Getting a bit wiser

I’m getting in my stride with double moss stitch. Look, my Wisdom cardigan is growing. There are no obvious mistakes. (apart from this pic being upside down, ha ha! Trying out the wordpress app on my iPhone)

20111024-225054.jpg

The last time I wrote about this knitting I was in a quandary and state of semi reluctance about tension squares. Thanks to everyone’s advice I sat and knitted two more tension squares. Thing is neither were right and so I went with the needles that gave the right number of rows but not stitches- or was it the other way round? Can’t remember! I’d love to know what the advice would be next time.

13 thoughts on “Getting a bit wiser

1. Catherine

You know what I think about tension squares.Your knitting looks fine to me without them and anyway sometimes it is nice to just live life right on the edge and start knitting regardless of the wisdom of others.
    Congrats on the half marathon and I don’t think you have noticed but I have nominated you for an award over on my blog.

Thank you Catherine … we shall see whether I made the fateful error, or got away with it. Thanks also for the nomination …I will pop over & check it out- I’ve got some blog reading to catch up on …

2. Helen

It’s usually best to go with the needles that give you the right stitch tension. Row tension would most likely affect the length of the garment which is easier to tweak if you need to.

In reality I feel the same as Catherine about tension squares, I often just knit the sleeve first and call that my tension square!

3. Andrea

I just realized we “may” be knitting the same sweater! I say “may” because I picked the pattern two weeks ago and after several failed gauge attempts I’m going to the yarn store today during my lunch break to pick up more suitable yarn. I have not given up yet… Yours is coming along lovely and that colour is so nice!

Andrea that’s funny – Solvi is also knitting this pattern! I shall look out for what yarn you choose! We’ll probably all chose different colours – how wonderful. (But you’ll both finish before me!)

I am probably the last person to advise on tension squares, as I tend to knit what looks right and worry about the size later (ahem). If your rows are right then it will turn out the right length. if your stitches are right, it will turn out the right width. But there is this wonderful concept called “ease” which you know from sewing but comes into its own with knitting – basically it can usually be persuaded to stretch to fit! And before you ask, no I have not yet tried on my new cardigan-in-progress.

What sense! Of course …. somehow I didn’t think it through like that Roo. I’m glad to hear about the ease & stretch … have to watch out for shrink too in the wash! And you don’t knit tension squares?! I know I should try not to be inspired by your approach, but the speedy -wanting-to-start in me likes it!

Hurray for you, for doing the tension thing, even if you ignored the results! (They’re necessary, since even a half stitch too much or too little is multiplied exponentially across the garment.) But you’re probably close enough that the sweater will fasten around you, and not swallow you whole. Worst case is that you ravel and re-knit, which is no worse than unpicking and resewing a sewn garment. Love the color.

6. Sølvi

Oooo – that is some nice progress! I´m on my first sleeve, but I get a bit carried away when I knit, I get crazy tension in my head and neck, and have to stop for a while…so don´t know when I´ll finish…

About tension, I usually knit a tension square, and just change the needles if the tension is a bit off, Wisdom knit in Rowan Felted Tweed is supposed to have 0% ease, or so I´ve heard on Ravelry, so it´s good to check the tension throughout the knitting progress…I really think it´s just as with sewing, just measure during the process, and you´ll be fine! ;-)

7. Bella

I almost always do the tension square (gosh, what the heck is that called in American English?!)…I generally find I knit a bit tight, so end up going to bigger needles. But I often find it’s useful to get used to working w/ the yarn & needles & the pattern (if it’s got anything unusual in it). I knit pretty quickly, so it doesn’t take me much time to do one. I don’t like do-overs, so it’s another way to prevent them.