V8667 in knit: a very grown up dress for work

A long long time ago I saw Jessica’s version of V8667 here.  Not only did I fall head over heels in love with her interpetation (leopard print!) but the styling & the designs on the pattern envelope fulfilled my inner cowl obsession.   I had a yearning to follow Jessica’s lead & make it out of a knit.  But way back then, I was really green when it came to knits and what could be made into what (now I am pale green as opposed to deep forest green).  So I emailed Jessica asking for advice and she was kind enough to reply – a stable knit is required.  You don’t want anything with too much stretch in all sorts of unpredictable directions.  This dress has a certain amount of structure.  Jessica, thank you for your reply all those moons ago.  I didn’t forget & eventually purchased some very reasonable doubleknit (synthetic) from Croft Mill.  It is navy striped, but looks grey from a distance.  When I came to work with it I was surprised that the stripe is horizontal.  Well, that’s unusual.

It was a toss up between V8667 and New Look 6000 mind you.  Which one, which one?  Either way I was relishing the opportunity of making one of these dresses without a zip!  Or facings!!!!

doubleknit4

At the end of the day I opted for the Vogue since I had enough fabric to make a full skirted dress.  It was made without lining, facings or a zip- woo hoo!!!!  And I have worn it a couple of times now & it is a wonderful work dress – stylish but very comfy, & we all know that I likes my comfort.  (Can I say how much I love the cowl neck?  Peachy!)

I used my overlocker throughout where I could, which was most of the construction.  I stay stitched the neckline and the prescribed areas on the princess seam panels.  To solve the sleeve hemming issue I used ric rac (two-tone navy & white) to catch a narrow hem.

(Yay!  Ric rac ziggazigga world domination continues)

doubleknit 1

What hasn’t worked so well – perhaps I should have done a swayback alteration.  Also the side panels seemed to have just too much fabric & ruffle a bit on the side front seam.  But I work from the principle that where possible “a serged seam is forever, not just for Christmas” – no way do I unpick & fiddle where there is significantly less seam allowance than when I started.  Tough.  Anyway, both of these issues remedy themselves with a good pull downwards on the skirt - obviously not done before this photo shoot!

doubleknit2

Working with this fabric was hardest pressing the seams – I had to use a damp pressing cloth, no crisp seams here.  But this is karmic – I guess no ironing & no creasing when I wear it!  Does anyone have any tips on sewing such synthetics?  I don’t usually choose them so have such  miniscule experience – maybe I’m missing something…..

36 thoughts on “V8667 in knit: a very grown up dress for work

1. Amanda

very pretty! I love the princess seams :) Comfy is great but when you manage to pull off looking great AND being comfy you know you done good lol :)

Love this! I’ve not had any experience with double knit, so I can’t offer any advice. But I can tell you how much I love this dress, the neckline is very cool, as is your belt! And you have such a cheeky face in your pictures, it really makes me smile ;o)

3. Lauren

Oh oh oh! I actually have this pattern but I’ve never made it up (tossed aside in favor of whatever is shiny & new that pattern season). I think your dress just reminded me why I bought it in the first place. It DOES look comfy! But not going-to-Walmart-in-mah-sweatpants comfy. You still look classy as shit. Best of both worlds!

Grew up down the road from one of the original double-knit factories (in the early 1970s). You will not be able to press this stuff with anything like good results. Best way — possibly only way — to achieve a sharp crease is to stitch it down. If you don’t like the sporty look of top-stitched seams, hems, creases, pleats, you’ll have to settle for a softly rounded look. Or melted fabric … sewist’s choice!
    Our school chorus uniforms were invariably sewn of this wears-like-iron fabric. Teachers would buy bolts of 100s of yards of double knit, then either cut it apart to sell to us, or consign it to the closest fabric store for us to buy there. They warned fabric stores all over the town to stock many copies of whichever pattern was to be the singers’ uniform for the year.

That’s interesting! I hadn’t thought of stitching down the crease but have a mental image of it now & I don’t think that’s the look I want! Thoughts veer towards polyester trousers with the stitched permanent crease!
      It sounds as if you have fond memories of institutionalised double knit! Hoorah for the 70s!

5. Sigrid

This is a very flattering dress, and so comfortable looking! Sometimes a princess-seamed dress can look a little dated, but I think that the cowl totally changes the feeling. I don’t have any advice on synthetics, except maybe to dampen the seams and then use a pressing cloth under the iron.

6. Magpie Mimi

I like the colour of this dress and the cowl neck too. It’s one of those colours that will work well with bright cardi’s and tights and jewellery so I’m sold!

I likes it Winnie. Smart and comfy? A win win situation. You are converting me cowl necks. The shape suits you too. have a good weekend. xx

Very work-posh indeed! Not sure why you would need to press seams that were sergered (serged?) as presumably they are very narrow, but the general instruction I found in Pattern Runway instructions was to “press towards the back”, so all seams go together as a pair. I would be doing it under a damp cloth with a warm iron. But I don’t have a serger so maybe I don’t understand.
    Great dress! FAB ric rac domination!!!

Thank you for looking up for me! I suppose I just want the seams to lie flat & the hem to look pressed – especially those pesky princess seams – only the fabric doesn’t like being ironed. The damp cloth was all I could think of too.

9. Ali

So flattering and professional! And I bet it feels super comfy too. It looks lovely paired with the belt and cardigan. I’m all about that: basic lovely pieces that get punched up by accessories!

10. Amy

That looks so great. That cowl! It’s a perfect work dress – super stylish! I bought this pattern after seeing Karen’s purple version, but somehow didn’t get any further with it… you’ve definitely inspired me to make a version.

11. Amy

Wow, super stylish! Perfect work dress. And that cowl! I’ve had this pattern in the stash since seeing Karen’s purple one, but somehow never got anywhere with it… you’ve definitely inspired me to make a version!

12. Pingback: At last, my V8667 has come along… | Diana & Me