24-hour-sewing-knitting-crafting-party-people (Edinburgh edition)

It was the Crafters’ Ceilidh, January 21st 2012.  Did Edinburgh know what hit it?

The fabric shops were most definitely aware that a whole flood of sewists had just entered their emporia, performing that dressmaker’s ritual exponential times over of rubbing fabric from practically every single bolt between fingers & thumb, adding in a stroke to the really tactile fabrics.  Surely they were grateful that they had to lock us in at closing time, so we wouldn’t get away much fabric were we buying?  But what about others in Edinburgh?  We were clearly a pack, each identifiable by a beautiful fabric flower brooch.

Image from Kestrel Finds & Makes

We formed crocodiles to cross roads.  We walked with purpose, ignoring the draw of any shop that did not scratch the handmade/ vintage itch.  But to those working on Lothian buses that had the (mis)fortune to encounter us I think we were just “tourists” and they could only be bemused.   Bemused at the hordes of fabric laden ladies trooping onto their fleet in one go and disembarking (in almost) one go.  Bemused also at the complete lack of understanding about how you buy your ticket on a bus, probably common to tourists, and small children, not just sewists.   Bemused but patronisingly understanding that someone dressed in such a “unique and handmade” dress (& less unique but also lovingly handmade snood) could so easily misplace the ticket purchased just 5 minutes before (the phrase “dippy badger mare” I’m sure went through his mind).

This post will hopefully add to what’s already been written & I shall try not to repeat content of other excellent accounts of the day.  But read Debi & Kerry’s versions (two of the organisers along with Kristin), Karen’s here at Didyoumakethat, and Roobeedoo has penned her version also.  They all contain some excellent photos, reflect the fun & the characters, describe the day’s activities as well as the joy & wonder that coming together “IRL” brings to the online sewing community.

You can also get an idea of how many of us there were & what a challenge & great job these lovely ladies made in organising us.  Thank you so much, Debi, Kristin & Kerry.  (Apologies for the random photo editing using Picnik’s bits & pieces.  It’s an expression of happiness)

Karen (Didyoumakethat), Roobeedoo (in their handmade coats & hats) and me (not)

As is always the case, we caught up with old friends and made new ones, & this time missed Miss Dibs.  Had a fair few giggles & much sewing chatter.  There was an occasional stray away from sewing talk onto other subjects – but it didn’t happen very often!  Yes, I bought some fabric, mostly linings with a couple of surprise bargain purchases to make some tops & a silk skirt.   I was really taken by the vintage shop, Armstrong’s in the Grassmarket.  I couldn’t resist taking a few photos of the wonderful arrangements that appealed to my rainbow love…

And evidence of what you might be seeing appearing being made on Debi’s blog in the future ….

Another shot below of some amazing outerwear, marveled at by all….

In the midst of the two finest handmade coats!Karen & Kerry (Kestrel finds and Makes)

I would love to know the statistics- the cumulative group miles walked, the total metres of fabric purchased, the numbers of patterns swapped …This unfortunate pattern below was not wanted by anyone once Rachel (sadly not a blogger because she’s a funny lady) had finished her “anti-sell” of it.  She drew everyone’s attention to the styling, the severity of the models.  Fine if you like the 90s “efficient uniform” look.  Fine perhaps if you bought it second hand as part of a bundle.  But this one she bought new!  She had us in stitches – very apt for a bunch of sewists.

I feel super lucky having benefited from the pattern swap (no, the pattern above is not in my possession).  Check out this perfect sailor trousers pattern – it has that “special opening” – what is a front flap called?  I am thrilled to bits to have this one, even though I will need to grade it up a bit- or enter train for  5 full marathons.

But a very slow burning appreciation dawned on me for my other pattern.  At first, no one was interested.  Its light was hidden under the proverbial bushel, it was one of the figures of fun.   How cruel!  During the “desperation round” where Kate bigged up the patterns no one appeared to want, I saw the light.  This my friends is genius.  This my friends takes Christmas present making for my sons (23 & 19) to a new level.  They have been warmed up over the last few years with made by Mum boxer shorts, flannel PJ trousers, and even handmade shirts.  What could possibly be next?  How could I surprise them in Christmas 2012?

See those outfits on the right?  Perfect.  My lads are Star Wars nerds (admittedly traditionalists preferring the superior Episodes 4-6 –  they detest Jar Jar Binks & the young Anakin – but who doesn’t?).  This will be something I can start sewing earlier than my usual November.  It will be something that will get heaps of laughs, be worn for 10 minutes on Christmas day, but will lurk in a bottom drawer, ready to be pulled out for all future fancy dress.  Gone is the laziness of deciding on the day of the party to dress up as a pimp.   There completes my function as a mother that sews.  I believe that I have not only Roobeedoo to thank, but everyone else at the pattern swap for not swiping this before me.  I am super grateful  – thank you all!!  Truly.  Thank you for all for such a wonderful day & evening – it was a veritable pleasure.

Which just leaves me to say, wasn’t Edinburgh the perfect beautiful location?  Does the sun always shine, are there always blue skies?  It seems so every time I visit.  OK, maybe not all day, & maybe there was a bit of a nippy wind, but I was well equipped with a draft-banishing snood, wasn’t I?   Can I also recommend the most wonderful veggie guest house?  Cathy at the Claymore on Pilrig Street was just the best hostess, 100% brilliant veggie breakfast maker, largest display of wonderful Pre-Raphaelite pictures & was also totally into the whole sewing blogger meet up – she may even have been encouraged to visit the Sewing Bee Cafe when it opens its doors…

36 thoughts on “24-hour-sewing-knitting-crafting-party-people (Edinburgh edition)

1. didyoumakethat

Ha, ha, ha! I burst out laughing at least three times reading this. Ian kept asking, ‘What are you laughing at?’ A brilliant summary. I can’t wait to see your sewing adventures following this. May the force be with you!

2. Kerry

What an excellent round up of the day – I think you captured the spirit perfectly!

I beleve I ended up with 2 of your patterns – the slip and the 80s-does-50s dress. So excited to make that slip, and all pattern parts are in the envelope too!

Kerry- that is brilliant! I’m so glad ! I went through a phase of buying slip patterns, so have a couple already (yet to make a good one though). I’m also glad that you were convinced by my 80s does 50s dress! In theory it should be lovely & I’m sure your version will prove that to all the unbelievers!

3. Debi

BRILLIANT! I love the photo editing with captions…especially the ‘…smell vintage…’ one. giggle! I had so much fun yesterday and so happy to spend time with you!!! YAY!

Your sons are going to be DELIGHTED with their Star Wars costumes Winnie, although I’m always an appreciative audience of a nice pimp outfit! Very, very sorry not have been there with you all, definitely next time. x
    ps. LOVE the sailor trousers pattern!

5. Jill-Ellen's-Mum

Hello Winnie,

Would you like another two copies of the cape pattern? I desperately tried to persuade Ellen to wear the cape for the singing reenactments she did when working at Folk South West but to no avail. I could send them to you via Manchester when she gets back from NZ …

Great blog btw, you’re being admired on Ravelry as I type – some of us double up as sewsters as well as spinners and knitters!

Jill aka wrigglefingers

HI Jill,
      Thank you for stopping by & leaving such a laughter – inducing offer! I have a feeling that one of these cape patterns is more than enough (as you are clearly feeling!) but thank you for the thought!. And thank you also for your lovely comment – another reason to invest some time in Ravelry (I WILL get over there ) I can fully appreciate that sewsters (nice expression!) get involved in all crafts – that’s certainly my idea of heaven. Looking forward to finding out more 🙂

Yay! What a fun day! And I can’t WAIT to see you take on those sailor trousers! Now I desperately need to make a pair of sailor shorts before summer hits!

Hello Catherine! I won’t hear of you feeling ashamed ! I think it was also the styling that we enjoyed (but didn’t want!). However Rachel also liked that kind of collar too – hence buying it in the first place, so you are not alone. And yes, I am with you on the Star Wars pattern – it’s surely a winner!

7. Rachel

Didn’t we have a fun day! I’m so glad I came and got to met you all. Thank you for paying me such a nice compliment too. Between what I’ve seen from you and Melizza (and now I see there are more to look at during my lunch hour); I may just be getting inspired to blog… I can’t wait to see those shorts made up – they will be fab!

NOBODY ELSE wanted it? Pourquoi pas? I thought there would be a veritable SCRUM of sewists battling for that pattern! 😉
    Winnie – I love your captions, and you get the prize for being the only person with a photo of me with my eyes open – clearly I was totally blissed out!
    It was such a fab day and SO much fun to meet you!

O Roo & Rachel, it really was a pleasure – I had so much fun & Roo, having “known” you so long it was my bliss too to finally give you a great big hug & be able to speak to you 🙂

9. Christine

That looks like a fabulous time out! I’m glad you all had such a great time. I laughed out loud at your Star Wars plans. (I presume your sons don’t read your blog?) Ta for your good wishes as well x

And you too Amanda-it was wonderful! I am looking forward to catching your blog now. It’s great finding even more inspiration & after seeing that huge polka dot dress I shall follow you closely!

10. Pingback: Mass Blogger Meet-up… hilarity ensues! « KristenMakes

Alana, I had so much fun meeting you too & hope your dorm was bearable! Yes, there would have been space at my B&B. I am so glad I met you as well, huge laughs with you & I’m going to really enjoy reading your adventures post Edinburgh. 🙂

11. Melizza

It was great seeing you again! Thanks for a nice laugh and nice close-up of “that” pattern 🙂 I will keep that photo in my pattern memory forever.

Hi Melizza, I’m jealous you were smart enough to make a proper stay of it & hope you continued to have a wonderful time. I really enjoyed meeting you again & look forward to seeing what you make with the fabric that you bought 🙂 Yay!!

12. Catherine

I actually really like that pattern that noone wants – it appeals to me in a strange way!

Looks like an amazing day.. I shall have to see if I can come to a meet up one day..

The Burda pattern has distinct overtones of Star Trek uniforms, circa … 1980s? 1990s? (I stopped watching in about the middle of the Patrick Stewart series.) Looks like what they had the red-haired female doctor swan about in, most of the time. Maybe it’s just the vinyl gloves they’ve used to style the photo shoot.

14. Karen

Winnie! The last time I was at a ceilidh we were doing the Dashing Whit Sergeant & the Duke of Perth! Looks like you had a great time. Thanks for the details for those of us too far away to attend.

15. Lorna

I just had to pop over and see the Star Wars pattern that Roo mentioned. What a brilliant “Master Plan For Star Wars World Domination.” I feel already that your sons are going to be over the moon with their gifts, miles better than socks. I will have to pop back when they are completed. (For the record I too prefer the “original” films. I just couldn’t get into the new ones, I already knew how they ended lol.)

Hi Lorna & thank you for joining in the Star Wars World Domination encouragement. It’s comments like yours that fill me with determination to carry out the plan, whatever challenges lie ahead!