Birthday goodies & my latest running top, a Kirsten Kimono Tee

So today is my birthday & I knew you’d appreciate the sewing treats I’ve been festooned with (I am sooooo lucky!!).  I thought you’d also like to see yesterday’s make ….this will be a picture heavy post, drool away & imagine my inner joy, the perfect men I have to say responsible for many of them…and can I mention the huge amount of chuffedness to be wished happy birthday first in Danish & then in Portuguese – what a surprise & just what is so wonderful about our on-line sewing community!!

Now hope you enjoy these pics of awesome sewing pressies – I just know you’ll understand just how excited I was.  Look at this box of super goodies, an array of threads, buttons, lace & gadgets ..

sewist delight

Then in partnership with Susan from Sewbox look what I received:

sewbox gift

Yes, that is a gift wrapped in genuine Liberty fabric …

Inside ..

super pressie

Two lengths of bonafide Liberty lawn (I haven’t ever bought any of this for myself – what a treat!!) & two patterns I have been desperately hankering for – the Elisalex dress (I think I might have to break my one dress a month rule, or bring a month forward as I am frantic to make this) & the Pussy Galore blouse by Eliza M (my next make, oh yes!).  Clearly I shall try to use the fabric to make these patterns if possible …(a pink summer Elisalex dress – hmmmm yes please!).  Now I also got some money & shall use it to buy the Anise jacket pattern, it’s no good, too many gorgeous versions out there, the most recent temptation brought to us by Sonja at Ginger Makes.

But what about this genius present:

learning

Html & CSS by Jon Duckett – even I can understand this!  You know I might actually feel comfortable with a little bit of web tinkering (I have to admit to being a total scared neo-dinosaur with respect to html at the moment!)  How insightful !

So today not only did I have many wonderful sewing related gifts,  I also elected to spend my birthday running in the Longleat 10k (which came before pressie opening just to prolong the special day!) What was fun?  I got Gary to join me ! Hehehehe!  Now Gary is actually a naturally fit man & could become a very good runner (“for his age” he would like me to add), however circumstances usually conspire against him as soon as he starts to get any kind of running routine.

Dynamic duo

However, for those of you who don’t know, Longleat is in Wiltshire & its business operates as a safari park & stately home.  It is set in a wonderful estate, hosts a Center Parcs leisure complex but is most famous for its lions! However, you will be disappointed I expect, to realise that the 10k did not feature any outrunning of carnivorous beasts, marvelling at giraffes or evading the notorious monkeys.  For anyone interested it was tough: 3 hills (not undulations), but with the ups at least there were downs…, and it was less than an hour of challenge.  We were both pleased with our times & the ensuing license such exercise gave us to feast ourselves on a slap up Sunday dinner.

Longleat runner

Here I am with the impressive Longleat House (side view only) in the background.  I am modelling my latest running top:  a Kirsten Kimono Tee from Maria Denmark made out of technical “wicking” fabric.  Check out my awesome leggings – a Christmas pressie – I made the top to match them.  I’m pleased with my latest attempt at sewing a running top.  It is royal blue with cerise pink bindings to the neck, sleeves & hem.   The hem actually involves a little bit of a drawstring & bow (mainly because the differences between the pink & blue fabrics meant that the pink misbehaved & needed drawing in to line!  But I like the bow …)

Kristen running

Here it is on Barbarella.  Looking forward to wearing it on show as opposed to it being underneath a warmer running top …See the medal – it features a Longleat lion!

Next post will be the next installment of “Desert Island Sewing” …oooh!  So many exciting sewing thoughts to think about!!!!  Happy Sunday everyone :-)

68 thoughts on “Birthday goodies & my latest running top, a Kirsten Kimono Tee

Aw happy birthday Winnie, so pleased you spent it doing something you love. And what presents!!!!! I’m just a tiny bit jealous!
    Please tell Gary he looks in fine shape “for his age”, but surely he’s only about 35?! Enjoy the ret of your special day. xx

2. missjoiedevivre

Happy birthday! I’m so delighted that the people who know you spoiled you so perfectly! What a wonderful collection. Well done on doing the run as well, you both look great and I’m so impressed you made your running top. You could make Gary a matching one, I’m sure those bright colours would look great on him.

Hmm, there are so many gaps in Gary’s wardrobe that I probably *should* try to fill! “One day” maybe! But yes, the colour would look good on him…thank you for bday wishes too – feeling very spoiled by everyone saying it in the comments too :)

3. Lizzy

Happy Birthday!!
    Gorgeous presents! I’ve also just got the Elisalex pattern and am DYING to make it… just to find the right fabric….

Happy Birthday Winnie. It looks like you had a fabulous, if rather energetic day, and received some gorgeous pressies. That bright print Liberty fabric is scrummy, I can’t wait to see what it becomes.

5. Shar

Happy birthday!! Your running clothes are SO much more interesting and stylish than my black and grey workout wear. The pic of you and Gary made me smile – hope you had a terrific day!

Tips for running tops & technical fabrics? Well, the secret is that this stuff is just like normal polyester ….sewn with my overlocker. But am sewing some different type of technical fabrics at the moment so might do a catch all – even if it is to dispel any of the myths. I will make a mental note of this idea – thank you :)

6. Jo

What I love most about this post is how excitable it is :-) You clearly had a very happy birthday! Belated best wishes from me too…

7. Helen

Happy Birthday! What a lot of lovely presents!

I didn’t like my attempt at the kimono tee but yours is a lot looser in fit which I prefer! Maybe I should stop being so vain and try a size up?!

Happy birthday, girlie!!!!!! Glad you had such a wonderful day! You and Gary are just too cute together! :D

Oh, and thanks for the shout-out! Can’t wait to see your jacket!

Wooo, Happy Birthdau fellow Aquarian ;o) What amazing gifts you got and good job on the run and getting Gary to join! What a healthy way to spend a birthday!!!

10. Shelly

Happy birthday Winnie! You are one lucky girl to receive such wonderfully thoughtful pressies. It sounds like you had a wonderful day. And I love the bow on your new running top. It gives a lovely feminine touch.

11. Adrienne

Happy birthday, Winnie! Your leggings are truly wonderful and so is the top you made to go with them! You inspire me to start making my own running gear.

12. MariaDenmark

What great presents! And I love the running top! I have been trying to search for wicking fabric – but couldn’t find anything.. Do you have a more technical term? Or a link to a UK/Euro shop?;-)
    And also – Happy Birthday again! I admire you for running 10 K – especially on a birthday, which would probably cause me to say I didn’t have to run, as it was my birthday (you know, the same as you don’t have to clean/cook/whatever you don’t want to on your birthday)..

Happy birthday greetings! What fab presents – I love the patterns. The new running tee looks great too. I have just agreed to do a 2km fun run….starting off my running. help! xx

14. karine

Joyeux Anniversaire !
    You’re good at running, you’re good at sewing, you’re good at writing awesome posts… Tell us, is there something you’re really bad at doing ???

Oh lots! Doing nothing, html (at the moment!), shredding my bills & bank statements (I have a bag filled with “things to be shredded ” that probably date back 4 years), keeping track of time when sewing…& many many more! But thank you for the French wishes too – that’s 4 languages now – cool!!

15. Andrea

Feliz Cumpleaños Winnie! Now you can add Spanish to your list of greetings ;) Sounds like you got some very good pressies and that you spent the day doing excactly as you wished – as it should be! That’s a lovely colour combo on your new running top.

Oh, happiest of happy birthdays to you! Imagine your favorite cake and then imagine that I baked it and sent it to you for your birthday (the reality would not live up to your expectations, what with distance to be shipped, and all). Looks as if you had a happy and exhausting day, just like my favorite line from “Pippin”: “How are you?” “Tired, but happy — which isn’t a bad way to end a musical comedy.”

I left a cake in a bedroom-used-for-coats once, a cake for a surprise birthday party. I put it on the dressing table bench, and tucked the bench under the table. Sometime during the event, the little chair was pulled out, coats were dumped atop it, and then someone sat on the coats. Some great big, hulking adult, from the size of the butt print. I hope yours was not as squashed as that.

17. Sølvi

A belated Happy Birthday! or “Gratulerer med dagen!”(that´s Norwegian) or “Grattis på födelsedagen” (that´s Swedish).

Looks like you were in for a treat yesterday, and I love your prezzies! :-) Have fun sewing!

18. Amy

Sounds like you enjoyed your birthday! Yay! Sorry I’m late to the party. I cant wait to see your pussy galore blouse :-) I think they were missing a trick keeping all the animals away from the runners. Could have provided some extra motivation!

19. Christine

A belated Very Happy Birthday to you, Winnie! I’m most impressed with your presents, running and running-gear-sewing. In fact, I feel quite tired out with all that vicarious energy and effort! Well done you.

20. amy

Oops, as usual I’m very late, but Happy Birthday Winnie! Very impressed with your running top and envious of your Liberty gifts, though you thoroughly deserve them after that run!

21. Pingback: Eliza M Pussy Galore Bow Blouse