Madeleine by Victory Patterns

I have been so unbelievably busy this week….seriously have not had time to even dabble in blog reading…or, check this out for just how busy …Gertie’s new book arrived & I have only had time to leaf through the pages – once – no reading time – at all!  So lots of catching up to do….but not this weekend as I’m off to London for a girls’ reunion.  What a whirl!  In sewing land I have a few matters to catch up on & nearly have a revitalised reorganised sewing room to show off also (it’s paradise!)

Anyway, enough excuses, let’s get onto the interesting stuff.  The Victory Patterns Madeleine skirt

– it has something of a “je ne sais quoi” about it ….

I made this a couple of weeks ago and have worn it a couple of times now.  It is very comfy, with a slightly high waist, that I made the effort to get fitting just right – it just took a few tryings on.  But back to the beginning …before I get carried away ….I made it out of some super cheap polyester blend fabric that looks like a Bedford cord & has quite an amazing drape.  I bought the end of a roll, so had not opportunity to get any more, but was originally intending to use it to make a wearable muslin of the Thurlow trousers.  But there wasn’t enough!  I was stumped, prevaricated much longer than usual debating whether to use it for Thurlow shorts, whether to use my other expensive fabric (silk/ wool blend) to make Thurlow shorts before trialling with cheaper fabric …& then what did I do? Well, printed out Victory Patterns Madeleine of course!  Completely off track…..nice fitting modern trousers transformed into a full characterful skirt that harks back to days gone by & has numerous style connotations in my book….but I will spare you ;-) for now.

Before I started I saw that this pattern has been developed for the average 5’6” + lady & therefore I shortened the paper pattern first (very unlike me to take this into account before slicing through my fabric!) I shortened it by about 3”, having tried it against my body to check I wasn’t making a boo boo.  For the rest of the sizing I tried as I went along (see, I’m learning!) & tweaked here & there to get a good fit, since there is a real danger that full skirts will look awful if too big & emphasize all the wrong places!  Took quite a lot off the waist & hips from the size I thought I would be, but am pleased with the fit & it seems comfy [note to self - incorporate fitting into my method & don't worry if that sometimes means I'm sewing in my undies!]

Now Madeleine is a really pretty pattern with braces (or suspenders depending from where you hark ) & amazingly eye grabbing & elbow reaching patch pockets (and they are – I can nearly get my whole arm in them!)

The pockets are a dominant feature & are constructed first.  Sensibly they are lined & then top stitched (or triple stitched in my case) & then attached to the skirt pieces.  I lined mine with some of that ever present navy polka dot fabric that was used for my Cambie dress & scalloped shorts.  What I learnt from using these two fabrics together this way was that next time I could consider interfacing the fashion fabric to stabilise it, as with its wonderful drape came less wonderful skewing properties which were highlighted when using a very stable lining fabric.

This skirt came together really quickly, but if I am honest I didn’t really read the instructions provided.  I did look at the waistband attaching section, as there are often new things to learn from others’ techniques. Unfortunately I wasn’t able to work out if the directed method was the same as my usual way – so just did it my way ( attached waistband before finishing waistband’s vertical edges & finally sewing down facing).  If you can sew a skirt with a zip and waistband, then you can easily sew this wonderful skirt.

The braces are fun!  But completely removable.  Lots of buttonholes for adjustment as necessary.  & I may move my front buttons across slightly towards the centre to run down my boobage as opposed to rustling them from their sides.  Look!  Navy anchor sailor buttons!  Thanks Ginger, these lovelies are adding a nautical flair :-)  And pink glitter babies on the inside.

There’s some nice top stitching details on this skirt that I took full advantage of – & it was a boon for sewing up the hem (lots of hem to get around!)  But I used triple stitching on the pockets’ fancy detail.  However, there is something that I don’t like about sewing on this type of fabric – the ridges in the Bedford cord sometimes get pulled out of line by the direction of stitching & didn’t have such a perfect top stitching finish, in my opinion….

As I said I’ve worn it a couple of times now.  It looks lovely with my pink ellie violet blouse (but I did feel a bit school-girl chic was going on there).  It’s super flippy, twirly & swishy …

But it is already in the wash having attracted food splashes from the weekend’s BBQ.  Do you find that you have certain items of clothing that you can bank on will always get spilled on/ splashed/ bleached on first day of wearing?

Looking forward to getting back into more regular blogging & time spent soaking up all your inspirations…but for now au revoir & enjoy your weekend :-)

32 thoughts on “Madeleine by Victory Patterns

1. Donna

I so look forward to your blog posts. You are such a lovely lady. You always fill me with inspiration and make me smile!! :D
    Your skirt is gorgeous, and I love those pockets.
    Hope you have a fabulous sunny weekend. x

Super cute twirly skirt, Winnie. I am loving the braces. I have been eyeing up Victory patterns for a while. BBQ stains are a sign that your me mades are stanind g up to real life and getting worn rather than languishing in the wardrobe!
    Almost all my clothes always attract food stains, but luckily I can blame small children and pretend it’s not me. Have a great weekend. xx

3. IngeMaakt

Haha! I always make stains on new clothes when wearing them for the first time. Store bought and me made, both. I thought I was the only one doing that :o) You’ve made a lovely skirt!

4. Clare S

Thank you for brightening up my Saturday morning – laughed so much at your French photo!!

The skirt is fabulous – I’ve been umming and aaahing about this pattern, too. Yours looks fabulous – I think I’m a similar height to you (perhaps shorter), so I’d have to be careful with the fit, too, or else risk being swamped in skirt! Thanks for the tips on how to work with this pattern. I love the details of yours and your swishy modelling – yay for cord!

You’ve got to get yourself a moustache Winnie, you look fabulous in it! Lovely skirt, especially with the striped tee shirt and I LOVE the pockets! x

This looks great on you and I love the pockets! I’m tempted to make a version for myself without the braces, as they never sit right on me.

Mais oui c’est magnifique ma petite chouette! :D
    Lucky my printer is out of action or my plans might have got diverted this weekend to copy you!
    Lovely lovely lovely and I want one too!

8. Allison

You are composed entirely of awesome. From the topmost hair to the bottomost toe – 100% awesome. I love the first picture. As for the construction – I’m particularly liking the pockets – the swoopyness is great.

9. Shari

Winnie, you are the epitome of having fun with your sewing! From the sparkly inner buttons to the polka dot pocket linings to the Parisian pic that made me laugh out loud. Your new skirt looks wonderfully fun to wear and those are quite substantial pockets! I love the color.

What a great make Winnie, love all the topstitching detail and the braces really suit you (as did the French mustache ;o))!!! I can’t believe you had enough material for this though…but not the shorts!?!

11. Melizza

This skirt is so fun to wear! I love the fabric you chose. I actually bought some chambray to make another and laziness won out and I haven’t made it yet.

As always, I love how fun your photos are!

12. Rochelle New

Oooooo lovely!! I had seen this pattern a while back and loved it, but wasn’t sure how it would wear for everyday. You’ve shown me the light! It’s awesomely wearable! I need one!!

13. MISTIGRI

UN PETIT AIR DE LA FRANCE ! il manque le béret et la baguette !
    perhaps the french touch !
    a very nice skirt !!
    kiss from France !

How cute are you?! I LOVE this on you, and I sort of wrote off the suspenders as a bit cheesy– totally rethinking this now! I’m so glad the buttons have found such a perfect place to call home!

15. Joanne

Sheer brilliance with the Eurotrash pic Winnie – sheer brilliance. You should have Jean paul Gautier and Antoine des Caunes peeking out from behind you. Love your Madeleine skirt – this is a favourite of mine which I’ve been meaning to make for forever. I just wish Victory Patterns would offer paper versions!

16. Tilly

Love it! It has so many awesome features – huge pockets, polka dot lining, glitter buttons… I wish I could pull this off but I don’t think it’d look great on my 5’1″ frame! Really looking forward to seeing you this weekend xx

17. Meg

What a marvelous skirt! I love all of the little details you’ve added – from the pocket lining to the fun glitter buttons – I think it turned out beautifully!

Thank you so much everyone for your lovely comments & even un peu de francais, c’est bon! I’m back on the case now – it was so wonderful to see your comments coming in when I was away. Je vous aime!

19. Wrigglefingers

Hello Winnie,

Lovely skirt and it’s great to see a Victory pattern made up. Would a walking foot and double or even triple needle help with the topstitching, perhaps? I always think that if I’m going to wobble (and I will) it all wobbles together.