Being a running tourist

I've come to love exploring areas I visit with the excuse that I'm “training”. This time I took pictures along my route, which must be one of my favorite places to run. catching all the beaches plus an estuary at low tide meant that I maxed out in beach running and awesome views. Hope you don't mind me sharing them with you, for a change.

Newquay, Cornwall. The town beaches.

Of course with lots of stops along the way it could hardly be described as 'training'. This is the first set of beaches, only possible to run along the length when the tide is out.

My phone camera is as useless as the person trying to use it….this is a self portrait…me in running gear with the glorious waves behind!!

There was a bit of rock pool negotiation at times…not my fastest run!

The weather this weekend in the West Country continues to be big. Last night there was tremendous volumes of rain thrown down and 69mph winds. So many places that are usually unaffected by flooding washed out, with loads of flood warnings. Maybe I'll get stranded down here…. 😉

So anyway, I found a dry spell that coincided with low tide to run along the beaches and up to the harbour. That's technically 4 beaches so far…

Look that's me! I'm wearing my dayglo running top underneath you know.

This is my fifth beach- fistral. There's people in the water, surfing, even in November. We walked here yesterday in the rain along the squelchy coastal path and became soaked to the skin. Today though it was heavenly, but running into the wind slightly, I was in fear of losing my hat. I knew to leave the coastal path alone today.

Firstral again from the other end. being a running tourist involves a bit of stop starting.

From fistral it's possible to get over to the estuary, the gannel. This has to be yet another of my fave places to run, really off roading with rocks, shingle and pools to dance around. On a Sunday morning I think of it as dog tv too: you can stay still and observe so many dogs going bonkers for water, balls and open space, and even chasing sea birds. Who needs cable?!

And my final stretch took me through Trenance gardens where there is a boating lake frequented by enthusiasts every Sunday that I've found myself here.
I reckon that running's given me more energy and enthusiasm to go out and explore. My parents have totally accepted that i go for runs when i visit, and don't think I'm nuts, even if they don't necessarily understand! Whenever I visit new places I think I've said before I ask myself the question ' but could I enjoy running here?'. I'm also thinking of twisting this concept further and entering races in other places to visit them as part of a running tourist trail….hoping to get into the great north run next year and that will be worthy of more of an explore.
What about any of you runners out there? Do you ever find yourself looking at views and stopping for picture? Do you run when away from home or is it a welcome break to leave your shoes behind? What do you think of the concept of running tourism?

30 thoughts on “Being a running tourist

1. merche

Holy Moly! the first photo took me back to my childhood beach El Sardinero, Santander (google it,of you want to see it for yourself!)
    Wonderful places indeed! What a joy to go for a run in them!

Wow, glad to have rekindled a childhood memory, even if it’s not quite the same place! It really is my favorite place to run though, but I’m thinking that there could be so many beaches all over the world I could explore by running!;-) if only!!!

2. Tilly

Have you seen The Yes Man? Stupid movie, saw it on a plane once. But it does have this great memorable scene where Zooey Deschanel leads a Jogging Photography club – a whole group of people taking photographs while they’re jogging, quite funny. I imagine you stopped to take your shots though – they’re just gorgeous xx

Hi Tilly, that sounds very silly, but a spot of crazy genius! It could be lots of fun to take pics and not stop ! Not only a great excuse for quality of photos, but I’m sure I’d crack up reviewing them all afterwards!!

3. Jamie

I hike almost every day because we and our two high energy dogs live right by the foothills in Colorado. I take photos of the dogs and the mountains every time! (The dogs are much more photogenic than I am…) I’m all for running photography!

Wow, you’ve certainly got great sources of inspiration, no wonder you take your camera out with you….sounds amazing Jamie, and I’m not surprised you take many pics of your dogs….I used to take love taking pics when I had a dog as a teenager , and that was before the age of digital photography…

4. Steph A.

Wow! What a fantastic area to run in, I love the beaches. Alas, Ottawa is no where near the coast, but we do have nice paths along the canal and rivers. Since my husband started running, he’s also been thinking of combining holidays with races! It’s a great idea!

I feel like you about not having a beach to run in everyday life … But that can be part of a longer term life change goal for me! We also have scenic places to run, and like you, I try to seek them out. Now the idea of being a running tourist’s no. One supporter ( ie not having to actually do the race!) is a very good plan!!

5. Corinne

These picture are stunning. I live in a land locked area surrounded by rivers. I love the sea and the beaches, I might even consider running under such influence! More like walking for me. Thank you so much for sharing. Loved it.

6. Kbenco

The run looks awesome. I love being a running tourist. Usually this is just when we visit my in-laws, and it is a very good opportunity to have a little break from everybody (although I do like my in-laws, a little break is a good thing on this sort of visit 😉
    My favourite run this year was a dawn run along a back road through vineyards in the Hunter Valley. There was a hot air balloon race! It looked amazing, but I had no camera on my run. Maybe I should start taking one……

Hi kbenco,
      I read about your run and I did the runner’s equivalent of a swoon! It sounds fantastic, and getting up so early, for me would be harder, but so totally worth it to catch the balloons…I’m thinking about all these runs being shared in comments, and definitively feel more running tourism is in order! All these wonderful experiences….

7. Anne

Sight seeing while running is one of my favourite holiday things to do! I sometimes plot runs before I arrive…other times I just head off and see what I see! Most memorable tourist runs include: London along the Thames, Cardiff around the harbour, Inverness around the island and Paris along the Seine. Also love being a tourist in my own city (Sydney) …the run from The Rocks, around the Quay, past the Opera House and through the Botanic Gardens exhilarates me every time!

Apparently you can book guided runs in Rome? That’s a long term plan with my running buddies…

Congrats on cranking up the running…great that you are enjoying it so much! And looking ever stylish in your custom made running gear!

Hi Anne, thank you for your super inspiring comment!! You really have running tourism nailed by the sounds of it, and I vow to take inspiration from you because even the telling of your runs is exciting and has meaning!! Guided running tours in Rome!!! How incredible would that be? I’m imagining the possibilities….running round the colosseum has just made me smile, as I wonder if you can run inside!!!

8. Karen

Wonderful photos, thanks! I love running on the beach too; it’s the only place I’ll run outside as anywhere else hurts my knee. We used to live about 3 blocks from the Pacific, and that was an amazing beach for running…now the beach is about 3 hrs away, so I run at the YMCA on the treadmill.

Aren’t they just! They seem to meet every Sunday morning & those boats – they just keep moving all round the lake with gentlemen keeping up with them as they steer them from the shoreline.

Love the photos – reminding me of Cornish holidays 🙂 I still haven’t started running unless you count today’s sprint down the road with pram chasing T with the forgotten PE bag on my back??? Running tourism sounds great to me – maybe you see different things especially if running early in the mornings. Got some good potential runs near me….whenever you want to visit. 🙂

Cool! I like the sound of new runs near you Debbie!! I guess they’ll be country routes, which I have to say scores very highly on my perfect run-ometer! You must be super fit running around after your little ones, I bet you’d outpace me!

10. Rebecca

I’m also a running tourist, in all the ways that have been mentioned: I use running as an excuse to see a bit more of wherever I’m visiting, I do running tours (usually individualized tours with friends–I’m not speedy and don’t want to slow strangers down… but I’ve done this in London, as well as Peru! I’ve also done biking tours: China, Sicily, Israel, Reykjavik… ), and destination races (Reykjavik and Israel, as well as many US cities, since I’m in the US). It’s great!

Wow! How I like the idea of running & seeing so many new places in other countries! When I wrote this I hadn’t really extended my thinking & was contemplating UK destinations, but travel to other countries, now that’s a thought!

11. Adrienne

The pictures are beautiful! Running is one of my favourite ways of discovering a new city when travelling. I’ve signed up for Stockholm marathon in June 2013, so I’m looking forward to that!

12. Janet

I like running whilst on holidays, too. Your pictures reminded me of the early morning beach runs I did last year in Blackpool. Just so lovely and a completely different perspective on the place when you are running there down on the beach with hardly anyone else around. Really uplifting.
    And then, also last year, I took the family to revisit my old university town, Durham. I wasn’t a runner as a student, but went for an early run whilst we were staying there – it was so lovely seeing it from a completely different perspective – almost made me wish I’d done it whilst living there. Although I did have a stab at rowing, and that gave an equally lovely set of views of the river. Anyhow, enough waffle. Glad you’re loving your running!

I’m getting convinced to take my running gear everywhere I go with your comments Janet! What a great way to experience somewhere, even familiarm differently.
      Now, trouble is, my next holiday is in the mountains, skiing. Anyone run in a ski resort before?

13. Pingback: Award Inspiring | CherryPix : SewingPix