I had mentioned in my sewing plans that I would join in Lladybird’s Thurlow trouser sewalong. It was a means to get organised & ensure that I finally got round to making a pattern that I had leaped at buying as soon as it was released but had been languishing in my “to make” list. I’d thought I’d make the shorts up with some silk/ wool mix in mini dog tooth check. I even made a muslin, thinking that being trousers there were bound to be “issues”. But there weren’t as I could see. The muslin fitted trouble free, nice shape, not even a baggy waistband. I fluffed up my feathers & felt confident about making them for real. It just took me a long time to get around to cutting them out. I was in time with Lladybird’s muslin posts, but her sewalong posts had already started to be published before I got cutting.
And then I found I had enough to make longs! (And when I knew this it made me chuckle because they might also look like old man trousers!!) I was a bit dubious of the leg shaping, not being sure if I wanted bootcut trousers, so was prepared to deal with that when the time came, but embraced the even more practical concept of adding another pair of trousers to my wardrobe (far more possibilities than shorts in reality I thought). Lladybird’s step by steps are brilliant, with good useful photos & typically gut laughing sidebars (I will never forget her mention of “ass-windows” when describing what we didn’t want when making our welt pockets).
Making the welt pockets reminded me of making bound buttonholes, but bigger & less fiddly! I feel I could have been more precise with mine….
For some reason though, I completely sidetracked my sewing sense when making them up, totally disempowering myself to the idea of a step by step sewalong but neither reading all of Lladybird’s instructions carefully enough nor Sewaholic’s written instructions. You might wonder what I mean. Well, let’s say that my order of construction, despite not being a newbie to making trousers, was not only irrational, but downright trouble-making. I followed all of LLadybird’s pictures for making the front pockets, making the welt pockets and the fly front. They were really helpful- the detail & arrows spoonfed me & I guess disengaged my brain.
So helpful in fact that I didn’t bother reading about the steps I needed to make in between. By the time I’d sewn the fly I’d realised that I hadn’t sewn any seams at all. Everyone knows that sewing the crotch seam comes before inserting the zipper, but for some reason I had a serious mental bypass which then required me to sew the crotch seam with zip & fly already in situ. Derr! Yes. You’re right, it was exceedingly tricksty & needed some handstitching at the end.
As if this stitching challenge wasn’t enough I also managed to cut the left waistband wrongly so that it wasn’t big enough- but only discovered this once I had attached the waistband (& trimmed the seams).
I didn’t have a large enough piece of fabric left to cut a new piece so I had to do a fiddly fabric jigsaw involving some ghoulish unpicking. (Actually, I have since found that I did have more fabric, looks like my memory was in collusion with my defective brain that day!)
If you look carefully you can see that the pointed end has a seam just to the left of the fastener…it’s the same in the lining as well. I’d allowed my dreams to process how best to resolve this particular conundrum, deciding that this was the lesser evil, as the seam wouldn’t show when being worn as it is hidden by the overlapping right waistband. Do you have faith in your dreams? Do you let them help you when you’ve a problem to solve?
But despite all of my misadventures I have to express my utter love for the Thurlow trousers! The fit is sublime. I love the welt pockets. I adore the amount of lovely lining inside.
I had wondered about the bootcut legs, worried about the shape, but I am a fan of this too.
I want to make more. I think a dark denim pair could be added to the plan.
This pair I reckon are dual purpose – work & casual. And these photos have been taken after a whole day’s wear yesterday. Look! It doesn’t crease! I feel as if I have hit the jackpot!
I had a bit of time after I finished them in the evening & wanted to try out some more machine embroidery. This was what I came up with, being a bit stumped for inspiration !
So thank you Lladybird for your ace sewalong. And thank you Tasia for yet another cracking pattern.