Thanks everyone for your kind reflections/ observations on my derriere in the last post. It is great to have such a wealth of advice / experience & straight talking sense out there!
Onto the last installment & my reflections on Me Made May 12….
Location: Beaufort Place or something like that at the side of the Theatre Royal (not that you can see it in this pic!) I’m wearing my Lisette Passport dress. No need for cardigan – woo hoo!
Here I am in my “Too old for School” Vintage gingham dress. I am standing on “Bog Island”, a local landmark, a stop for tour buses. But why the name? Well, in the days that I first came to Bath this used to be a night club, the Island Club, but before that? Public toilets. My memories of it as a nightclub? Dark & hot where the condensation used to drip on you from the ceiling, particularly on the dance floor. Nice. I am so out of touch with Bath nightlife that for all I know it is back in use again.
Location – still strictly speaking outside – but kind of in the street where I live. I’m wearing my Swimmers dress (pattern from a Sew Mag) and matching hairband. What was nice about today (as well as seeing my boy for the first time in 5 months) was that someone came up to me in Sainsbury’s & asked me where I got my dress “Er, I made it myself”…after which we had the small conversation about it, sewing & classes. Hopefully she will take it up herself 🙂
Location: the playing fields near my home. I had been to the post office, but realised a photo opp presented itself off site. I’m wearing my sundress, revised New Look 6586.
Location: Parade Gardens in the centre of Bath. This is where I lunch when the sun shines. It’s always a mecca in the sunshine for everyone, & is filled with wonderful floral displays (see parks staff in background removing spent tulips). It’s also beside the River and looks out onto the weir at Pulteney Bridge. Interesting fact, the level of Parade Gardens is apparently the Roman (or is it medieval street level, let’s maybe say it’s the “old” street level). If you look up above my right shoulder you can see current street level is much higher due to centuries of urbanisation …
I’m wearing my first Simplicity 2599 (but I need to go back & edit the original post as the pics have dropped out) and my pin striped meringue skirt.
I’m wearing my polka dot Sewaholic Cambie dress. It was the first time I wore it to work, & boy was it perfect. I think I need to make another ….
I’m wearing my Red hot chilli Ginger skirt and my cowl neck top (Butterick 4132 – it too has an old post with dropped out pictures so I won’t bother linking to it). It’s great having a plain red skirt – I have other things I could wear with it (me mades) that have not even featured this month. This top though could do with being a bit smaller, perhaps at the shoulders so that the under arm is smaller & the cowl drapes a little higher up! Cardigan has me made elbow patches to cover the holes!
I totally failed at joining in with the Flickr fun … technology thwarted me at the start & then I never gained enough momentum. Boo hoo. Sorry for missing you all this time…
How did taking pictures outside my home go?
Well I said I’d try to take at least 66% outside….by my reckoning it was …71% ….woo hoo! However I learnt the following about myself & public picture taking:
- If I am at home I am unlikely to make a special effort to go out even for a Me Made May photo opportunity
- All my public photos were “en route” to where I usually go & I did not go out of my way for glorious backdrops, of which there are many in Bath …
- I found using my mini gorilla tripod indispensable for curling my camera on railings & benches. I did not take my full tripod out at all.
- Benches were a safer option for me – more discreet & quick photos
- I favoured quieter places and quieter times, even taking pics on the way to work before 8am
- I am relieved not to have to take daily pictures in public anymore & my handbag will start to feel lighter again.
- Conclusion: I still get self conscious & like photos on my own terms!
- In terms of clothing:
- Me made cardigans & warm wear are lacking, actually still non existent.
- I wore something different each day with my new red Ginger scoring highest (3 wears), followed by Meringue skirt, floral Renfrew & even my Vintage Vogue jacket, but this was partly due to May spanning several seasons!
- Red is the new black ….
- I wore 12 dresses, 2 of them twice (Red ellies and Red polka dot cowl neck Simplicity 2580)
- I tried on 2 skirts from last year & they are too big (the fit was always loose mind you & I am a combination of more fussy in fit & hurrah, slimmer)
- I have not ironed all month with the very odd exception (should I be admitting to that?) I bet you don’t envy me my ironing pile now!
- Generally I should concentrate on replacing things that are wearing out or are old now – perhaps attempting underwear again, leggings would be useful and also jackets/ cardigans.
How has everyone else enjoyed Me Made May? Any insights?