Sewing plans: going where the energy is

If this is what being organised is, I’m afraid I favour ignorant mayhem, although I am pleased to say I was able to locate the fabric for my PJ bloomers (stand down Samaritans!)  I have been reviewing my sewing plans & have come to the conclusion that they are “unrealistic”.

This is my humungous pile of “sew me soon” fabrics (I count 15).  This is the manifestation of fantasy.  How on earth am I going to find time to make all of these up?

So, in writing about them I shall use this post to go where my energy is & that will be how I can prioritise, good idea, right?  (I have to apologise also that for some reason I can’t add hyperlinks in this post which is a shame as I reference other peeps’ blogs as well as some of my past makes.  I just don’t understand….but never mind).  Let’s begin.  You do not win a prize for identifying my Spring/ Summer colour palette amongst this pile.  There is a serious tendency for red, white & navy with a splash of teal thrown in for good measure.  Oh did I laugh when the realisation hit me that I shall be most decidedly patriotic for the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee.  All very deliberate you understand?!! ;-)

So what am I trying to achieve with this bright bundle?  I’d like to perk up my spring work wardrobe, as well as adding some life & some smells of the sea to my casual wardrobe.  There is unlikely to be very much cross over between the two – I cannot see myself turning up to work styled a la marin festooned with stripes and anchors.  For work I am thinking dresses, skirts & tops, all of which can be non-work wear too, should I so chose to posh myself up a bit.

First up will be a red linen mix Colette Patterns Ginger, I plan to make the cupid bow waistband variety.  I may throw in some piping or rick rack, but am also thinking (for once) I might keep it plain.   This will be a great mixer & I shall not line it either, so I am anticipating a more speedy make. (Score!!)

More linen– I have a bare metre of teal linen mix that I shall either make into a skirt Simplicity 2451 -( you know the skirt favoured by Zoe) or if I have enough to squeeze it, the Cynthia Rowley short sleeved jacket, Simplicity 2443.

The eagle eyed amongst you may have spied where some of my iPhone buy-back money was diverted – yay!  More ellies!  I couldn’t bear the thought of Ditto running out & so feverishly bought a few more instalments – this time for some dress lengths.  Oh I know.  Talk about over the top!  But I just couldn’t help myself.  What do you think?  I want to make the red into a shirt dress, maybe the full skirted Lisette Traveller, or else my Vintage shirt dresses (remember my “too old for school vintage gingham dress”).  As for the navy (it is very dark) I had thought to make it into this wonderful pattern with 3/4 sleeves but it also has a cute detachable collar & bow that I won from the Hectic Eclectic during the Sew Grateful week.   But I would need to get speedy on this as I see it as a Spring make- you know the time of year when you are weaning yourself out of your cardigan.

Speaking of dresses, there is also some gorgeous fabric that Debbie from Minnado’s House kindly sent me from her legendry fabric bountifulness.  Wonderful drapey navy with spriggy flowers on it.  Yes, it could very much be a blouse, but I also see it as a wonderful dress (40s stylee?)  & as Debbie suggested with red buttons.  I am going to see if I can squeeze this vintage pattern out of it.  Wish me luck!

Next, a taster for where my thoughts are regarding my nautical wardrobe.  ONE day (soon I hope) we shall go on a sailing holiday.  Even if Gary stubbornly leaves his bell bottoms & Jean Paul Gaultier extra tight t-shirt & pipe at home I want to kitsch it up & look the part.  It’s all stripes & brights for me.  These following items are supposed to complement & supplement other things I have already made.  (Sidebar – I was thinking of using Pinterest to develop images for planning this holiday wardrobe..could work, no?)

First of all I want a successful pair of red trousers.  You hear me sewing Gods?  I don’t want any more hassle.  By the way can I say that I’m so grateful to all the sympathetic & helpful comments you’ve left in comments to my photo story ex-Clovers.  I am quite stunned by the links & tips & guides you’ve taken the effort to send me.  Big thank you :-)  I shall go & look at them all before even getting close to cutting out my next  pair (promise).  But I want to make some tapered red trousers using my Built By Wendy pattern (seemed to work OK last time on my piped linen trousers) & Clover style legs.  I have some bright red fabric & it has some stretch in it, as I was originally planning to Clover it.  The nautical element might be understated and extend to notions.

But now for some overt “hello sailor”.  Come on over for  some vintage delight.  Time to get excited.

Ding dong! Check out the sailor shorts & trousers- this pattern was my gem from the Crafters’ Ceilidh pattern swap, donated by Debi herself I think.  I have some white fabric  to make shorts, & some denim for some trousers (leg style to be determined).  All have stretch – I kind of went on a fabric-with-stretch buying bingo, at the time believing in the achievability of Clovers for me.  But I’m sure it will result in more comfort for this ol’ gal in whatever it becomes.  Maybe it will enable longer periods of time not in PJs?!!

I also have some wonderful horiziontally striped cotton, bought in Edinburgh.  This I imagine as a kimono sleeved 60s style top, button back with a little stand up collar perhaps.  This will be my first design in Miss P’s Draftalong…

And sailor-wear would not be complete without some striped jerseys to make a red/white cap sleeved t-shirt plus a Breton style long sleeved top.

And finally for this instalment at least I just had to show you this cuteness…I’m not saying it is a priority.  But putting it together has made me coo.

A tangential foray into sand & sea – outside of the main colour palette, but included as it is seaside related!!  This will be a full pleated skirt with a border along the bottom with this stripey yellow shirting.  The floral fabric just happens to be the same tone of yellow…..

Now as for the other things I need to make, presents for friends, fancy dress presents for kids …..it’s shivering me timbers!

Sorry again to everyone I cannot link to today :-(  If only there was an instant way to understand html that didn’t eat into sewing time …..hopefully it’ll be fixed by the next time I post.  Bye for now one & all

47 thoughts on “Sewing plans: going where the energy is

1. Andrea

I think you and I are going to be quite matchy this spring! A lot of what I’ve made and am making seem to be red, blue and/or some white or neutral as well. At least you have a cohesive plan… I just seem to “accidentally” buy these colors and then wonder why my blog’s Project Gallery page looks like a spirited Independence Day parade. Can’t wait to see your makes.

2. rachel( House of Pinheiro)

15.. wowww thats a lot of projects to be! I love the patterns you have in mind and some of them are on my list too. xx

3. Portia

Phew!! I’m exhausted just reading this! Ambitious plans but if anyone can achieve it, I’m sure YOU can :)
    I’ve just finished the drafting of my first top and hope to have step by step photos (and finished garment) up by the weekend. I haven’t added the button back yet, but once I’ve sewn this one up, I was gonna try a timesaving “faux” button back first to gauge whether or not I like the look. I’m thinking “timesaving” might be right up your alley with that workload!
    If you get a chance, email me with details of the collar style you’re looking at and I’ll see if I can find some relevant drafting instructions :)
    Px

Miss P, you are spot on! I like the sound of time saving! I have something taking forever to pin on pinterest that I will email you tomorrow. I think it’s a “roll collar” – sort of stands up but from a wide shallow neckline. Trust me to be awkward !

4. Tanit-Isis

oh, fun! I love the idea of a red elephant shirtdress. :) And I am very jealous of your striped knits.

I should do a post like this, I keep bouncing from idea to idea without being able to settle on one. :)

5. Allison

hahahah I’m right there with you. I have about five going right now and I have no idea how many planned. I can’t count. That would be terrifying. Personally, I think throwing realism out the window and just enjoying oneself makes the whole thing far less stressful and much more fun. (And I *love* the elephants. Can’t wait to see them all made up.)

Absolutely Allison- I know that if I have a strict plan I’m bound to bring in some off roaders. I think that’s why I have so much fabric to make up – it’s all ideas, but not planned! At least putting them together shows there is some colour discipline going on (that’s relatively new for me!)

6. Debi

Yipppeeee! I love sewing plans! Who cares if they are realistic? Sometimes the creative planning process is a bit of a mojo-booster. I adore your plans for the elephant fabric (LOVE) and YAY! for the Sailor trousers!!! woot! woot! Those will be fabulous!

7. Sølvi

Oh, your plans are som inspiring and exciting! My plans this spring are on the red/white/navy side too, so we´ll cyber match. That´s something! ;-) Good luck on the sewing, I am loving the shirtdresses, and the seaside fabric as well. Too cute!

8. Joanne @ SewLittleTime

My summer palette (which I just finished the moodboard for yesterday and haven’t yet written the blog post about!) is almost the same and i have a lot of similar ideas! spooky! I’ll definitely be keeping an eye on how your plans are coming along – much faster than mine i am sure as i’m still very much a beginner!

What plans Winnie! Red trousers sound eminently desirable. I have had some success with the BBW trouser block too so definitely think you should do that. I love the pattern picture of those 60s nautical girls. I can already see Gary in a JP gaultier sailor outfit! Or how about Frank Sinatra and Gene Kelly’s sailor outfits from a film, I think it’s called “On the town”?? I am glad you like the floral drapey stuff, there is a limit to how much fabric I can hang on to thinking “one day…” I am hoping to cut out my own traveller dress before too long…xx

What a great idea! Sew Gary a fabtastic nautical outfit too!!! He is desperate for clothes, he might be so desperate he’d accept anything (& he does have a thing for the Gene/Frank films! Will have to look it up on Lovefilm)
      Yes I am veering towards the traveller for the red ellies ….

Hi Mrs C, that could be a good idea. I have seen quite a few people referencing Steph’s trouser block….and do follow. Such a great help for sewsters. I shall revisit my Built by Wendy to see if it was a fluke the last time, or whether it really does fit me a second time!

Oh wow – I love that nautical trouser pattern! And the elephants (of course!). I think I would give myself a panic attack if I planned that far ahead. In my world, that looks like 6 months-worth of sewing, and by then it’s winter again!
    I wish I knew what an i-phone buyback was…?!

That is so true Roo, I know I could sew it all, but in what timescale? By the time the sundresses & strappy items are finished, the season’s potentially disappeared! So, the IPhone buy back was the money I got for selling my 2 year+ iPhone back when I updated my contract (with a cheaper one. Win win in my book!)

AAArgh, matey! Them red pants may attract pirates, argh, argh, so watch yourself. I advise you to take a large chunk of time to cut out all your projects, then railroad all of them that use the same color thread through the machine at the same time. Press all the little bits at the same time, run the next load of seams through, etc. The difference in garment pieces will keep you interested enough to keep stitching; the projects all finish at about the same time so you will have all your coordinated outfits done at once. No orphans.

You are so full of great ideas LinB. I may not follow it straight away as I think I have to concentrate on just one dress, but for the other items, I think I may try it out. Genius

12. sigrid

I think almost all sewing projections are unrealistic. Yes, it is scary when your “Must sew immediately” pile is sky high. But when elephant and striped fabrics are involved, what can one do? In this case, I think your idea of sewing for a vacation on a yacht is very practical.

My goodness woman! These plans sound both exhilarating and exhausting at the same time! I totally love all your projects/patterns and your fabric choices are to die for…totally up my street!

Also, do I spy some white swiss dot in your pile….where is that from please? I’ve been looking all over the place for some, but it seems hard to find!

Marie – just butting in to say I know two UK places to buy swiss dot: Eternal Maker and Abakhan. The first is more expensive per metre but the postage is muich cheaper ;)

14. Amanda

Oh how I love planning and lists… even when they’re not mine LOL. Sadly, mine too were completely out of control; I had myself making close to 10 garments over the spring and another dozen or so for summer – yeah right! LOL

I think your plans are delightful, and very “you”! :) Happy sewing! :D

Thank you Amanda – yes starting this particular plan had a danger of being overwhelming! I think plans are OK if you don’t force yourself to keep them. They can be a “guide” & help you when you have some time to know what you’d like to make, instead of wasting that sewing time thinking about what to do (that has been my downfall more times than I can count!!)
      Good luck with your Spring/ Summer sewing too :-)

15. rachel

ha ha “the manifestation of fantasy”; we all inhabit that sphere from time to time (or 90% of the time for me!!).

I *LOVE* those shorts. Please make them first. The pattern envelope fills me with an odd sense of happiness and fun. Love it!

Yes, they do feel fun don’t they!! I’ve some white cotton to make them in. However have you seen the weather outside? They may be pushed a little back down the queue !!

16. Karen

Ahoy, Matie! Lovely fabrics…you seem to complete projects sooo quickly, I have no doubt most of these will be made up by summer’s end. Thanks for sharing your plans; very inspiring!

17. Tamsin W-P

That’s some organization, Mrs! I have too, too many things whizzing round in my head, may be I should sort out my thoughts and jot them down too. I wrote a rough list back in November – I haven’t dared check what I’ve sewn against the list – could be disappointing…

18. Pingback: Trousers sewing and fitting issuesScruffy Badger Time