Red cigarette pants for multiple personalities

Ok dudes, I have been aching to show off these red trousers, (I think I’d like to call them “cigarette pants”, I hope they qualify) but the thing is, as well as having my aforementioned distractions from sewing/ blogging & even picture taking they are so successful I am wearing them all the time and that means they’re always scruffy…

Well nearly all the non-work time.   The photos I have taken show them creased & almost covered in pink velour piggy fluffs & sewing threads had I not found the anti cat hair lint roller in time.  So why didn’t I iron them – sorry – what kind of miracle worker do you think I am?  It was all I could do to grab a scant hour in my lunch time to lark around in front of the camera …..see pic below to witness them ironed, just to prove that they do get pressed occasionally….

So I made red trousers and they are now nearly perfect for the current un-summer seasonality we are having – as long as I wear thick socks inside the house (cos I get cold feet!).  But all my pics are outside (apart from the one above) so you won’t catch sight of them, no fear.

These trousers, if you cast your mind way back, are made using the Built By Wendy Sew U trouser (pants) pattern.  I had made it before, but not in fabric with stretch.  This red is such an awesome colour & I’d originally thought of making Clovers, but have been too scarred (or scared) to give that another go.

All the construction was straight forward.  I had issues with the behind fitting, the “under buttock” crease feeling like some kind of arse-sling.  But exposing my concern to the internet allowed some dear commenters to talk sense into me & just live with it.  Afterall, we sewsters I think are more prone to spotting flaws in fit because we think we have it in our power to fix it & make it perfect.  Well, in the case of these trousers, there is nothing I can do to remedy, it’s not that bad, plus being behind me means that I don’t see it.  ha ha ha!

Now you’ll see in the photos that there are creases – but they are generally from wear, not really ill fitting creases, you know the “whiskers” we need to look out for when making trousers.  Boy this fabric creases so easily, despite the lycra, so I have given up ironing it every time I wear them.

The pockets are patchwork, but by the time I cut the legs to the required hem length I think I had more than enough for pockets in the wastage.  I’ve my Ginger Makes anchor as a nod to my nautical wardrobe.  The button is a clear vintage starry one that kind of stood out as the best choice from my button jar.  I also used ribbon on the waistband facing, but never feel I have got the use of this right….whenever I topstitch in the ditch from the right side the stitching line on the facing never follows a perfect course matching the facing’s edge …..

Now, these trousers are not only super comfy with that 3% granny lycra, but they are such a hot colour.  This colour, this burning red, has to be the equivalent of my black.  In my book, red is the new black.  Just look at what it can be paired with, & that’s not including a couple of things in the wash.  Red is awesome!!!

I tell you these trousers can match any mood….. lookee, is this me on a relatively normal day?

(well, judging my my footwear, yep, those turquoise Hush pups are my go-to pair).  OK So they look pretty ace with heels then.  But I wish someone had told me I wasn’t modelling a pig head hood…

But they are also great play trousers too.  Wear them with canvas shoes & they become holiday wear …. Hoorah!  The first & key element of my nautical wardrobe.

The hat? OK, so it used to belong to my boy when he was considerably smaller than I am now.  But I like it!  Note the back shot looks fine, no butt truss when moving around!

Have you ever felt that it is the shoes that determine the outfit?  Here is another pair that are great with these red trews – I got them in a vintage shop in Manchester.  They are lush.  But with these trousers they bring out the bad girl in me.

The one who runs & skulks from the camera.

The sulky girl who if she had belt loops would hook her thumbs in them & jut out a hip as she chewed on gum.

That girl who you just wish would get down from there!

Where next with adventures in trouserland?  Well I bought Pants for Real People plus I have a Palmer/Pletsch pattern that I bought yonks ago – they can work in perfect harmony together.  When the next pair comes I will try to follow their advice.  Plus, rumour has it that there is a most adorable pattern coming from Sewaholic that I might just have to snaffle up….

54 thoughts on “Red cigarette pants for multiple personalities

1. Kerry

Hee hee, great photos as ever – plus the trousers, sorry cigarette pants, look fantastic on you. The fit is great and the colour is gorgeous. Bravo!

2. Lauren

I totally agree that red is the new black – it goes with everything! Even MORE RED. So good!

You know, I made my red cigarette pants out of some kind of similar fabric too. And they also get all creasy & stretched out and ew, no fun. I’ve pointed out the flaws to a bunch of people and it would seem that I am the only one who even notices it. You’re absolutely right – we sewists tend to scrutinize flaws in our clothing waaay more than most people do. And we are the only ones who notice it! It’s best when that stuff stays in the back, though – because, like you said, then the wearer doesn’t have to look at it hahaha

Anyway, I love them & I love your photos, as always! :)

Red rocks! It’s official! I like that it’s not just me that notices flaws ….but I am also a firm believer in “out of sight out of mind” ha ha ha!!
      And thank you :-)

3. Andrea

Totally impressed. I want some! Seems like a great staple garment for a fun and colorful wardrobe like yours. And yeah, I heard the Sewaholic rumor as well and I’m way pumped about it.

I suppose I always wanted to look more cool …because that goes hand in hand with being bad doesn’t it …shame it’s a wig really, I’d love my real hair to be like that.

4. Dibs

I’ve been laughing my head off here looking at those pictures. I love the pants on you. And boy I’m shocked they go with so many things. I saw a picture of the Sewaholic pattern. I don’t think I have ever been this excited about a pattern as I have been about this one. I have not made pants yet for a reason, but I am most confident this pattern will be a good place to start.

Thanks Dibs!! Yes that Sewaholic pattern’s got something highly compulsive about it! I also think it’ll be a good pair to start with, but then, hey, what do I know about trouser patterns “looking easy” ?!

You are a BAAAD bad girl! I like you as sailor girl too though. But I love those trousers more than anything. They’re just glorious (as well as goy-jus) and you look the business in them.
    With regards to red being fabulous and going with everything, well you’re preaching to the converted with that one! xx

6. Joanne

They are fantastic! I love their sassiness. I have Sew U with that very pattern and you are making me want to to get. it. on. Love the colour, love the fit, love the photos.

The pattern’s nice – being quite a low rise there seems to be less to fit badly :-~
      I took it in below the knee making it more narrow legged (more so than the “skinny” mods in the same book actually – you may have to play around to get the leg fit you want)

Eeeeeeeeeeeek! How cute do you look?!?!?! I love these, and I love the many ways you’ve styled them! Red is TOTALLY the new black– it goes with everything, and always looks fresh and fab! Go, Badger, go!

I actually think you look BADDEST with that rope in your hand… :O
    Anyways, the trousers are fantastic. That’s it – you don’t need to go looking for trouble with another pattern cos you have your “go to” one right here – OK? But I know I am wasting my breath and you already pre-ordered the Thurlow pants didn’t you? Sigh!

9. MrsC

Wow. I love them, and I love that they aren’t super tapered/tight down the leg; I love the shape. And wow Red really DOES go with everything! In my wardrobe, it only has to go with purple or black, basically, so I never realised how much else it goes with too :)

Thank you Katy, yes, it shows that I need to make more “useful” clothes … perhaps less dresses & more separates….(whoops, a dress is mid construction at the moment!)

10. Sarah

Fantastic pants! Who new red was so versatile? You may have just inspired me to branch out from my usual blue, blue and blue. Thank-you!

Wowzers Winnie!!! These trousers are amazing, I envy your patience with them, but it has totally paid off! They literally go with everything and I love all the looks you’re rocking!!!

12. Rochelle New

Love, love, love, LOVE! That’s it. I need me a pair. I’ve always been a fan of red, so it only makes sense that I should have red pants. …now I feel sad that I don’t. And yeah, the new sewaholic trousers are cute!!

13. Rehanon

Ah these pictures as always are an absolute triumph! You look fantastic and sew did the duds. I think you should blend things and become bad sailor girl ;-)

14. shivani

oh Winnie – your red trousers are simply amazing! It’s great that they go with so much of your wardrobe. The fit is fab – and that colour is just perfect. yay! :D x

15. linB

Seven or eight years ago, “Pink is the new Black!” Then, “Orange is the new Black!” (I think the fashion headlines should have read “Orange is the new Pink!” in that case. Therefore, “Red is the new Orange!”) Red really works amazingly well as a wardrobe neutral. I like all of the pairings you illustrated so charmingly. My own stalwart pair of scarlet twill pants scarcely spend any time on a hanger — they go from the laundry machine straight onto my body, so soon as they are dry.

16. Susan

Love, love your red trousers! I was going to make some this spring but chickened out in favour of ecru(sounds better than beige). Now I must make some, maybe with sewaholic’s latest.

They are soooooo fab – I want a pair. I donated my RTW red trousers to a swopping party cos they didn’t fit. Your black haired alter ego looks a bit scarey. I think I would hide from her! I do like the BBW trousers to make. xx

18. Lynne

Lol!!! Your photos are fantastic!! And I LOVE your trousers, red rocks, and they go with everything. I see no fitting issues at all, and your pony print shoes are fab. ;)

Hello! Thank you for checking out my blog and my shoes!! I wish I could say these were clovers, as that would mean I had conquered them, but alas, they’re a built by Wendy pattern and I remain defeated by clovers!!

19. Joy

Who’d have thought red trousers were so versatile? I think you’re right – when you’re moving around there are no “fit” wrinkles. They look great!