Red hot chilli: Colette Patterns Ginger skirt

Hurrah!  Pop the corks this post will have links (& many!)  Following all my issues with shockwave/flash crashing in Chrome I have moved across to Firefox & it’s great.  No more problemos & very user friendly for a webnoob like me.  Just thought you’d be glad – no more moaning on that front!  So, sewing it is.  PS The giveawaywayhay post (deliberate typo!) is being penned & just need some photos to launch later it this week, sorry for stringing you along.

Here it is, my second Colette Patterns Ginger skirt.  I had intended it to be a quick & dirty affair making an unlined version using a red linen/ cotton mix, perfect for summer. But then I saw Karen’s holiday Ginger, & saw that she had taken the trouble to line it & thought “Come on Scruffy!  Make an effort!”

I’ve lined my previous Ginger, & found that it could have done with a bit more ease in the lining.  So this time, cutting out the lining I added an extra cm to each side seam to allow for ease of wearing.  I also cut the front on the fold rather than create an additional seam which isn’t needed inside.   Just used gathers to ease the lining to fit at the waistband at the appropriate point in the making up.

I think I’m a bit into petticoats at the moment … look at how I’ve finished it off (& some secret rick rack also! Makes it feel like Christmas!)

The Waistband

This I think deserves a bit of space all to itself.  To avoid the gaping at the top, I referred back to my first Ginger & the alterations I made to it.  Luckily I had transferred these to my pattern pieces & was therefore able to line up & transfer these with the sweetheart waistband that I wanted to make this time.

The top piece is how it is before I made adjustments – the bottom two pieces show the weird wedge I need to take out of this waistband side seams.

** Post edit – please refer to the comment left by Mrs C below to develop this alteration to the next level & make a rounded waistband translating the adjustment evenly across the pieces – it’s a good read!! **

It was weird sewing it though – it seems counter intuitive seeing the angle that the three pieces make when sewn up together.  But it worked, it fits my clearly counter intuitive body shape.

So, to detour again from the “quick & dirty” I felt obliged to add some detailing, to invest some more love into this skirt.  It was worth it I think.  I cut some strips of the skirt fabric on the bias & made piping.  Nothing too obvious, as this skirt is going to be a basic colour blocker, but the piping just makes me feel it is a bit more special.

Since reading Roobeedoo’s note that the waistband in this version can wrinkle I wasn’t sure what I was going to do.  My interfacing, although medium, had already ironed on a bit awkwardly & therefore became my waistband facing (oh, I wasn’t going to admit to that!)  I didn’t want to risk it on the waistband proper in case it ironed on all gunkily again.  All through the construction the need for stiffness (stop sniggering) was niggling me.  Was I going to risk the quality of the skirt for lack of thought & effort?  My fix in the end was to create a template of the space inside the stitching, ie the finished waistband & create a buckram duplicate in the hope that it keeps it standing up right.  It seems to be OK…. but makes a crinkly noise when you move around sitting!

My invisible zip went in fine, piping just about even both sides if you squint.  It’s just the top didn’t finish as neatly as it could, but looks like a design feature.  Perhaps it is because of the piping.

I think this is going to be useful.  I’ve already discovered LOADS of tops that it goes nicely with & today I wore it with my Vintage Vogue jacket no less (it’ll appear in a Me Made May roundup)

Worn here with an old New Look 6808 top in linen…

The perils of long damp grass of a morning ….

49 thoughts on “Red hot chilli: Colette Patterns Ginger skirt

1. Katy

This is so cute! I remember doing a weird adjustment to the waistband like this on my pencil skirt. I’ll keep it in mind when I come to do my Ginger!

2. Sue

Umm? this is ADORABLE! I love it in red with the shaped waistband. It looks perfect on and the piping is a great, subtle touch. Nice work. :)

3. Mela

Oh wow! I love the lining. And the piping. I love how you’ve styled it with the boat neck top. Reminder to self: use piping and cute lining for next Ginger.

It’s funny Mela that I do fewer “just finish” speed makes these days as it is the details that give me more satisfaction in the end. That’s a note to myself!

4. Lauren

So pretty! I’ve been meaning to make this skirt up in a solid color (red, no less!) but haven’t gotten around to it yet in favor of more colorful options. I just love the look of the matching piping – it’s subtle, but really makes the skirt look so so nice!

Oh, and I LOVE the lace+hidden ricrac on the lining!

5. agirlinwinter

Thank you for the photos and explanation of how you altered the waistband. I think we have a similarly counter-intuitive waist shape :-) Loving the Morrissey t-shirt – I have a few of those myself!

Woohoo for Morrissey t-shirts! You need to check out Mrs C’s comment – it explains the proper way to alter this waistband for counter intuitive waists like ours!!

Lovely – a real “staple”! Buckram you say? I thought that was for making blinis ;)
    And thank you for the “details maketh the skirt” note. I need to slow down too – it’s not a race!

7. MrsC

Winnie I love this skirt on you! The piping is fabulous feature. And good idea about the buckram too
    About your waistband fit. The pattern is meant to sit higher on the waist, where there is less “slopage”, and I like how you have done it for your shape, I think it sitting so high would not look as good. But to counteract the oddly sharp angles, you can ‘feed’ that diff through the whole pattern piece instead of loading it off the side. To do this you would shape the waistband in a slightly circular way, which would be easy to do, by folding a couple of darts into the waistband shape equivalent to the bit off the end, and drawing around the result, then smoooothing it out :).
    Because yours sits lower, it won’t want to crease so much because it won’t be subject to the waist buckling, and the buckram will keep the lovely scallopy bits sitting nicely.
    Gorgeous, a woman made to wear red!! :)

Mrs C can I thank you for leaving such a comprehensive comment explaining how I could have altered this waistband properly! You know I am interested in learning about proper drafting, so a huge thank you. I am blown away by it – so makes sense & have been working it through in my head – I will alter my post to draw attention to your advice.

8. kbenco

Such a gorgeous skirt. I love the petticoat lining, and the fit is terrific.
    When I have that nice but slighty inadvertant design feature at the top of a zip, if it doesn’t look quite as appropriate a feature as in your skirt, I make a button tab from the fashion fabric for the inside – this fills in the gap nicely without involving seam rippers and muttering, and has the added advantage of taking any strain from the top of the zip. I found this cool idea from http://quiltsewsewsue.blogspot.com.au/2009/06/burda-wof-01-2009-112-skirt-part-1.html and thought it really clever – and she also shows how to put boning in the waistband for anti wrinkling purposes. Of course this is unsolicited information and I apologize if it is rather annoying.

I like your pizza oven – ours is rendered for heat insulation and I was wondering about your nice brick finish – do you have a double layer of bricks in there, or do you not use insulation?

Thank you for the idea, yep, like you say a button tab would be a nice design feature …good idea – I’ve checked out the link & have used boning for some high waisted shorts I have made before – that would have been a great idea too. Thank you for taking the time to seek the link out.

And as for the Pizza oven – it has a double layer of bricks with 7″ of insulation in between the two layers. Interesting that you’ve got one too! We are looking forward to a summer of outdoor cooking!!

9. Sherry

Awesome – I love a good red skirt, and one with piping is even better! I’ve found red skirts a really good wardrobe item ‘cos they go with so much!

10. eiremerald

I am so jealous of your red and aqua Freya Hush Puppies. I’ve been looking all over to order some to be shipped to me here in the US, and I cannot for the life of me find any in my size. The US site is mostly geriatric shoes for some odd, unexplainable reason. Alas and alack.

Ah Winnie, you look so lovely in red. I love this skirt and all its perfect finishing touches – but I do have a soft spot for a nice red Ginger skirt! The fit is perfect too, you look goy-jus in it. While I’m on a roll…. when you and Gary met, it was Moy-Da! x

Winnie, you’ve totally made a reversible Ginger! I would so wear it inside out as well, what a sweet lining and the piping…divine! You’re going to get so much wear out of this gorgeous skirt. Also, I adore your linen blouse, so much so that I’m tempted to pop to the shop at lunch time and buy that pattern!

13. Sigrid

Love it. I have just done some edits to Ginger waistband as well for gappage, but have yet to test them. Your version seems to fit perfectly and the piping is divine!

14. clare

Love it, I have just had my giner pattern pop through the door and have some bright red gaberdine waiting to be cut into – scary! I tried a beignet last month and it went badly wrong (tits up actually).
    You’ve inspired me to have faith and try.

You look cute, cute, cute

Awww, thank you. I’d say go for it – there is more simple sewing with the Ginger than the Beignet, plus fewer seams = simpler too! It could be the confidence booster you need ….

Too bad you already have an alternate identity, ‘cuz “Secret Rickrick” would be an awesome professional wrestling nickname. (Rickname?)

16. Alessa

Great skirt! The colour looks wonderful on you and I love all the details – your waistband will never crease, ever! :D Love the petticoat finish, too!

Oooh, thank you Alessa. The petticoat is working out to be better than I expected actually in a practical sense – I thought it would stick to tights, but perhaps using more expensive lawn is proving to be a worthwhile investment :-) And pretty :-)

17. Amanda

Dude. Love this skirt, and want it!!! Even more LOVE the way you hemmed the petticoat… lace AND rickrack???? So perfect!!!! :D

And the same-colour piping? GORGEOUS and soooo classy – adore adore :)

18. shivani

this is seriously cute – love it! that petticoat is just too lovely and so you! The fit is amazing – thanks for the tip re the waistband. :)

19. Joy

Well, you could wear it inside out because the inside is so cute, too. The piping is so nice, it’s well worth the effort (can I say that even though I’ve never piped anything…yet?).