You can tell there’s a chill in the air….

It’s true, isn’t it? For all us northern hemisphere peeps thoughts of more cuddle-some makes are to be seen popping up around the blogosphere as there is definitely something of autumn in the air….whether it’s that morning dew that remains on parked cars until the sun raises the temperature, or the smell in the air of damp cooling earth, not to mention the shortening days. So it is not with surprise that I’m thinking of autumn/ winter makes. I’m telling you I have started a sewing wish list and it is huge!!!! Therefore it is still in Evernote, work in progress, to be rationalised. Today I had an energising package arrive from jaycotts ( half price simplicity patterns until later in September to all you uk peeps). First of all, following my bound buttonhole adventures and the satisfaction of checking out other sewsters’ cool sewing kit, I ordered one of these chalk markers….not expensive and most definitely a truly accurate marking tool. Having also seen karen’s success with using wonder tape or steam a seam as she used for facilitating tricksty hems particularly in slippery uncooperative knit fabrics, I popped some in my cart to give a go as well. And pins…..pins…can never have enough.

20120831-110219.jpg

But of most excitement? A few simplicity patterns, funnily enough all project runway ones. I’ll show off the ” no plans yet” couple, which as they we half price and I have seen SO many gorgeous versions of I couldn’t be rude….
Simplicity 2444 ( it has really interesting darts from the waist) and potential for an autumn dress with a stand up roll collar and simplicity 1880 which after sunni’s shirt dress sewalong has produced an awesome volume of inspiration….but what I loved about it? The half placket and the front and back yoke…I sincerely do not have anything like this in my pattern stash…

20120831-110626.jpg

Ok, so those are just additions with no plans ( as yet), but huge excitement to have selected a pattern for some fabric I bought this summer for my coat. Here’s the fabric

20120831-110811.jpg

It’s hand washable which was a surprise, but is nice and cosy feeling with a nice wool content. Woven too, so I can forsee bound buttonholes being interesting
No lining as yet.

I have been on the hunt for a suitable pattern, would have loved to see a vintage 60 s style, but had fixed in my head that I wanted a round collar, knee length, some waist definition but semi fitted. In the end, this came to the fore most readily….
Simplicity 2508

I’ve already drawn my croquis

I don’t think I want the front upper chest flaps like this one here, what do you think?

I am also thinking I’d like to bring in some contrast fabric, possibly…collar? Chunky contrst buttons…Pocket flaps? Cuff bands? OR I could make a detachable fur collar….which might appeal to me. Any ideas?

And on top of this? I’ve also a burning desire to make a minoru …no fabric but at least I have the pattern. I’m thinking jumbo cord for that one.

42 thoughts on “You can tell there’s a chill in the air….

1. Joanne

Great sewing bounty – will pop over for a look at the simplicity patterns. We rarely get a deal here in the UK on patterns so thanks for alerting. I really like your coat fabric – we certainly are on the same wave length (again) with makes! I am intrigued by a detachable fur collar – think that would be divine. With pom pom ties? Gwan!

Once you are in jaycotts system you find they have loads of offers throughout the year across the range of sewing patterns….huge temptation!

And yes! Sewing coat buddies!! You do have that adorable vintage pattern though which I will covet. Me likee idea of Pom Poms with the fur collar!! Looks like that Colette pattern will get brought out again;-)

2. tamsinwp

Hi Winnie, I too have noticed the autumn nip in the air! That material for your coat looks lovely and possibley some teal buttons to pick up the bluey grey in the pattern? I have the minoru too and some appropriate fabric, but my brain is stuck in summer mode!

3. Lizzy

Hi Scruffy :-) I’ve made 2444 & 1880 & Minoru – I loved making them all!!
    I want to make them all over again – and yes the Minoru in cord too!
    Can’t wait to see your creations – with trim of course!

4. shivani

ooo – intersting habby purchases… I might have to investigate the steam a seam and wondertape too!
    and I’ve been thinking along the lines of a jumbo cord Minoru too (I ordered the pattern yesterday!). just a bit stumped on what colour. x

1. shivani

sounds sensible (re waiting to buy) and lovely (re colour). My heart is saying bright red or mustard, my head is saying stick with the neutrals. who will win out?!

5. agirlinwinter

Yes, definitely feels more like autumn. The light in the morning is changing and there’s a definite nip in the air. I love Simplicity 2444, I’ve made two versions and I’m planning many more. It’s going to be a wardrobe staple for me. Look forward to seeing your version!

6. Lindsey

The fabric for your coat is amazing! So much color and texture…looks like it’s going to be so much fun to wear. I think it would look best without the shoulder flaps. The fabric is the focal point and I think the flaps would make it look too busy. But I think with all of the color in the main fabric, you’ve got an excellent opportunity to play with contrast, like with buttons or trim around the collar, pockets, waist tie, and cuff bands. Can’t wait to see it!

1. Karen

I agree, no shoulder flaps. And then finding a good contrast for buttons? The fabric is so amazing, I’m not sure you’d want cuffs, or collar or trim in another color…

Great advice Karen, thank you …it’s useful to have these thoughts to mull over. I am still quite a way from cutting out my muslin let alone the fashion fabric so it’s so helpful hearing views!

7. Sarah

Oooh. I might finally buy Simplicity 2451 after lusting over everyone’s versions so long. And some kind of fabric marker for pattern tracing, I can’t be trusted to pin felt right so I’ve no hope with dressmaking.

8. Bella

Love that coat fabric! LOVE IT! I have a cool 60s coat pattern (so Audrey Hepburn in Charade), but haven’t bought fabric yet or worked up my nerve. But this is the one I want, from mood fabrics: http://www.moodfabrics.com/index.php?file=productdetail&iprod_id=27261&icat_id=2&icatidntr=2&icatidwtr=&icatidwbt=&icatidwnewtr=&icatidwac=&shortdes=&passtype=&vcolor=&vpattern=&vapplication=Outerwear&pricerange=&onsale=&newarrival=&custfav=&closeout=&wholesale=&pagelimit=24&page=1&keyword=&topmatmsvalms=&vbrand='Marc Jacobs’
    And I’m thinking how fun it would be to have a skirt made out of the same fabric, but the other side?!
    Now we all know what happened the last time I tried to copy you, Winnie…uh oh. I can hear my husband shrieking in terror.

1. Bella

I did it, Winnie! I ordered that fabric…6 yards!! Yike-ola! I’ll be watching w/ baited breath to see what happens w/ your gorgeous fabric.

Wowzer – I went to look & for some reason the link didnt work! I hope your other half won’t come after me as a bad influence!! You have had so much learning with your Starlet jacket, I bet the coat will be a logical progression. Maybe I should have done the jacket first …hmm!

Ooh I like your plans Winnie. I’ve recently acquired Simplicity 2444 too, I finally cracked after seeing so many fab versions. I think your coat sketch is lovely, I definitely prefer it without the shoulder flaps, it’s a bit too Inspector Clouseau otherwise! I saw a lovely coat in the James Bond/ Barbican exhibition this week that was similar. It was from Casino Royale and heavily influenced by 1940′s film noir, gorgeous! No cameras allowed so no pic I’m afraid, will send you a link if I find it on google. X

Jane thank you – I think the shoulder flaps are out (which is good, says my inner coward trying to make this as simple as possible!!!)
      Hmm, the Casino Royale coat sounds interesting …..
      Isnt it funny how S.2444 has been popping up all over the place? It’s a pattern I looked at & dismissed quiet a few times, but like you, seeing so many beautiful makes & then noticing the interesting darts won me over :-)

Well, it feels more like autumn in that children started back to school last Monday, but otherwise we are still in the grip of a sub-tropical heat wave. Hurricane Isaac will miss us, but we’ll get the outer bands of rain. So, hot AND humid. I love the fabric for your proposed coat. The first croquis, with that fabric, looks nearly identical to a vintage 1950s coat I once bought. There was no contrast on it at all, just beautiful topstitching. I agree no chest flaps for this make. You might try a solid piping as trim — throw it everywhere, in every seam, along every edge. At that amount of piping yardage, and with this soft woolen, you could even get away with a simple folded bias inserted as trim, with no cording. Easier to sew, much the same effect.

Lin, I like your thinking, & someone suggested a velvet collar in a later comment…I could well be taking the velvet piping route. I’m so glad it reminds you of a vintage coat you had, that means that even though it’s a new pattern it draws upon that vintage look that I wanted to achieve.
      I have been watching the progress of Isaac, can’t imagine what it must feel like to be in a sub tropical heatwave…..

11. Sew Little Time

love love love that coat fabric! and how good are your sketches? i much prefer without the front flappy bits – i’m not a fan. i’ve got a couple of vintage coat patterns but no idea if i have the ability to actually make one. i am still working up to it anyway! i am in dire need of trousers (and still have last year’s coat) so i might focus on them and make a jacket (which i also need). at least it won’t be so much fabric if i make a mess of it!

Oops, sorry to disappoint! They are not my sketches, I wish I could, but I can’t! They are traced from the pattern. I could do with a jacket too, so if for some reason I didn’t buy enough, the fabric will become a jacket (fingers crossed as I have my pattern now!)

Well I am sitting at my desk with my quilted coat on, so I think you must be right about autumn!
    Your coat plans are great – that fabric looks very 1960′s to me. I hope it behaves itself and doesn’t stretch out – it looks like an open weave from here?
    I do not need more patterns so I must not look…!

I think the fabric reminds me of a granny coat if I am honest, the kind that the old lady that used to babysit for me & my brother wore, the kind that would have had leather piping & leather buttons ….Yes, I think it is quite an open weave, thanks for preparing me for the possible stretch issues ….hadn’t thought of that, was too much swooning over old dear fabric ;-)

Oooh, great purchases. I am trying to sew with what I have so need to avoid sales temptation! Love the coat fabric and sketches. I would love to make a coat but it is probably beyond me at present. :)

There is a definite chill in the air these last few days, isn’t there! I’m definitely thinking of autumnal makes – in fact one of them will be a coat. I’ve got some gorgeous grey and blue floral fabric (it’s much nicer than it sounds!) and I’ll hopefully be using Vogue 8548.

I love your coat fabric, and I like the idea of a contrasting colour somewhere, but I’d make it subtle – maybe the underside of the collar?

Thanks Sam, what a great idea …contrasting underside…like it! I’m really enjoying gathering these ideas, thank you ! Your grey / blue sounds fabulous & the Vogue pattern, being so simple will really show it off. Sounds perfect choice.

Your sketches are lovely. I’d say velvet for contrast on the coat – collar and pocket flaps. Bright pink, acid lime, teal, or the dark colour – aubergine? – of the material.

16. didyoumakethat

I had the heating on last night! Just for half an hour, just to take the chill off. Did you draw those yourself, Winnie? So many talented illustrators in the sewing community. I can’t draw to save my life. Don’t show me more patterns!!!!

Oh no! I didnt draw them myself, I’d hate for anyone to think that I’ve that kind of skill ….in the Project Runway patterns you get a croquis to trace, & trace I did – all of the sleeve, collar, pocket etc variations are drawn for you & you just have to jigsaw them together. I used tracing paper cos I am a mega cheat!
      And speaking of chill, I am not quite on the heating, however I am wearing socks to bed & have brought out my winter dressing gown ! ;-) Shhhh! Such glamour!

17. Shari

Love your fabric and being washable makes it all the better. I just bought Simplicity 1759 coat pattern, that I think looks sixties-ish (even though I’m not skilled enough to actually make it yet-but it was at a dollar sale!) I like the croquis (great drawing!) without the flaps. I love the idea of a fur collar. I added a fur collar (using a Colletterie tutorial) to a wool coat I had because the collar was scratchy. Now it feels luxurious.

18. Christine

It was so cold in Aberdeen on Thursday that we had our gloves and hats on! Your coat plans look splendid. (Personally I wouldn’t add the shoulder flaps, I think they take away from the focus on that beautiful rounded collar.)

Ooh, your coat is going to be fab! Can’t wait to see it! I’m interested to hear about your experience making a coat– I love that pattern, but I’m scared to try a coat! Thinking about attempting a Minoru this fall, though…

20. Pingback: Lovely things and lovely plans | Scruffy Badger Time