Sunny outdoor crafting

So we’ve had unseasonably brilliant weather & despite being an outdoor sewster (installing sewing machine outside on the garden table), I’m at cutting stage which is clearly nigh on impossible outside.  Plus it’s really too warm for more navy clover pants fitting, I mean do you really expect me to squeeze my hot bod into those too-skinny leggies of corduroy?  Thank you.  They are at a point though I should say.  Progress has been made.  The decision on whether they remain below knee length has not yet been taken however.  But, enough of the now ex-hammer pants (or poop pants as they were also called!), this is for once not about sewing.

The weather has been really too gorgeous to be tucked away in the attic room cutting.  Therefore, having been very industrious earlier at getting the garden to rights, it felt like a brilliant opportunity to try some more portable crafts.  When I went to Penzance in January, I happened across a wonderful craft shop called Iriss  crafts & came away with a couple of kits (it seemed like the speediest way to chose  since I had men decorating the pavement waiting patiently for me outside).

If any of you saw Kirsty’s Handmade series, you may also have been captivated by the shows that featured needlefelting.    Here’s the how to make a sweet shrug by felting an old cardigan & decorating with needlefelting.  And look here is a needlefelted Robin, more akin to what I’ve made, yes, Iriss Crafts has kits for starting to needlefelt & I chose a cute birdie.

You start out by using a template for making your shape out of woolly fleece & stabbing the  special felting needle loads & loads of times through the fleece into the foam it sits on.

“Take that, & that, & how about some more!”

That’s a dark body in the shape being stabbed (great for acting out any pent up aggression, let me tell you!) & the wing underneath.  You basically keep stabbing it, then turn it over & give the other side the needle treatment too & keep going until it’s nice & felty.  Then you can embellish & blend other colours into it, stabbing away in the same way as before.

I’ve added his wing & some other colours.  Nearly done.  The kit also came with some beads & some metallic thread & a brooch pin.  Here’s my birdie …

I don’t know what it is, but he’s got a really creature vibe to him…despite being pincushioned so evilly.  I bought more fleece, so can experiment a bit now I kind of know what I’m supposed to be doing.  Give it a go if you can, it’s SO satisfying.

I was in the mood for some more outdoor crafting, & sadly so far this year have not kept to my new year’s intention of making some jewellery once a month, which is a shame since that used to be my obsession.  So today I got my kit & caboodle out & made a few bits.

It’s not that fancy, but will be useful.  It’s made from shell & vintage style wire.  Then I got my crazy designer head on & created these earrings

Very much “holiday wear” & I think the most OTT jewellery I’ve made to date.  I had this thing about making jewellery with silk flowers.  It’s a bit tricky as the cheap kinds like this, are mounted on tough plastic that you have to make holes in.  But being an accomplished needle wielder, I got there in the end.  Puts these next babies in the shade somewhat.

A shame the photo hasn’t come out brilliantly…outside photography on a smartphone.  Anyway, they’re cloisonne fishies with trails of swarovski crystals.    I think this makes me up to date with my new year’s intention now.  I also managed to get some knitting in & I was therefore a fully occupied garden crafter.  What about you, apart from gardening what do you take to make in the glorious outdoors?

And by the way I am saving my OWOP outfits for a post at the end of the week to show the versatility of my 3 violet blouses ….

23 thoughts on “Sunny outdoor crafting

1. Sigrid

Sometimes its good to switch gears for awhile and do some unplugged needlework. I think that shell and the wire necklace is going to look divine with your Violets.

2. sigrid

Sometimes its good to shift gears and do a little unplugged crafting. And look what you got done in a relatively short amount of time! That shell necklace is going to look fab with your violets!

3. Allison

I wish I could get outside — It was lovely and warm all week, then come the weekend the temperature dropped 30 degrees (F) and it settled into a misty drizzly rain. Horrau for outside crafting!

That’s a pain, & what usually happens to us it seems – nice while you have to remain cooped up at work, then the weather changes for the weekend. Hope you get some better stuff soon when you can enjoy it

4. Rachel

The hexagon necklace is lovely and I’m sure you could get away with the flowers on a sunny day in Bath!

Today was warm and sunny here too so I washed and dried three loads of clothes on the line and whilst I was in the garden I wove in the ends of our rather bonkers self-seeded willow which Mr G accidentally pollarded two years ago. The numerous long whippy branches are very bendable just now so I’ve encouraged them to entwine horizontally rather than reach for the sky in the style of a mad-haired scientist.

~Lovely stuff Winnie. It is weird but I cannot do needlefelt – the textures put my teeth on edge. A lot. Seriously. I shall admire from a distance! Love the shell necklace and holiday earrings. I spent yesterday at a 5 year old’s party, watching a female clown and eating chocolate chip cookies. :)

Ha ha! Sounds a great way to spend the afternoon & being fed choc chip cookies makes it even better. I know someone who has that same reaction to touching cotton wool…. it freaks them out. Funny isn’t it what winds us up

6. Debi

here’s to some outdoor crafting! I love it!!! I haven’t tried needle felting but it looks fun (and a great way to get out any frustration…lol.) Your birdie is fabulous!

Thanks Solvi! This weather is a perfect start to Spring, so good for the soul. It makes me feel so optimistic I even reckon my birdie can sing! (There I’ve really lost the plot now)

Alex, I know what you mean about wasps! Luckily I only spied one, but it only had to buzz near me for me to shoot up from where I was sitting & all those mini beads to be lost all in the paving….Fortunately, the one I spied just freaked me out later in the day, once the beading had been finished!

First things first– a garden sewing table?!?!?!?!?! Brilliant! You’re a genius!

Second– your crafting is super cool and fun! Me gustan!

Well, the table’s a bit rough and ready and certainly not suitable for working with delicate fabrics, and I don’t know what the neighbours think about the noise….!
      But thank you ginger :-)