It’s Victory for the Hazel dress

I have to blame Law. Kind of around Christmas/ new year following a bit of a buzz about Victory patterns in a fair few blogs, Law highlighted a special offer (now over) which led me down the path of temptation, resulting in buying three awesome quirky and what appear to be very wearable styles. I was most taken by Hazel, a shift dress with a gorgeous bow tie neck that is constructed in two colours.

I’d already started to dream about the Victory Patterns Hazel dress when Tilly tweeted about it asking what thoughts were out there for colour combos.  Well.  That fired me up right & proper.  In my mind it seemed to cry out to be made out of jersey, and the fact that it was made out of two colours allowed more scope for stash busting! And I had just something in mind.  Woo hoo! Enter stashbadger!  What a start to 2012 – using something from within my fabric drawers (ooo er, sounds a bit Carry On!).

20120120-180609.jpg

Sorry crappy evening iPhone picture!  As you can see I chose a grey / turquoise colourway and just about eeked it all out of what I had in my stash. The only time I went off road was with the tie neck – it takes quite a few long pieces of fabric (x4) and is supposed to be made in a solid colour not two tone like mine! But I didn’t have enough.  Ideally it would be turquoise.  Ideally I’d also have sewn the turquoise side on the top, but had thought (upon studying Hazel images on the website) that the collar would fold over (as attempted above).  In truth it’s better not folded over (as you’ll see from the pics below) – it’s much happier sitting unfolded.  But that means I have a grey tie, not a turquoise one.

Shape?  I needed to shape it a bit more at the waist as it was trop sac for me. (It’s still sacklike, but in a shift-dress-way & that can be quite desirable when feeling blobby). (NB  this is made out of jersey – the pattern is designed for woven fabric and is pull on – you’d need to make sure you can still get it on & off if you make any shaping alterations, as Kristiann (the designer) says in the comments)

But I did it. That is I made it from jersey. With my overlocker ( apart from just a little bit of straight stitching around the front neck opening) & the hem (which also doesn’t look perfect as I look at the pictures, but hey ho).  The pattern is designed to have a skirt lining, but being stretch fabric I missed it out & made a (garish) silky slip instead (with yellow lace on the rest of that turquoise sari fabric).

Tips for jersey & using this pattern & an overlocker/serger?  Well, first of all I found that the pattern had loads of notches which was super helpful – I used all of them & found that with something stretchy like jersey the notches allowed me to line everything up properly & with confidence.  I staystitched neck edges also, as you would with most neck edges, but this was particularly necessary with jersey.  I also used some form of seam stabiliser/ seam binding for the shoulder seams so that they didn’t stretch with the weight that is placed on them when finished.  But my best tip?  The one that helped me to get my seams lined up (& there are more that show when sewing in this kind of style where the seams are obvious & part of the design feature.  It was pinning & tacking.  But tacking only where you want the seams to line up – the area that I find greatest slippage occurs when overlocking (cos you want to get those pins out nice & early before hitting the blade, don’t you?)  Remember, despite all the bravado & attempts to impress, I’m still a sewing slob & want to cut corners – not for me excessive time spent hand sewing basting stitches, oh no!  Bare minimum, but just enough.

I haven’t worn it yet, but I’m thinking it could fit lots of occasions, both work and play. With its jersey shiftiness I reckon it’ll be great for hiding a big meal, a totally comfy travel dress, and bring an element of confident sophistication to the office.
What else commends this dress? Why it’s turquoise and will be accessorised by my fave shoes :-)

As for the pattern – it’s a pdf (as are all of the Victory Patterns) & the instructions were clear & contained diagrams & photos which I liked.  I can’t say that I followed them to the letter & also found myself picking up the odd tip / difference in method after I’d done it my way (eg I would have liked to tried gathering stitches for the sleeve head by sewing in one continuous line – out between the dots, turn 90 degrees for a couple of stitches & then back parallel to the start- but caught it after I’d done it my way!)  My interactions with Kristiann, the creative behind this pattern company, were all lovely, promptly answered and personal (eg I asked her opinion about whether it would suit jersey).  Thank you Kristiann (she said make sure you align to grainlines).

I’d definitely make this again.  LOVE it.  But which other patterns did I buy?  Well it was hard to choose.  Go have a look yourself.  I was also taken by ….

Well, Madeleine & Anouk of course!

Anyone else sewing for Victory?

57 thoughts on “It’s Victory for the Hazel dress

1. Mela

Eeek! So cute! I’ve been dying for someone to make this pattern. I bought it but haven’t put it together yet (no printer ink!). Did you need A4 paper? I only have 8.5×11 (letter size), that’s why I ask. I have my fabric picked out and everything so I really just need to get the pattern sorted.

Anyhow, love the color choices again. Can’t go wrong with a drapery dress with a bow.

1. Andrea

Mela – I saw your comments about the paper size and since I just printed two of her patterns, I can let you know that letter sized (81/2″ x 11″) paper works just fine. Go for it!

2. Lauren

Cute! I love your color combo & the fact that you did it up in jersey :) Jersey dresses are THE BEST imo – so soft & comfy & you can eat a whole box of cookies and no one will be the wiser.

3. Andrea

This is a great version of this dress – I hadn’t thought about it in jersey but it sure looks great. When I first saw this pattern I was put off by the lack of shaping, but you’ve done a great job at adding the necessary shape to it. And isn’t Kristiann great? I’ve been lucky enough to have her as my teacher twice and can’t wait to try one of her patterns. I have my sights set on Chloe.

Thanks Andrea – I only made a slight adjustment as I still wanted it to be a loose shifty dress. Wow – how lucky are you? It will mean all the more to you when you make one of her patterns. Chloe is also lovely – in fact I like all of them & I did find it hard to choose!

Thank you Allison, I’ll think of it as deliberate & be pleased that bits of turquoise & grey are in the bow at the same time.
    Mela, thank you also – it’s a lovely pattern – pretty straightforward – you’ve plenty of sewing experience to give it a go! I did use A4 paper…. could you get some when you get your ink?
    And Lauren- cheers too! I want even more jersey dresses! Too comfy for words…. & in a style like this it can be smart as well as comfy :-) Great not having to worry about waistbands + scoffing!!

Well…. I’m not sure it’s warm enough (but clearly want to – it would be perfect for hiding the excesses at the Voodoo rooms!) If thermals hide well enough underneath – maybe!

5. Magpie Mimi

You look lovely! I had been eyeing up these patterns but had dismissed them as thought they’d be too shapeless for me. Glad you got something else to wear those pretty shoes with! You’ll have a whole wardrobe based round those shoes soon! ;)

6. Catherine

What a gorgeous dress! I have had my eye on this pattern ….due to the floppy Mrs Slocombe neck bow…but had restrained myself from buying it due to my austerity drive but I might be tempted now having seen yours! I love the two tone bow…that was surely a flash of divine design inspiration.Make sure you make more.

7. Law

Thats so weird, as although i have been drooling over a few of these patterns since i first saw them, i don’t remember mentioning any deal on them, are you sure it was me?

Your dress is just an awesome two tone combo! The shift dress looks great on you. I’m a big fan of Madeline too, you should check out Paunnet’s blog as she’s made a great version.

It’s fab and I LOVE the two tone-ness of it. Yes, it is bigger than some some of your other makes but I think the cleverness of the design and your fine sewing abilities have given it just enough shape to still be slinky. And of course, it goes perfectly with your lovely shoes! x

9. Caroline

This looks great! I’m another one whose had the pattern for a while but not yet printed it, now versions are starting to pop up in blogland I’m getting more and more inspired!
    Not brave enough to tackle jersey though….

10. Alessa

Cute – the color combo is lovely! I also love that you made it from jersey – my favorite kind of dress! :) I’ve been thinking about buying a couple of Victory patterns (I love Anouk and Chloe!) but I’m thinking I should try out some of my other as-yet-unused patterns first…

11. Dibs

I love the colour combination. I saw these patterns through Lazystitching, and loved them. I have not bought them yet, but might. I don’t have a printer so PDF patterns don’t always get me excited. I’m finding it increasingly difficult to use my overlocker. How do you gauge your seam allowance on the overlocker?

Hi Dibs,
      My overlocker has got a kind of ruler gauge on it. I have also seen somewhere that before sewing you could make the smallest mark/ snip in the seam allowance to set your needle in the right place. I think I do that with a pin come to think of it. And I’m also cautious with pdf patterns as my printer is well dodgy – & the chance that I run out of ink & it all stops mid printing? Very high!!!

Ooh! I wish I had seen this before I saw you yesterday – I love this pattern! I also love the skirt and almost fell for the three pattern offer … but was having a “good” day (makes a change!)

13. Sølvi

Love! This is so cute and nice and pretty and gorgeous and every other superlative I can come up with! This Victory patterns label seems very interesting… Hope you had a great time in Edinburgh, by the way! :-)

14. Hillary

Absolutely adore it, and what a great color combination!! Love the contrast color on the back of the ties too! I just found out about this pattern company this week from another blog, such adorable designs!

15. Tilly

Oh it’s lovely! Good work. And yes, perfect for office sophistication… and eating a massive pie for lunch! In a good way, bien sur.

I’ve downloaded this pattern, still pondering over a colour combo that would a) go well together and b) suit me. Black and white would be nice but knowing me I’d spill stuff all down the white bit. So I’m holding out for red and navy blue.

Thank you everyone for such lovely comments. I’m so happy to read that you might be tempted yourselves to make it also, & that some of you also have downloaded it. It will be awesome checking out other people’s colour combinations!

17. Joanne

Ooh that’s vair vair nice indeed. I really like the two tone neck tie – the glimpse of colour there is very cute. I’ve got this pattern and my fabric for it but it will be at least a month before I get to work on it – can’t wait! This is the first Victory Hazel I’ve seen and it’s as adorable as I’d hoped it would be! I also love Paunnet’s version of the Madeleine – have you seen it? Gorgeous too.

18. Ali

It is Victory for the Hazel! This is such a gorgeous pattern and I love your color combo. I think I’ve fallen down the knit dress rabbit hole — I don’t want to wear anything else! And why not make a good looking knit dress where no one knows you feel like you’re lounging about? The bow makes it so distinctive.

I’ve just printed out and traced the Lola — whew. I don’t know why that takes the wind out of me. But I can’t wait — I suspect I’ll be wearing it all winter and into spring. Thanks for the inspiration. :)

19. Paunnet

I’m so happy to see the Hazel dress made out and what a cute dress you made! This pattern is on my to-do list and now I want to make it as soon as possible!

20. Kristiann

Hi everyone! I love this version of Hazel. The color combo is great, and it looks awesome in jersey! Nice going!! Its so exciting to see everyone’s versions popping up. I wanted to let you know that the patterns can be printed on both a4 and letter, and I also have print shop versions available if that’s your preference. Also, if you make this dress in woven fabric and you would like to give it more shape at the waist, just keep it mind that this is a slip on dress and it still needs to be loose enough to slip in/out of it. Jersey has stretch which makes this easy, but woven makes fitting a bit more limited. There should still be a bit of room to do it, but keep that in mind.

Looking forward to seeing more of everyone’s projects!!

Hi kristiann, thanks for the lovely comment and answering the query re printing. You make a very good point about the shaping and it being knit fabric- I will update my blog post to draw attention to this. Thank you also for such a cute pattern- I hope you can tell how much I love it!!

21. Joy

I think you’re right about quirky yet very wearable. The color combination is great; it’s especially nice with the sleeve hem bands to tie the colors in together. It looks a little sack-like on the model, but the fit on you looks slimmer and flattering.

22. Adrienne

Cool! this is the first time I had heard about victory pattern so thank you for bringing it to my attention! And your Hazel is fabulous! I love clothes that look chic, but that are secretly super comfortable. Monday morning kind of clothes. :-)

23. Foster

Cute dress. I didn’t know about Victory Patterns until now and am going to look them up. It is interesting to hear you did this on your overlock. I’m always a little afraid to use mine since I am always unpicking!

Hi Foster & thank you – it is scary using an overlocker & I was crossing my fingers sewing the neck edge thinking “if I get this wrong I’ve not only got to unpick, but there’s less fabric left to play with ….” I had a steady hand, took my time & kept faith that it would work!

24. Cation Designs

I only just heard of Victory Patterns this year and suddenly I’m seeing Hazels everywhere! I love what you’ve done with the tie, and that color combo is super spiffy! My only concern is that dresses without waist definition make me feel like I look pregnant, but then when I look at other people wearing them it looks fine, so I may have to reconsider.

25. thesecretlifeofseams

I love this! I was waiting to see a version of the Hazel dress pop up and I’m so glad I saw your knit version. Knit dresses are genius in my mind and your colour choices are fun but classy. I’m so tempted to buy the pattern now aghhhh.
    One question though: did you sew a size smaller because of the stretch/lack of need for ease or just use the same size as you would have for a woven?

Hello and thank you!! Thinking back I don’t think I did cut out a smaller size because I knew it was a loose fit and the fabric wouldn’t be made to stretch when wearing. Also, i wasnt going to chance cutting smaller as this was the first time i made it! I wanted the option reduce if necessary. Hope that helps?

26. Amy

Wow Winnie, it’s lovely – great colour combination. I’ve got the Hazel too, just choosing the fabric – thanks for the tip on shaping, I don’t do sack-like either! I’ve also got the Chloe pattern, and have got my beady eye on a few more…

27. Amy

Wow, it’s fab – love the colour combination. I’ve got Hazel, just choosing fabrics now – thanks for the tip on shaping, I don’t do sack-like either! I also bought the Chloe, but so tempted by the Anouk!

28. Sassy T

I disregarded this pattern, then I saw yours, love the collar being the same as the contrast much prefer it, more funky. Exactly what am going to do if I ever get around to purchasing this pattern (I have a pattern wishlist that is spiralling out of control)

Thank you Sassy T, I vaguely remember that I was eeking fabric out, not really having enough for the tie being in a single colour, but did always want it to be in contrast.
      Good luck with yours & enjoy making it!

29. Pingback: Friday and books and clothes and stuff | Diana & Me