Baggy trousers: Vogue 8836

Can I say a big thank you to everyone who left me a comment on my last half marathon post …I was so hugely touched by your support, thank you xx

OK, I promised you some finished garments. Here’s something for you to get your eyes around.

Don’t ask me what my inspiration was. I have no idea. It certainly wasn’t these guys …

Source

But when you see mine, you could be forgiven for thinking that I am channeling them. I’m trying to think why I bought this pattern, Vogue 8836 & all I can think was that the photo used gave an aura of style: wide legged pants, high waist.

Source Vogue Patterns

And it reminded me of one of the outfits worn in Coco before Chanel when they are by the sea, (& I’ve vague memories of such trousers & a Breton shirt) but scour the webs as I might, I cannot find it. Maybe I am deluded. But I guess outfit inspiration for this post in general comes from the film. Bear in mind that the pattern envelope surely crushes all illusions of style:

20130305-180723.jpg

It took all my abilities to focus on the original photo to convince myself that it was worth a go. I’d bought some warm flannel type fabric from, yes, you’ve guessed it Birmingham Rag Market specifically for these trousers. It’s grey with a kind of herringbone woven into it. I’d been thinking that I’d make them as a winter weight & decide whether they would be suitable for nautical style in spring/ summer weight. I kind of fancy some chino type trousers in navy or petrol blue.

baggy trousers

Note, the pattern says “Easy”. What? Trousers that are easy to sew? How can that be? Well let me tell you that they are loose fitting, pleated at the waist. Get the waist fitting correctly with adequate room at your hips & this type of trousers hangs beautifully. No need for faffing with crotch length/ depth as they are designed for a looser fit.

OK, so if they are looser fit does that mean that they have the potential to enlarge rather than accentuate one’s curves? I guess in theory, if they hang nicely & you’ve got enough room in your hips, but snug enough without pulling the pocket, they should just create a different but flattering silhouette? I’m still a bit unsure myself because I’ve made these as per packet & tissue pattern. The legs are soooooo wide that I am not sure what shoes to wear with them. They have to be flat for me, but robust enough that they don;t get swallowed up by the trouser leg monster. [This may justify a new shoe purchase you realise ๐Ÿ˜‰ ]

baggies3

I’ve been wearing them at home & they are so cosy & easy to wear. The pleats can easily mask post pig-out bloating. The fabric is like two large tubes of blanket encasing my stick legs. Or maybe wearing a skirt on each leg perhaps?

baggy trousers

I think I’m brave enough to wear them out in public to work. They just feel so very *wide*. If I had the right shoes I would try it. The shoes I’m wearing in the photos are desperate. I wore them just down the road to the shop (so no more than a mile in total) & they rip my heels, even with socks. (Not a smart move the day before a half marathon let me tell you).

OK, I’ve kind of talked about them in reverse order. What about the making? They really are simple. The fly front is explained very well & that is potentially your trickiest manoeuvre. Everything else is straight up & down with a curvy central seam joining the two legs up. Turn-ups too are pretty straightforward – just extra big hems.

baggies4

The pockets & roominess of these trousers “at top” are inviting for hands that don’t know what to do. I felt myself walking around with warmer hands thrust inside. I used a “swimmers” remnant from my shirtdress to line the pockets. Very pleasing to see it in the winter.

Trouser pockets

There are fake pockets on the back – these are just flaps, but do serve to break up an expanse of butt – helps with the illusion of a smaller behind I’m told. I used shell heart buttons.

Pocket flaps with heart buttons

I experimented this time with interfacing. I took a risk primarily out of laziness & needing a break from fusible interfacing. I used self fabric to interface the waistband & pocket flaps. I seemed to prefer hand sewing it in rather than running the gauntlet with some fusible interfacing that I just knew was going to misbehave (this clairvoyance is a new skill). Whilst it worked well in providing more robust flaps/ waistband, I’d have to say that even with clipping corners it’s still more of a bulky finish (call me Sherlock too).

baggy trousers

I’ve added this pic as it shows how much *room* there is at the top. It’s clearly a way of wearing trousers that I need to get used to. Kind of Chaplinesque …

I have to say though that I will be tempted to make more of these trousers. Maybe I’ll slim them down a bit. I can’t imagine any mariner worth his salt would want bell bottoms quite this wide …as Gary inferred, they must be fashionable because they are not practical. (Not that “fashionable” is my requirement, but you know what I’m saying!)

Anyone else made these? What have your experiences been? Different fabrics?

59 thoughts on “Baggy trousers: Vogue 8836

1. Stef

I haven’t made these but I made a short-length version of Vogue 2761 (http://vintagepatterns.wikia.com/wiki/Vogue_2761_A) which I think it’s very similar (mock fly, very loose fit, dead easy even for beginners), and I was happy with the fit, even though I did do a crotch length adjustment. I love wide legs but I am not crazy on them on me, because I feel they make the wide wider ๐Ÿ˜‰ and I am already tall enough so I don’t need them to disguise high heels.

I do think you look great in them and to me wide legs are the height of fashion, because of Lauren Bacall. Check out the left and middle pics in the image halfway down this blog post: http://www.dresseduplikealady.com/2010/12/one-lace-top-two-ways.html
    There’s also pics of Katharine Hepburn wearing a similar style and they look amazing. If it’s good enough for them ๐Ÿ™‚

Well done on the race too, I am still slowly recovering from injury and can’t do more than the occasional jog, which is close enough to driving me insane. I hate not being able to run!

How interesting Steph, that pattern you’ve linked to is a slightly tamer version, and I can see: same style but possibly more wearable. The other link makes me feel easier ‘ terrifyingly huge trousers’! Are bigger than mine! But the images in the middle do show the spirit of mine, you’re right. Thank you for the reassurance!
      And big thanks to for running comment. I have not normalised yet, so it’s great to keep getting reminded!

These look fab Winnie. I’m always slightly scared of wide trousers myself but these are great on you. How tall are you if you don’t mind me asking? I always imagine wide legged trousers on tall people for some reason!

3. punkmik

Loving these. The back fits perfectly and the pleats are nice. Maybe you are right and just unsure as the style is outside your comfort zone but it suits you. Very good choice and who doesnt love easy to make trousers!?

I think you pull them off Winnie, very Annie Hall chic! As somebody who suffers from a lack of height, over-wide trousers make me nervous, which is why I’m going to narrow the legs on my Juniper’s. I particular like the fake butt pockets and the fabric on yours, the whole package is very classy. x
    ps. Madness were the first band I ever went to see! x

I knew I could rely on you to have a story about Madness!
      I’m still with you on the “very wide” aspect & height….but as said earlier, maybe it’s just outside of my comfort zone, that’s all…

5. ooobop!

Oooozing class Ms Badger! A pair of chunky brogues would do nicely! Excellent styling. I love more than anything that it is anti-high street. That’s why we sew, isn’t it?

Chunky brogues indeed. That’s where I’m heading I think. Or chunky loafers (but they seem to slip off my pathetic feet!)
      And yes, that is why we sew, you’re so right!

6. Lizzy

Love these Winnie! I’m a huge wide legged trousers fan, even though skinny legs are all the rage I often think these sort are much more flattering and feminine. Not long til meet up now!

Plus, the low-hanging crotch on a true trouser prevents any weird bunchiness “down there” and gives you plenty of room when you sit down. I lub me some wide-legged britches. These look adorable on you. I think you are just not used to seeing yourself in this silhouette. As long as the fit is good around the hips and waist — and yours is — it all looks intentional and not “I’m borrowing my big brother’s britches.” Do be careful when walking, though, not to catch your toe in the hem and cause yourself to trip. Or break a toenail, if you’ve not yet donned footwear.

OOOhhhh, I like them. You look very chic. I think they would look good with a fitted cardie or tee and scarf. I am glad to hear it’s not me who has issues with fusible interfacing. That little peek of swimmers-lined pockets is a great touch. :0 xx

8. Thewallinna

A girl never owns enough shoes! And you go for it! Nice, nice pair of trousers! They sit perfectly and suit your personality of adventurous seafarer ๐Ÿ˜‰

9. Tamsin W-P

Very stylish for a skirt on each leg! seriously, I am much more in favour of a wide-ish leg.I only ventured in to the land of almost skinnies last year, and whilst I think they are my best jeans, all my other trousers are wide. I think these look great on you and I love the material!

10. Kerry

I agree with ooobop – a lovely pair of brogues with a chunky heel would look fab. I really like how you’ve styled the trousers and though I can understand your trepidation at the width, I think they have a lovely classic look.

11. Awfulknitter

I had to delurk to say that I thought that the photo and the pattern envelope were of two different things! On the model, the trousers look fitted at the top (flat fronted), but they’re clearly illustrated with pleats and a much drapier fabric.

Anyhoo, I think they look pretty good on you. They certainly look comfy! I prefer wide-legged trousers, I think they’re much more likely to be flattering than straights or skinnys, which so often have poor fit issues like the ‘knee concertina’, which always makes me think of robots from 1950s sci fi films…

Hello & thank you for de-lurking! Yes, I felt it worth showing the difference between photo & actual envelope as they seem so far apart!
      I like your reference to leg concertinas! Very familiar ๐Ÿ™‚

12. Sew Little Time

i love wide legs and these look great! i normally would wear them with flats (i know conventional wisdom says heels but i am tall and don’t wear heels much) – probably ballet pumps and a slim fitting top. great look (and i’m going to be singing baggy trousers all day!)

13. Lauren

Oooh, me likey! They are very Annie-Hall, esp with that necktie… you just need a vest. And look at those bathing beauties in your pockets!

Good idea! Now that would be a real statement outfit then, vest/ waistcoat & comments later also suggest cravat & monocle – what larks!! It seems I have missed as styling trick

14. Seamstress Erin

I love them! I think you totally rock the wide-leg trousers, even at a measly 5’3″. (Not to be rude, but I’m 5’10” ;). I have similar trousers on my to-sew-eventually list, but no appropriate fabric in my stash, so they are constantly getting pushed down the list. If you want a crazy-simple trouser pattern that’s not quite so wide, lots of sewing bloggers have enjoyed making Simplicity 3688 (myself included http://seamstresserin.com/40s-khaki-trousers/).

Oooh, just checked them out & they are lush (funny story about your derp moment!!) But for some reason I can’t leave a comment to tell you this ….something technical with my end perhaps

15. Kelly

Nice pants! I am also on the short side, and admire your courage to go wide-legged. The pants look good on you, and are actually slimming. I really like your back pockets too, the heart buttons are a sweet but still classic detail. I may need to rethink this silhouette, as I imagine pants like this to be the most comfortable things ever!

16. Lucy

Oh wow! Wide legged trousers would not be a good look on me (6’0″ tall and hovering between pear and hourglass) but you pull them off fabulously.

Might I also say as a resident of Birmingham that I am always terribly jealous of your skill for spotting the best fabrics on the rag market. Unless you got if from the Barry’s stall, in which case it doesn’t count ๐Ÿ˜‰

Are you sure there is not a wide legged pair that would suit you & show off those wonderful legs of yours?

And this fabric I have to say was not Barry’s, it really was from one of the outside stalls (can’t remember how much, but very good value as you’d expect)

Annie Hall!
    Or KD Lang in the 90’s (this is a good thing!)
    They remind me a lot of my 1970’s Betsey Johnson pattern… the shocking pink cords!
    I definitely think you need to style them good and hard – the tie is good, but maybe a bit scary for work colleagues?
    A trilby would work.
    A flamboyant waistcoat?
    A cravat?
    1930’s. Weimar. Two-tone brogues. Gertrude Stein.

Now styling like this “hard” as you say really would scare work colleagues, you are right! But it has been nice wearing the crisp white cotton shirt (not me made, but a hand me down for refashioning from my Mum).
      I wonder if I can get away with any of those accessories/ styling at work you suggest….hmmm

18. Steph A

Oooooh, they’re smashing!!! I love this style on you. I remember the trousers in the movie “Coco before Chanel”, they looked great with the breton top.

19. Beklet

Ooh they’re smart…I want some but I’m a munchkin….I do wear wide legged trousers, and I prefer flats too, so I usually go for New Rock shoes or army boots – no that’s not very glamorous but I’m lazy…

20. Susan

I think you need a seriously high heel and a tight top with these trousers. They look fantastic.
    I know I would prefer a nice comfortable brogue !!

21. liza jane

I agree that the photo and pattern envelope look really different. That being said, I really like your version. I could see them with a very slim turtleneck on top. Love the little heart buttons, too.

22. MrsC (Maryanne)

Winnie I love these Oxfords. I love how you have styled them, too. Very Quaint Irene, if you’ve ever read, or seen, “Mapp and Lucia”. Very stylish. And I think they are very practical – warm and roomy and comfortable. You just need some nice brogues to wear with them.
    I SO much prefer these kinds of trousers to Clovers and their ilk. ๐Ÿ™‚

23. Becky

OK, delurking to say that you look fantastic! I think these suit you. But I would say that as I think wide legged trousers suit most people. If they fit in the waist and hip, they are flattering for everyone, IMHO. Skinny pants make me (and most gals) look too hippy! I don’t think it is a silhouette that people can pull off well unless they are model skinny. If the legs are too wide, then it plumps one up, but the legs just need thinning down if that is the case. You look really suave!

24. Michele

I think they look great! I’ve just bought this pattern and I’m going to try it with a light-weight crepe for the spring ( very Michael Korrs SS14!). I’ll take your comments on board about the amount of material and get the best fit I can before sewing up. Thanks for the tips

25. Pingback: Minerva Make: Named Tyler Shirt in retro lawn | Scruffy Badger Time

26. Kellie Rose

Oooo look who I found when searching for reviews on this pattern. I had a blue pinstripe pair like this back in the day that I loved, loved, loved. Alas too much cake and a baby means they haven’t been worn in quite a while but I will recreate them, yes! Thank you for the info, I’m so pleased to read they are an easy make… just need to find some blue pinstripe now ๐Ÿ™‚