Hi awesome people! You guys are ace, once again you offered such support / commiserations over my last post & I am so grateful
I have another weekend of enjoying my role as Mum (& awesome potential m-i-l – not literally mind you) so I am not sure what sewing I will get done (depends on how late their lie ins are!!) but I feel some gratuitous ME sewing is due. We shall see. Anyways, the good news? I found enough time each evening to complete the PIG IN A TUTU costume for a special little girl’s birthday present. Hoorah!!
It is Butterick 3051 (apols poor pic)
Here it is ready to be wrapped up & travel
But before it reposed in the box it decided to show off the white dobby Swiss Violet blouse (still with burnt collar)
This is the potential problem with this pattern – I made the XS which I thought would be for a mini mini little person aged 3, (as the special little girl is just *so* tiny), yet I can squeeze into the “hood” (better than saying pig head, don’t you think?). And the size of the costume itself? Well I reckon she would be able to wear full winter coat, the fullest party dress ever, scarf & wellies & still have loads of room)
I made it from pink velour from the Rag Market & it was a dream to sew with my overlocker. It’s got velcro fastenings & is faced with some me-made bias binding. Boy though, that tutu took ages to gather, baste & unpick bastings & gathers.
The “hood” has something called a stay inside, which turns out to be a stuffed “disc” that provides some 3Dness to the top of the head. I used wadding to stuff this & the velour trimmings made from the overlocking to stuff the snout
Check out the cute piggy tail made with a pipe cleaner inside a self fabric tube. It pokes out where the tutu has a gap. This pattern was actually really simple to make. The only changes I made were cosmetic – eg I used buttons for the features, appliqueing white linen for the eyes (the pattern suggested marker pens :-( ). My only issue really is the size – I hope it is wearable (she may of course persuade some larger innocent friend into it!!)
Big thanks Roobeedoo for sending me this pattern from her dwindling fancy dress collection…wish you’d kept it?
You know that “hood is very good for hiding bad/ lazy hair days but a few more Violet shots
I’ve decided to buy some white lace flowers to mask the burnt collar – it will be a kind of permanent lace brooch!! But at least it’s not really visible & I can wear it today…More info on how I made the scallops here.
Wearing it with a white cotton camisole. Oh, the trousers are my Miss Ellie Portfolio trousers that I took up by 1.5″ just this morning before work as I thought it was possibly the length that was the cause of my dissatisfaction. Trouble is, when I tried them on again, my figure has changed enough for them to not fit up top anymore (like the rest of my trousers!) I am swimming in them……not that is shows above, I must have hoiked them up for the picture….however as with all my trousers (except my new red ones) they are not fit to be seen. Good news is that I’ve now got Pants for Real People …a new chapter of sewing trousers begins – well sometime if not right yet.
Have a great weekend all, I hope to catch up with some blog reading too so can’t wait to see what’s been going on