.  Lizzy has made it in the sleeveless variety in highly covetable stripes, & even making it up as a dress (see here) .

Remember I made it here with long sleeves as soon as it came out, & was impressed with it & it has been worn lots.  Plus, you must know by now that I adore cowl necklines!  With summer on the horizon I could at last make it up sleeveless.

Drape Top

I had some fabric recently acquired that cried out to be made up in this pattern.  This is the wondrously fine jersey from Jill’s Itterations Workwear store on Etsy (remember it is still on special offer).  I had me some Silver lurex sparkle on beige (hey disco!!)

Drape Top

So this pattern is constructed from just two pieces: a front & a back.  It is easily made from less than a metre of fabric.  Bargainalicious.  And so stylish too.

Drape TopThe front has an integral facing that folds down to make the cowl.  This is what it looks like from the inside.  I am rapidly falling in love with using clear elastic to finish the neck & sleeve edges.  Just requires two rows of zig zag & so neat.

Drape Top

I could not stop at one, I had to make two 🙂

Jill kindly sent me some black to try & it is so soft & wonderfully fine.  Perfect for a drapey cowl.

Drape Top

Black to bring my By Hand Charlotte skirt into Spring rotation…

Drape TopI think it’s just the way I’m standing that makes it look a bit tight across the chest.  Although to be honest, this is clingy top.

And an added bonus?  This top took me an hour tops to make, once I’d cut it out.  Cutting out must take all of 15 minutes!

34 thoughts on “Day to Night Drape Tops- compulsive!

1. Lizzy

Could not agree more. BEST TOP EVER. I even buy an extra bit of fabric when I buy stretch as you can squish this top out of the tiniest bits of fabric. I’ve been hanging to make a black one… must get onto that!
    It turns into a superb dress – it only takes an extra 10 minutes to make 😉

2. Beata

O! I know what do you mean. I have made already about 5 of them (2 of them you may find here – http://wp.me/p2yS5n-Bc and others in previous posts). The beauty of it lays as well in the fact that you do not need a lot of fabric. Jersey is so nice to sew. This type of neck finish is so fabulous.

beata, you’ve got it! I can’t enjoy this pattern enough!! For all of the reasons you say. I’m going to look forward to seeing your versions too now, more inspiration!!

3. Steph A

Totally agree! I love your tops, and the black version is a fantastic core piece. Last month I made my first DtN top too, I love it! Definitely need more!

4. Steph A

Totally agree! I love your tops, the disco one will be great for going out! And the black one is terrific as a core piece. I NEED one too! I love this pattern, having just made one myself last month, I’ve got some more leftover fabric waiting to become another one.

5. Serena

I’ve never been drawn to cowls before, but your versions of this pattern are making me reconsider.

6. Clippedcurves

Ooo yet more everyday wearable makes Winnie… how do you do it?! I just had the Kirsten Kimono Tee emailed to me so if that goes well I could see this one being in my wish list!

Ooh, Mrs C, I like the champagne reference! I admit I’ve had some good solid sewing spells recently, when time has been in my favour. However, there is a challenge waiting for me on Barbarella for when I next have sewing time that hasn’t gone completely to plan!!

7. Andrea

These are both quite cute and they look great on you. I have the feeling that in the right fabric I could get away with wearing one of these under a suit jacket for work and when you are telling me that it takes no time flat to make, well you may just have convinced me 😉

8. Andrea

They are both super cute and they look great on you. Bonus that they take no time flat to make… you’ve got me thinking about this pattern!

9. Barb

A couple of gorgeous tops! (and gorgeous model of course!) As a non-sewer, I think it’s amazing you can think ‘ooh, I really need a new black top for this evening’s dinner with the ambassador’ and an hour later, voila: a super, duper new top! You’re one clever lady! x

10. Thea

I really like these – your first one had me buy the pattern already (and some fabric), and these have just completely pushed it up the sewing list. Can I ask, did you cut the same size at bust and waist and hips? My hips are a bigger size than waist etc., and I’m wondering whether to grade for the bigger hip size, or whether it’s lose enough to just go with the bust? Having said that, it’s not like I can’t take it in if it’s too big, right?

Hi Thea
      I did actually cut the same size throughout the top, not grading up for my hips. I would say that the size I cut (extra small I think) has a lot of negative ease, judging by the bust! I wouldn’t describe this as a loose top, but a figure hugging one. The instructions give you body measurements and I’d use them to decide how to tackle which size to choose and whether to grade up for hips. I’d say they were pretty accurate, for a figure hugging fit. Hope this helps?

11. Susan

You Rock those tops! They look fantastic on you. I think you’ve sold us all on Maria’s patterns. Just might have to get myself one or two fo those to try out !! Thanks for sharing.

12. Pingback: Back to work wardrobe building | the creative counselor