New Look 6000, Pan Am inspired

You know the sweet French stewardess from Pan Am?

Source

What do you think ?

Yes, here come some teaser shots of the finished New Look 6000.  Apologies they are in poor indoor evening light & I will try to get some better ones in daylight at the weekend.  So you know I was going to debut this dress at our team’s Christmas drinkie-poos?  Well, unfortunately I was ill, & clearly SO essential was I, that it was cancelled when I couldn’t make it.  (I think I’d built their expectation levels to a frenzy over this dress, & they couldn’t cope with the disappointment of not seeing it)*.  What that means is that this dress has not been road tested: this evening’s wear for photos was its first real try on.  Have I left enough ease in it I wonder?  What’ll it be like sitting down (after all the planning to manage the strain over my not slimline rump)?  The answers to that question remain to be seen.

I do REALLY like this dress.  I have written about some of its construction here, the joys of underlining & my personal variations.  I am not totally sure if I have go the fit completely right (although in the photo above I am twisting slightly which is perhaps the cause of the creases above the waistline).  Styling wise, I want to make more of these!  Jane has made a glorious version in doubleknit without a zip.  How wonderful would that be?  Not only is it a lovely dress to make, I can see it being made out of lots of different kinds of fabric (Oh, funny that, how amazing would it be to see everyone’s makes in  “New Look 6000 Fest” ?

I can’t wait!  I am so excited at seeing other people’s frocks!!

Ha ha ha some more – still haven’t made a groovy blog button …. in design though – I’ll try to have something finished over the weekend.  Anyway, plan is to start the grand reveal from the 19th December when anyone who’s joined this party & is ready to show & shine.

Please leave me a link to your blog post or email me your pictures & anything you’d like me to display (eg fabric details)  I think it would also be good to have a “likeometer” rating showing your personal satisfaction with the frock out of 10?   Maybe details of its first outing & how many unsolicited comments of admiration you received?

If you haven’t a blog, please email me at: scruffybadgertime(at)gmail(dot)com

And check back on the 19th to see who’s in so far!  If you haven’t quite finished, no worries, leave a status report & Ill share that too….

*Actually, we’re only a small team & 2/5 of us were unable to come, clearly the other three didn’t like each other enough to spend too much social time together……

48 thoughts on “New Look 6000, Pan Am inspired

Oh no! I clearly didn’t read the small print properly and didn’t realise we were all supposed to wait until 19th December to showcase our dresses. Duh. Sorry about that Winnie. Anyway, yours looks glorious and I agree with the others about that shade of blue, it’s lovely. I like the button on the collar too – I left mine off so I could wear a brooch with it, but forgot to add a brooch in the photos! You see? Clearly not with it! Can’t wait to see all the others’. x
    PS> Hope you’re feeling better now? You’re looking fab anyway. x

Jane, you don’t need to wait until 19th – not a problem at all – some people will have already made theirs & they will have been on display to the world. All I’m going to do is bring as many together as I can!
      Thank you everyone for the lovely blue comments!

2. Joanne

Words fail me – that is utterly utterly gorgeous! I’m seriously considering ditching the gathered side for mine as both yours and Jane’s are gorgeous with just the darts. Wowsers. Simply fabulous. I finally got my pattern this week and I have to finish another piece and get some lining fabric before I start but hope to have it ready to wear on Xmas day. Can’t wait!

3. Kerry

Lovely! Colour is beautiful and the fit looks good too. Very impressed with the efforts you made for the photos!

Mine is coming along slowly but I will have time over the weekend to make progress with it. Thanks for answering my question about the lining, I have resolved the issue and decided to do a normal lining and hopefully will be able to put it in properly without any hiccups! :)

4. charlotte

I can not believe I have missed out on this! I wanted to buy this pattern but the shop was out of stock just a month or so ago. I love the blue and saw Janes red too, all looking splendid!

Thanks Charlotte & hello! I have noticed that the online place I normally get patterns (Jaycotts) has been out of stock for a while on this one too …. hopefully you’ll be able to get one yourself before long.

5. Andrea

That dress is amazing! It looks awesome on you and that hairdo (is it a wig?) is also a good style on you. I’ll stay tuned for a post-test drive blog post. Hope you’re feeling better :)

It is actually a cut that would make any self respecting hairdresser shudder – dressmaking scissors (paper cutters) holding wig over the bin. Chop chop. In the bedroom over the cream carpet – very rash when the hoover is not what it used to be ….

6. Tanit-Isis

My gosh, aren’t you adorable! LOVE! I do hope the ease isn’t a problem, because it looks divine as it is. That is the exact colour I’ve decided I want for the Zoe Coat. I even found the fabric, except that at $50/m, it’s going to have to wait for a sale before I can pick it up…

I know you’re a fancy dress chick, the wig is a Smiffy’s joke one – I bought it for a themed 40th birthday party – Wigs & black tie. I wore a genuine 60s Cheong Sam. Loved it!

Oh, you look perfectly darling! Love the gloves — did you have to wear them as a child? I was forced to wear white gloves until about 1968 or 69. Then I rebelled against them. The red handbag is a nice touch, both in color and shape. I really, really like the Elizabeth Taylor-as-Cleopatra effect of the wig. You could line your eyes in thick black eyeliner, as in the late 1960s version of the “doe eye.” (I vaguely remember slathering on bright blue eyeshadow and “vanilla” lipstick. Which was odd for a ten-year-old.) Happy holy days/Merry Christmas/Happy Hanukkah!

Hi LinB,
      No I didn’t have to wear gloves as a child – I had mittens on elastic, that was about it. Thank you for the styling comments- I don’t always make the effort! Thank you Happy days to you too xx

8. Tabatha Tweedie

It looks fab on you! I wore mine today for the first time and got hubby to take a few pictures so I will be blogging about the dress on Monday probably and will send you a link! Looking forward to seeing everyone else’s – obviously seen Jane’s and that’s gorgeous too – I think you ladies look much better in your versions than I do in mine…